Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to change the colour of the sky, not the water and everything else!  (Read 3358 times)

dreed

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1728

As the subject says, quite often I want to change the colour of the sky but I'm yet to find a piece of software that will let me do that.

Software will happily change the hue/saturation/luminosity of blue, but if there is blue in the picture aside from the sky, then that gets changed too.

If I try "select colour" with PS, then it selects all the blues, not just those in the sky(!)

I've tried various "make the sky bluer" things but again, if there is any blue elsewhere then that gets changed too! Or worse, something that isn't blue becomes blue.

Is this such a hard thing for graphics folks to understand?

There's usually quite a distinctive border between what I want to change (the sky) and what I don't want to change (everything else)

Tips anyone?
Logged

Josh-H

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2086
    • Wild Nature Photo Travel

Whats wrong with doing this with a standard 'Mask' in Photoshop?
Logged
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Dave Carter

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • http://

Select the sky using the "Magic Wand Tool".  It will take a number of clicks to select the full sky.  Make sure that while you are selecting, you have the CONTIGUOUS box checked in the tool bar choices.  That way blues in other areas of the picture will not be selected.  After you are happy with your total selection, go ahead and make your color change on the sky only.
Logged

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Whats wrong with doing this with a standard 'Mask' in Photoshop?

Naah... too banal. OP wants a software able to read his mind... a noble idea though.

Kirk Gittings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1561
    • http://www.KirkGittings.com

So.......you add a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer, make the adjustment, add a Vector Mask, paint OUT the adjustment where you don't want it.........what could be easier. It takes like a minute.
Logged
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto

Hi,

You could try color mechanic http://dl-c.com/content/view/16/30/

Best regards
Erik



As the subject says, quite often I want to change the colour of the sky but I'm yet to find a piece of software that will let me do that.

Software will happily change the hue/saturation/luminosity of blue, but if there is blue in the picture aside from the sky, then that gets changed too.

If I try "select colour" with PS, then it selects all the blues, not just those in the sky(!)

I've tried various "make the sky bluer" things but again, if there is any blue elsewhere then that gets changed too! Or worse, something that isn't blue becomes blue.

Is this such a hard thing for graphics folks to understand?

There's usually quite a distinctive border between what I want to change (the sky) and what I don't want to change (everything else)

Tips anyone?
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

Wolfman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
    • www.bernardwolf.com

Duplicate layer> go to hue & saturation and select blue in the window where it says master and use the + eyedropper and sample the blue sky in a few areas and now you can use the sliders to saturate, lighten or darken and hue change... after you get what you want mask it if other areas happen to change and paint them back to original color.

dreed

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1728

Select the sky using the "Magic Wand Tool".  It will take a number of clicks to select the full sky.  Make sure that while you are selecting, you have the CONTIGUOUS box checked in the tool bar choices.  That way blues in other areas of the picture will not be selected.  After you are happy with your total selection, go ahead and make your color change on the sky only.

This almost does it...

And this is something that I'll have to remember.

The case I'm trying to fix might just be too hard to do without some use of the erase.

The image that I'm trying to work on has a snow covered mountain under a blue sky, with shadows on the mountain quite close to the hue of the sky where the edge of the mountain in shadow meets the sky.

The magic wand with contiguous does, however, get almost everything else right.
Logged

walter.sk

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1433

It sounds as if you are not aware that for any areas that get selected by mistake, you can go to the Lasso tool, hold the Alt key down, and draw around the unwanted selection.  It will disappear.
Logged

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site

It sounds as if you are not aware that for any areas that get selected by mistake, you can go to the Lasso tool, hold the Alt key down, and draw around the unwanted selection.  It will disappear.
Or you can use quick mask (q) and paint the selection you want.

Jeremy
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: I want to change the colour of the sky, not the water and everything else!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:33:32 am »

Hi,

I came up with this idea:

-Duplicate background layer
- Use Channels, press "Option CMD 4", if #4 is your blue channel, than click on the mask icon in the layer dialog. This would add the blue channel (containing the sky) as a halftone mask. This way you can manipulate the sky and the rest of the image will be protected. The strongness of the mask can be changed by edit levels or curves on the mask.

Best regards
Erik



As the subject says, quite often I want to change the colour of the sky but I'm yet to find a piece of software that will let me do that.

Software will happily change the hue/saturation/luminosity of blue, but if there is blue in the picture aside from the sky, then that gets changed too.

If I try "select colour" with PS, then it selects all the blues, not just those in the sky(!)

I've tried various "make the sky bluer" things but again, if there is any blue elsewhere then that gets changed too! Or worse, something that isn't blue becomes blue.

Is this such a hard thing for graphics folks to understand?

There's usually quite a distinctive border between what I want to change (the sky) and what I don't want to change (everything else)

Tips anyone?
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 
Pages: [1]   Go Up