Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom catalogue missing  (Read 6199 times)

Ccor

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
Lightroom catalogue missing
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:47:47 pm »

I ran out of space on the hard drive that contained my Lightroom library and had to move it to a larger hard drive.  I used Super Duper to copy it.  Now when I open Lightroom the catalogue is missing - a gray question mark marks the folder the images should be in - the files are on the new hard drive but lightroom can't see them.  If I right click on the folder I can use the "find missing folder function to find the folder."  Rather than going through every folder and right clicking is there a quicker way to do this?  Is there an automatic way to get lightroom to regenerate the catalogue?

Thanks
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »

I don't know how to tell Lightroom to regenerate a catalog but instead of using SuperDuper, I would have used Lightroom's Export as catalog and choosen the new HD as target (make sure to copy negative files, previews aren't important as they'll be regenerated).
Logged
Francois

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:00:28 am »

In Lightroom's Preferences there's a 'default' catalog that it thinks it's supposed to open.  Try holding down the Alt/Opt key when starting Lightroom and it will ask you which catalog you want to open.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:13:49 am »

Correct and if it doesn't work, then the catalog on the new drive might be corrupted…
Logged
Francois

GG

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:28:49 pm »

I have a problem with upgrades - any advice please?

History:
I have just upgraded from Win XP Pro (32bit) to Win 7 Pro (64bit).  I had new hard drives too (mirror RAID), but retained my previous hard drive in my upgraded computer, which was originally partitioned into a C drive (for programs) and a D drive for data (i.e. storing my pictures).  In the new set-up, these drives have been renamed G: and H: respectively and have otherwise remained unaltered.  The new drive has C: and D: partitions of course.

Under Win XP Pro, I was using LR 1.3 and had an extensive catalog system.  I had processed many pictures in the Develop module, which then held all the alterations that had been made in History.

In W7, I have loaded LR 3.2 in the C: drive,.

Problem:
I wanted to perform a catalog export/import from LR 1.3 on drive G: to LR 3.2 on drive C:.  I had watched Jeff Schewe do this on the LuLa LR 3 tutorial and read about it in Martin Evening's Lightroom books.  As I had unaltered LR 1.3 on my G: drive and all the pictures on the H: drive, I thought it would be fairly straightforward.

However, on opening LR 1.3 Library module, all my catalog folders have vanished.  The pictures are still there on drive H: and I can select and import from there.  However, when I then move to the Develop module, pictures which I know I had processed now have no history and seem to be the original raw files, not the processed end product.

Questions:
1. How can I reinstate my original folder structure in LR 1.3 and then transfer it to LR 3.2?   

2. How can I reinstate all the History and final images?

Any help would be much appreciated as I could do without redoing folders and, particularly, reprocessing quite a few images.

GG

Logged

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:06 am »

In Lightroom's Preferences there's a 'default' catalog that it thinks it's supposed to open.  Try holding down the Alt/Opt key when starting Lightroom and it will ask you which catalog you want to open.

Mike.
Or you could try locating the new catalogue and launching Lightroom by double-clicking it (it works on a Mac, anyway).

Jeremy
Logged

GG

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:46:01 pm »

Thank you Jeremy but when I was asked which catalog, I couldn't find anything like a catalog in my LR1.3 program file - or isn't that where it is kept.  I don't know where LR hides its catalog.

GG
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:40 am »

Your Lightroom catalog uses a .lrcat extension.  Search your computer and you should find it.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

GG

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
Re: Lightroom catalogue missing
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »

Jeremy and Mike,

Thank you very much for your help.  I now have a fully functioning LR3.2 with all my files and history restored.  You have saved me a great deal of time and effort - many, many thanks.

GG
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up