Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seminal cameras  (Read 18648 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Seminal cameras
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »

The Nikon S2 changed the way that we in the States thought about Japanese cameras. Or did that start with DDD and Nikon lenses on his Leicas?

Mike Collette's Dicomeds changed the way we thought about digital image quality.

Jim

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2017, 08:04:14 pm »

Another great set of videos.  Thanks

Peter McLennan

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 11:16:10 pm »

Yep. (Box Brownie) Mine used 127 film. My mom bought it in the UK c. 1963. Everything since then has been icing.  :D
-Dave-

First camera I ever used, so for me, it's seminal.  I recall photographing my mom with one when I was probably 10. I can still remember the feel of that big plastic shutter button.
Second seminal camera for me was mentioned both by Michael and another poster: the Pentax Spotmatic.  First SLR with TTL metering. I owned probably half a dozen over the years. I still have one.

Rob C

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2017, 07:57:37 am »

First camera I ever used, so for me, it's seminal.  I recall photographing my mom with one when I was probably 10. I can still remember the feel of that big plastic shutter button.
Second seminal camera for me was mentioned both by Michael and another poster: the Pentax Spotmatic.  First SLR with TTL metering. I owned probably half a dozen over the years. I still have one.

Had that been a Nikon F, it would have never have had to be replaced during an amateur's shooting life.

:-)

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2017, 08:07:20 am »

Had that been a Nikon F, it would have never have had to be replaced during an amateur's shooting life.

Rob

I still have mine...works, but hasn't seen action in many years.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2017, 08:16:24 am »

I still have mine...works, but hasn't seen action in many years.

Peter

Peter, mine worked for years alongside an F2 Photomic (sans batteries - no idea why I bought that prism) until I traded everything away, 'blads included, to go totally 6x7, the dumbest decision I ever made. I have already 'fessed up to it being my first bout of male menopause. Wish it had been my last.

:-(

Rob

P.S. What does one call post-menopausal male mistakes? Knowing a short, convenient handle would help communication a lot. It could even go on a rear vanity plate, cops here permitting. Which after thirty something years, one local one did not. Mother. Can't afford the risk - probably sees me every day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:23:14 am by Rob C »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2017, 11:31:46 am »

Rob

Never had one fail, despite horrendous abuse including multiple motorcycle tours of Indonesia and Asia.  Two were stolen.  One was left on the roof of my vehicle when I drove away.  Never seen again.  One I gave to a relative.  The last one sits here in a drawer, in pristine condition, but lost and lonely, the neglected child in the family, forsaken by its guardian who has new favourite children; the D800 twins. :)

Rob C

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2017, 12:31:35 pm »

Never had one fail, despite horrendous abuse including multiple motorcycle tours of Indonesia and Asia.  Two were stolen.  One was left on the roof of my vehicle when I drove away.  Never seen again.  One I gave to a relative.  The last one sits here in a drawer, in pristine condition, but lost and lonely, the neglected child in the family, forsaken by its guardian who has new favourite children; the D800 twins. :)

Were you ever able to get insured?

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2017, 12:37:16 pm »

Rob

P.S. What does one call post-menopausal male mistakes? Knowing a short, convenient handle would help communication a lot. It could even go on a rear vanity plate, cops here permitting. Which after thirty something years, one local one did not. Mother. Can't afford the risk - probably sees me every day.
The man with the shield always sees...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »

The man with the shield always sees...

Peter

At the end of the 40s I remember reading a comic which carried the slogan: Commit a crime and the world is made of glass.

I think it was a DC publication - some Dick Tracy-like detective rubbish that was doing the clandestine rounds at school. So yeah, even those were moralising...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2017, 11:43:43 pm »

Were you ever able to get insured?

Rob

Not a chance. :)  Fortunately, I never had to own my own money-making gear. 
All of those Pentaxes (Pentacies?) were either for learning (in the early days) or recreation.

Two23

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2017, 10:30:52 am »

The last one sits here in a drawer, in pristine condition, but lost and lonely, the neglected child in the family, forsaken by its guardian who has new favourite children; the D800 twins. :)

I have a pair of D800E (two because I shoot weddings,) and for most things they're my most used camera.  However, there are times I prefer my Nikon F3T (or Rolleiflex or Leica IIIc!)  For "street" shooting in big cities (most recently Seattle and Chicago) I like the small film cameras best.  They don't seem to attract attention and scream "expensive camera", which is not a good thing in big cities with all the bums/addicts loafing around.  I always shoot black & white film, usually HP5.  The F3T is the quickest to use because of it's accurate TTL meter.  It and AiS lenses 28/50/105mm fit in a very small bag.  I know an M4/3 camera would work too, but it's more expensive which attracts the attention of bums.  I just like the less "sterile" look of HP5 film too.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up