Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Nikon Article  (Read 2606 times)

The Nikon Article
« on: January 11, 2003, 09:44:14 am »

Quentin,

Thanks. It's definately my intention to make 2003 a year in which I broaden my coverage to other cameras brands, especially Nikon mount.

Of course I've already had coverage in the last year or so of a broad range of cameras in my product reviews, incuding Pentax 67, Pentax 645, Leica M6, Leica M7, Hasselblad XPan, Hasselblad Arcbody, Hasselblad H1, Voitglander, Fuji GX680iii Horseman SW 612 Pro, Mamiya 7ii, Noblex 135u, Noblex 150, Silvestri SLV and Seitz Roundshot.  Whew.

And of course a slew of Canon bodies, lenses and accessories.

Look for a Canon 1Ds vs Kodak 14n shootout on the Video Journal as soon as Kodak makes a camera available. And, of course, a hands-on field report on Nikon's latest DSLR when it finally ships.

Michael

Walter Rowe

• WalterRowe.com
The Nikon Article
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 02:57:19 pm »

Michael,

Nice review and well balanced. Before I ask this question, I will admit that I have not done an article search on this site so it may have already been addressed elsewhere and I simply have been too lazy to look for it.

Have you followed the developments at Foveon and their X3 chip that is used in the Sigma SD-9 camera? The FAQ at their web site would lead one to believe that Foveon is in talks with numerous camera manufacturers (unnamed, of course). I would think that many manufacturers would desire this technology since it eliminates the mosaic image capture techniques done today and provides true RGB data capture at each pixel in the image.

Have you heard rumors of major manufacturers seeking or developing this technology?
Walter Rowe

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
The Nikon Article
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 05:29:05 am »

Good to see a article witten on the subject of Nikon DSLRs on the site.

The sentiments Jim Norris expresses reflect my own almost exactly.  I run a Fuji S2, but I keep an eye on developments at Nikon and Kodak, knowing I can use my lenses on their bodies.

I realise that Michael is a Canon man  , but the sheer variety of Nikon mount DSLRs now available makes some coverage of them essential for balance, something Michael clearly appreciates.  I hope that some further Nikon coverage will be introduced to the Video Journal too, even if this has to be sub-contracted to a Nikon enthusiast.  

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Walter Rowe

The Nikon Article
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 02:51:50 pm »

Michael,

Nice review and well balanced. Before I ask this question, I will admit that I have not done an article search on this site so it may have already been addressed elsewhere and I simply have been too lazy to look for it.

Have you followed the developments at Foveon and their X3 chip that is used in the Sigma SD-9 camera? The FAQ at their web site would lead one to believe that Foveon is in talks with numerous camera manufacturers (unnamed, of course). I would think that many manufacturers would desire this technology since it eliminates the mosaic image capture techniques done today and provides true RGB data capture at each pixel in the image. Have you heard rumors of major manufacturers seeking or developing this technology?

Erik M

The Nikon Article
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 03:23:36 pm »

Walter,

I have an SD9. It's an interesting camera. If you read the comprehensive reviews available on the web and download all the sample images available on the web you can get a feeling as to what the first generation Foveon chip offers. The Foveon images have a unique feel. But the chip seems limited to a speed of 100 for the best images. Speeds of 200 and 400 are somewhat noisey, and the chip can only handle a bulb time of 15 seconds max. So noise is an issue with this chip. The real test of the chip will come if Foveon can get other companies to use it; and if they can increase the pixel count in 2003. For that answer we'll have to wait until the upcoming PMA in March.
Pages: [1]   Go Up