Thanks Fred,
There is a nice story to this and if it's off topic or anyone doesn't want to be bored by it, this just skip it.
Last year was approached by an Atlanta Ad agency to shoot some kind of spec spot for a soft drink. You know, using real people in real situations.
I was in our Dallas studio so I thought I'd go out to this dirt track, Devil's Bowl Speedway and location scout it.
Once I got there I shot a few frames in succession with a D3 and D700 and kind of flipped through them and they looked great in sequence, so I thought what the hell, just shoot the still camera like a motion camera and kept shooting.
I shot about 2,000 frames, color graded em' in lightroom and stuck them together in the non linear editor and like the look so then we storyborded the project brought out a couple of models and went back two weeks later to fill in the blanks and give it a "commercial" look.
The commercial part just didn't work. Well it did, but it kind of ruined the whole idea and at this point it morphed from a commercial project to something I cared about deeply.
BTW: Dallas is like any Metropolitan area. I know most people probably think it's cowboys and Redneck Strip Joints (and there is some of that), but it's mostly high end restaurants, Scoop, Prada, Mercedes and Toyota Pruius'. In other words kind of sissified like the rest of the major metro world.
Now if you go 40 miles out of Dallas it turns into the real world of people that get dirt under their fingernails, eat corndogs on a stick, cheer for the local hero and say excuse me if they stand in your way.
So I shot the second session with the Nikons and a 5d, licensed a great song by Noreen Braun and cut the piece together. I love this piece and am proud of it.
Heres the video.
http://russellrutherfordphoto.com/#/Motion%20Imagery/Motion%20Imagery/1A side note is between going back out, I made a couple of prints for those to gentlemen in the photograph Fred linked to. I explained that I loved this image and these prints were for them. They both looked at the two prints and kind of stood there a little worried looking. I asked what the problem was and the driver said, "uh, gosh these are very nice, but how much do we owe you?". I smiled and siad, look you don't owe me anything, in fact I owe you and the driver said, "yes, but I know making prints like this must be expensive so we should pay you.".
Another side note, is one of the model's from LA said "hey this is great, I have to tell all my friends. I said please don't. These are nice people and the last thing they need is someone walking up to the concession stand, asking for an arugula salad.
These people are doing fine, so leave them alone.
JR
In fact, you need the camera that suits you. Not more, not less. More importantly the design and operation in your hands.
That's why testing in hand is obligatory. Not specially the magical IQ, because nowdays most of the cameras are capable of producing the quality you need.
The current models with no skin look is because of cultural codes, being introduced in many ad campaigns by some brands. This plastic unreal and quasi-mortiferous imagery has a lot to do with our plastic, dead and artificial societies (in the so called first world)...
I must say that I see the same cold imagery in arquitecture photography also nowdays. Perfect exposures, perfect textures, everything is clean, DR is perfect and all ends boring like hell.
My favorite picture of James Russell is this one, not specially the "cleanest and most elaborate" of his portfolio:
Link is here:http://russellrutherfordphoto.com/#/Sports/Sports/20