Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-reflective (multicoated) glass source (Los Angeles local preferred)?  (Read 1383 times)

AFairley

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1486

Aaron Brothers sells "museum glass" that is UV-filtering and non-reflective.  Unlike the usual slightly frosted non-reflective glass I'm used to, this stuff seems to be coated or multi-coated on both sides and does not diffuse the light coming through it at all.  Photos behind it look wonderful, the lack of reflections on the glass really deepens the saturation of the images' colors, they totally lack the "reflective haze" you usually see behind glass.  It is amazingly effective at cutting reflections, but also (at Aaron Bros.) amazingly expensive, at around $100 for a 24"x29" piece.  I figure Aaron Bros must be asking full retail for it.  Does anyone know of a cheap place to get the stuff?  (I can get the price down by waiting for an 40% or 50% off coupon from Aaron Bros to come around, but wonder if could do even better every day.)

Thanks
Logged

BradSmith

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 773
Re: Non-reflective (multicoated) glass source (Los Angeles local preferred)?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:19:48 pm »

Try "Valley Frame and Moulding" on Vanowen Street near the Burbank Airport.  I've seen box upon box of TruVue glass there.   I don't know if it is their Museum Glass line, but would imagine that if they carry TruVue, then they carry their full line.    They are a very large wholesaler and say that they only deal with wholesale to the trade, but I have purchased some matboard from them in the past without a resale license. I don't know if you can individual pieces or cut to size from them. 

Brad
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up