Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Gone  (Read 3301 times)

Ifocus4u

• Constant Sound and Imaging Studio
Long Gone
« on: September 30, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »

An abandoned farm house.  HDR'd.  All comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:25:07 pm by Ifocus4u »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Long Gone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:24:41 am »

If I may be honest, the colors just look fake to me. I wasn't there, of course, but even so my instant impression was that the image had been Photoshopped to excess. Otherwise it's a lovely subject and composition.

My $0.02.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:41:00 am »

I agree it seems to be overdone to some degree.  nice subject.   Actually this looks like painting/watercolor
if that was the effect, it worked.

to me it perhaps leaning towards the surreal

Brad Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:39:26 am »

I like the subject and the composition. The rendering invokes a feeling that the image belongs in a children's story book--playful and a bit surreal.

Have you tried more photorealistic settings in Photomatix?

Joe Behar

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 11:55:53 am »

Have you tried more photorealistic settings in Photomatix?

Brad, I won't speak for the OP, but I have tried virtually every setting imaginable in Photomatix and keep coming back to the "over the top" look. I jst find that the "photo realistic" settings make for an image that looks not quite right to me. The gritty, painterly, surreal, or whatever you want to call it look makes sure (for me) that there is no ambiguity in what I was attempting to convey.

There is/was a thread somewhere on the forum about "do you hate HDR?" I think most people look at the results from someone trying to extend dynamic range while maintaining a phot realistic look and know that it just does not look right. By tonemapping multiple times and using setting that are not intended for photo, you change the image to something that suggests a photo, but has more to it than that.

In my project (still in progress, you can see it here http://gallery.me.com/joebehar) the idea was to make everything a facade...the subjects are obviously building facades, my opinion of the various intitutions pictured is that they are a facade, the post processing of the images is done so that its a facade, and to top it all off I try to do most of the images with my G9, which a lot of people consider to not be a "real" camera (yet anothe facade aspect)

I'm hijacking this thread thoug, so I'll stop there

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:05 pm »

I like the shot, and have no problems with the HDR aspect of it, but would prefer to see the colors desaturated from where they are now.  They jump out so much that they are the first thing your eye responds to, and I would prefer to see them complement the scene, rather than dominate it.

Aside:  I have never seen brick used this way, as a veneer over wood, in traditional construction.  Modern brick veneer is another thing altogether, but this is pretty bizarre.  Perhaps the durability demonstrated here is why this never caught on much.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

JBerardi

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »

HDR'd.

Can I ask what your thought process was in deciding to HDR this thing?

Ifocus4u

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:33 pm »

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  Everyone's tastes vary and I appreciate hearing what folks like and dislike about an image.  I always learn something.  I HDR for the painterly or surreal look.  I love how images look when HDR'd.  I have always loved artistically manipulated photography.  I love all forms of photography since time and effort goes into the shots.  The only photography I dislike are snaps.  Thanks again for dropping by.  ;D

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:51:12 pm »

Add one more to the "I don't like it" column.  Just my taste and if you like it that's all that matters. 

I will say this, what does HDR add to the shot that you couldn't have gotten otherwise? 

Joe Behar

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 04:10:05 pm »

Add one more to the "I don't like it" column.  Just my taste and if you like it that's all that matters. 

I will say this, what does HDR add to the shot that you couldn't have gotten otherwise? 

I makes the shot look different...its really that simple.

Love it, hate it, or be indifferent, but there's no doubt that it looks different HDR'd than if it was not.

Ifocus4u

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:38 am »

I appreciate your sharing  your viewpoint of the image but I was wondering if you would add "why" you don't like it.  This makes the comment more constructive and helps a person improve.  Straight criticism is a purely negative response which does nothing for others.  If you give HDR a whirl yourself you will see the difference it makes.  You might even like it.   ;)

Ifocus4u

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:34:36 am »

I makes the shot look different...its really that simple.
Love it, hate it, or be indifferent, but there's no doubt that it looks different HDR'd than if it was not.

So true Joe..  thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up