Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems activating Capture One 5  (Read 6294 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Problems activating Capture One 5
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:25 am »

I've had various copies of Capture One since it first came out for Canons. I upgraded to Capture One 4 and didn't think that much of it. I finally decided to upgrade to Capture One 5 a month ago. While I had no problems installing and activating on my notebook (a new Sony i7 quad with Win 7 x64 Home), I've failed miserably getting the program installed and activated (the key word) on my desktop - a Cyberpower PC with an AMD Phenom II 965 x4 with Win 7 x64 Business. I've had more than a dozen messages back and forth with Phase One who basically blame it my my system. They say it's not furnishing "the ID for the logic board" (????) so it won't activate. It's obviously some sort of built in anti-piracy thing with the software. Yet, I've said that NO OTHER SOFTWARE I own and have installed (including most of Adobe's) has had any issue with an "logic ID". I'm at a stand-still and feel had. The notebook is strictly secondary and for location work only, so I might was well not even have the software.

Has anyone else run into activation issues like this with C1 5? Thanks.

Nemo

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Problems activating Capture One 5
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:33 pm »

Presumably you have been through this with Phase One Tech Support, but you are allowed only two copies of the software to be active, so if in your activations record, which you can access in your account page, you see that there are more than two live activations, this could be the problem. If so, you then need to de-activate the license key in your Account page on their website, and then reactivate it on both computers. I have just been through that process and it succeeded - on two new Mac computers.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:43:03 pm »

Thanks, but my problem isn't related to the number of computers activated (only one to date, since the desktop won't).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:59:56 pm »

check their website for the number of activations anyhow. Takes a minute. Sometimes there can be surprises.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:33:09 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check, and yes, for some reason it shows no activations left (as of yesterday for some reason), but that is not the issue. They insist it has to do with either my OS (Win 7 x64) not being installed correctly, or hardware (an AMD CPU perhaps not playing nice with their anti-piracy software). AS I've insisted with tech support, the problem lies with their software installation, NOT my system, since their's is the only software I have that doesn't install and activate properly.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:49:30 pm »

OK, so you found out there are two activations, when in fact you are supposed to have only one to date. So there is error #1. You don't know yet whether that is or is not the cause of the problem that you cannot activate NOW. So the next thing to try is to de-activate the whole license key in that same page where you saw both activations. Then try re-activating it on your desktop computer. If that fails to work, then you know for sure it is not an activation limitation error at THEIR end, but some other problem. So then you need to get a tech support escalation to look more specifically at what may be the cause. Like you, it sounds to me unlikely that the problem is with your OS, and if the problem is with their anti-piracy stuff, they should give you a workaround; whatever, iy appears that the problem is not properly parsed yet either at your end or theirs, so please try once again what I just suggested. If all is well after that, you're good to go; if not you do need to get back to them.

nemophoto

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:03:43 pm »

I deactivated all my licenses. I uninstalled C1, reinstalled, entered the new license code, etc., and I still end up with the same bogus message which started the whole discussion with Tech Support: "I'm sorry, but Capture One was unable to create a registration key. On Windows Vista, you must be logged in as an administrator to activate Capture One". What crap. I AM the administrator on my computer. Additionally, previously, I had re-logged in as the admin account (though as I said, I AM the admin), and additionally even created a new admin account. It's always the same outcome. It's their anti-piracy BS. I tried to get more info, because you can run a diagnostic, and in the one area where the diagnostic test failed, I asked for more info so I could discuss it with my computer manufacturer tech support, and Phase One said "proprietary info". Great. So they have the tools available for a work around (I'm sure) , but won't use them. Their only suggestion: "reload your operating system". No thank you. I've now had 20+ emails back and forth on this since August. Thanks for your suggestions.

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »

here's a screen shot of the diagnostic.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:40 pm »

Tried my best to be helpful - all I could do was work off my most recent experience re the most obvious possible glitches, and sorry that didn't work. From all you've been through, I think you are in telephone reach of Phase One's Long Island American HQ office. If you have not yet done so, do give them a call, point them to this thread and ask them to directly help you sort it out. No reason why you should pay all that money for a program and not be able to use it. The idea of re-installing your OS doesn't sound reasonable to me, unless there are things they know which I don't know. Very often this is the cop-out recommendation from tech support people who have no other proposals. Seen it before (not from Phase One) and it's never been necessary once you get someone who can drill down and fix.

nemophoto

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 03:42:42 pm »

Thanks. I agree with the "tech support cop-out" (made famous by Apple's "first, turn off all your extensions"!). I also think hiding behind "proprietary information" is the same thing. Well great. Then how DO you fix it, if you can't tell me what the program is looking for. I actually think it must have something to do with heir software looking for something in an Intel chip (since it's fine on my notebook) and not liking what it sees with the AMD. Anyway, thanks for giving it a shot.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:05:39 pm »

"Proprietary information" could be completely legit, because this relates to their anti-piracy stuff and they obviously don't want the would-be pirates to get under the hood of their secret sauce. But it's also possible that the problem has nothing to do with this. And I doubt it has anything generic to do with Intel Macs, because my computer is an Intel Mac and C-1 installed fine and activated properly on it, after I went through the process of de-activating the license key and re-activating the installs on my desktop and laptop. I really think you should call their NY office and try to sort it out with them, unless that too has been tried and failed.

ARD

• http://
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:19:29 pm »

Few really basic things to try, which you probably already have done, but if not might help.

Check the settings on your firewall. It might have inadvertently blocked the process from connecting to the internet, thus stops the program registering.

Also, when you enter your details, make sure the email address is how you registered it. Sometimes it will default to a capital first letter on the email address, thus, as most passwords etc are case sensitive might stop it registering.

Have you got the most up to date Net Frame installed
Pages: [1]   Go Up