Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477913 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2010, 04:01:39 am »

Lovely balanced shot; recognize the sea feeling...(!)...

I've still got a stack of the Kodachrome stuff, but as I have no people to photograph anymore, it'll just die when the granddaughters throw out the freezer and all who sailed in her. However, I'll leave a note explaining the historical value and even the character-building cache that resides within those sacred cassettes. Just hope they don't open them to see what I'm talking about.

I guess that once you've lived by the ocean you just can't say goodbye to it.

I've spent the past few days scanning a further sixty-four transparencies connected with the sea - mainly from guesting aboard of from work travels around the place, and have begun a new gallery in my site called Sea. It makes me realise that I could probably have been just as happy (and now perhaps rich enough to own/run my own boat) had I tried to work for yacht brokers instead of dress makers and their asscociated peddlers. However, having said that, I don't know a single broker who actually owns his own boat. Must be a lesson there!

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

I recognize myself as suicidal away from the sea...
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2010, 05:04:44 am »

Pat, in my case even the sea isn't that much of a help. Most of my happy days were connected with it, in one form or another, but it took two. That can neither return nor be replaced, so in a sense, the sea is also a constant reminder of loss, a subliminal surf that's my permanent background to life.

On the bright side, that loss would be felt regardless, and at least I can still go for the same walks and share the same inner moments of togetherness that were, even at the time, an individual's part of the whole.

I wonder when people say there is no God; I follow no religion but I certainly see evidence of a Power everywhere I look, within everything I feel or touch, but I think it's obviously far beyond Man's ability to quantify or qualify.

Rob C

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2010, 08:32:02 am »

Rob, one for you (as a reaction to your story about the sea)

pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2010, 09:55:36 am »

Rob, one for you (as a reaction to your story about the sea)

It fits very well. Other than that there are seldom any boats that size around these parts - it's a quite tight bay but given to huge storms in winter - the mood is very very recognized by me!

There's something about solitude and the ocean that gets to the soul; maybe it's to do with the idea that, as a species, we came from the sea. Whatever the truth, there's something both comforting and sad about standing there in the wind, alone with your thoughts and memories, and facing God alone knows what's to come.

I find I can't bear to go there in summer when it's busy; it's like an intrusion into myself. Come winter, it's just me and some few other unknown people lost in their own thoughts.

Thanks for the image; it touches deeply, even down to the colour.

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:38 am »

Speaking of the sea...

"In His Father's Footsteps"

(Lightroom 1, even)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2010, 03:05:59 pm »

Nice sense of what the title proclaims!

Incidentally, have you noticed how the last two shots have almost identical sea colour? We used to get that light slate look on the west of Scotland sometimes.

The sweat, blood and tears I'm shedding at the moment doing my (probably last!) set of scans presents me with problems in the other direction. The seas seem to have too much red or magenta most of the time, and I have to do a hell of a lot of masking off to change the water colours only; doing a general alteration, whether dark, medium or highlight, simply effs everything else. That's a very good reason for preferring b/white!

Thing is, once these shots are up and running, I'm faced with the problem of actually doing something new. I sometimes wonder why one does all this; suppose it could be worse: football or something. Well, watching it is what I meant.

Rob C

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2010, 05:04:37 am »

Very nice picture Mike, symbolic and well executed!

The fathers strong stride made me think about the strong stride of this contrarian:

It takes the thread off the ocean, but now leaves us the question, do we follow the person or the arrow ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2010, 06:39:41 am »

Very nice picture Mike, symbolic and well executed!

The fathers strong stride made me think about the strong stride of this contrarian:

It takes the thread off the ocean, but now leaves us the question, do we follow the person or the arrow ;)

You do both: you spin!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:15 am »

Just because I like Michael's curent cover shot with the cat lens, I thought of this one that shows that though you can get doughnuts, you can also get peanuts if that suits you.

500mm cat Nikkor on Kodachrome 200 via yellow rear filter (no pun etc.), a film I should have used more often.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:24:51 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2010, 02:12:18 pm »

Having grown up close to the sea, learnt to drive ( damn those Landrovers) on loose sand, happily spending a large part of my growing up period with the waves as background music, and having made a living from it for a while I tend to feel the same. Living in the mountains with the fog and unpredictable wheather tires me. Fortunately my escape is an hour and a bit drive away. Even though I have strong words with myself sometimes for driving around so late at night- just to see the full moon rise over the Indian Ocean- I tend to feel better for a while, after having listened to the rythm of the waves.   

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:36 pm »

The beach shots reminded me of an image I had taken in Albany, Western Australia of a father and his sons emerging from the dawn mist.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2010, 07:33:34 pm »

Ok then, looks like the name of the game is 'people by the sea', so I'll play too:

tom b

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2010, 09:05:32 pm »

I was thinking about beach images when I remembered these shots. Taken on the beach at Puri just south of Calcutta in 1978. I was amazed that anyone could go into the surf with six metres of cloth wrapped around them. Luckily they had lifesavers, that's the guy with the white cane hat on. One day there was a pod of dolphins surfing the waves. Unfortunately someone stole my t shirt whilst I watching them, pretty good for 14 months travelling through Asia and Europe.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

tokengirl

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2010, 03:10:56 pm »

Well I'm here to break the theme with a little Monday afternoon irony:

Xpan/45mm, HP5+ in Rodinal

tom b

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2010, 05:32:31 pm »

You can't ditch the beach that easily. Turkey 1978, Leica CL and TRI-X.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:10 am »

Hey Tom, is that water in that shot?

All seriousness aside, I don't often make an image that I'm REALLY happy with, but this one turned out pretty well...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2010, 01:23:57 am »

If it's not breaking the "rules" of Rob's thread, can I say I think this is a lovely image Mike? I love the combination of energy and stillness and the way the eye is lead.
Cheers, David

Rob C

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2010, 03:55:44 am »

The beach shots reminded me of an image I had taken in Albany, Western Australia of a father and his sons emerging from the dawn mist.

Cheers,

Tom, that really is a very good picture! The atmosphere is amazingly strong; I wish I had more of an eye for those things myself. I used to imagine that I didn't make that kind of shot because I didn't have the clients that sought them - now I think the truth may be that I just didn't notice them if they happened under my nose. The closest I ever got was a series of a girl on a very windy beach in Kenya wearing a long robe thing my wife bought for the job in a shop there; I have not even a tranny left: the client failed to return anything from the shoot, a bitter one that marked the end of a great relationship. Fortunately, the blowing sand didn't ruin the F2!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:20 am »

Mike

Nice image; are you also one of those who craves a square sensor in a 35mm body?

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75   Go Up