Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has Profiling Been Fixed In Mac OS 10.6 & PS CS5?  (Read 4207 times)

JimGoshorn

Has Profiling Been Fixed In Mac OS 10.6 & PS CS5?
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »

Do you still have to assign a profile to the target and use that same profile for the printer or has that been fixed? Haven't done a profile in a while so I thought I'd ask first  :)

BTW, anyone heard anything more about that app Adobe was supposed to be working on to control color management when printing profiles?

Thanks!

Jim

dage007

Re: Has Profiling Been Fixed In Mac OS 10.6 & PS CS5?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:48:59 pm »

As far as the app is concerned, I think it is simply embedded now in CS5..  This is why you have to select to have CS5 manage the colour in order to get to the print preference menu and select your type of paper etc...

I am guessing this is going to be the new way to do it.

As far as the profiling is concerned, I am still wondering the same thing.  What profile do you give your image in CS5, what profile do you give when going to print?  If your painting is using sRGB, do you keep that profile and then let CS5 manage everything and just select the proper paper?  who knows...

All I know is my prints are no longer consistent with each other...

Pat Herold

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »

No word on this program from Adobe that I have seen.  Here's what we're talking about:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83497.html#ionComHeading

For the record, it's not that it needs fixing - it's that Adobe took the function out of the program.  The workaround they provide does work.  You need to assign a profile to the profiling target, and then print the target using the same profile.  It does not matter what profile you use, as long as you are consistent.  Assigning and printing with the same profile effectively cancels out the profile, so you end up printing with no color management.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

dage007

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:33 pm »

Is there at least a link somewhere that has images to show exactly how to ensure the proper profiles are selected?  For example someone explain that sRGB is the colour profile for the drawing or painting etc... in CS5.  Then when you go to print, what is the profile for (Document Profile) and then (Printer Profile).

I mean if you intend on selecting a certain paper to print with, is that the profile you select for the (printer profile)?  Do you use the same profile that you have for your image in CS5 as the (Document Profile).

thanks.

David.

Pat Herold

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »

Hi David,

Let me clarify something.  The subject of this thread concerns how to print profiling targets using CS5.  This is entirely different from the regular workflow of printing images in CS5 - which I think you are asking about.

In short, you would set up Photoshop settings so that you have a profile as your working space profile.  That is what you are referring to as a "document" profile, but these working space profiles are also officially classified as monitor profiles - though you would never want to use a true monitor profile as your working space profile (no wonder people get confused!)  This working space profile is sort of like a box that your keep your paintings in.  Then, you print using the printing profile that is designed for your particular paper, on your particular printer, etc.

There is more information on different profile types here:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/The_7_ICC_Profile_Types

And some basics about how a normal print workflow goes here:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Printer_to_Match_my_Screen#HOW_TO_PRINT_WITH_YOUR_PROFILE

You can also google working space profiles, or search these forums for more information!
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

dage007

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:45:44 pm »

thanks.

I posted my exact problem in the thread "Need HELP - Cannot print consistent colours on different papers".  In case you don't mind just checking it out as you seem to know what you are talking about and it would really help me out.

thanks.

David

JimGoshorn

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:46 pm »

For the record, it's not that it needs fixing - it's that Adobe took the function out of the program.  The workaround they provide does work.  You need to assign a profile to the profiling target, and then print the target using the same profile.  It does not matter what profile you use, as long as you are consistent.  Assigning and printing with the same profile effectively cancels out the profile, so you end up printing with no color management.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for confirming that the procedure hasn't changed (you are always a wealth of info). I stand corrected on the term "fixed" ;D

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »

Just speaking to fellow color geek Chris Murphy, the hack (OK technique <g>) of assigning a profile to a target, then selecting that for the output in Print (to produce ideally a “null” conversion) doesn’t work for all printers. He indicated that testing with an Epson 2200 didn’t work. That said, we both agree that with an Epson 3880, the trick does work. YMMV.

If in doubt, print out of CS4. Always a good idea to have the last version of Photoshop around.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:14:43 pm »

You might want to try assigning the same profile to targets that shows as the default profile for that printer in the ColorSync Utility.

Doyle

JimGoshorn

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:39 am »

Just speaking to fellow color geek Chris Murphy, the hack (OK technique <g>) of assigning a profile to a target, then selecting that for the output in Print (to produce ideally a “null” conversion) doesn’t work for all printers. He indicated that testing with an Epson 2200 didn’t work. That said, we both agree that with an Epson 3880, the trick does work. YMMV.

If in doubt, print out of CS4. Always a good idea to have the last version of Photoshop around.

I am printing with a 7900 but regardless, it seems the safest way would be to print targets from CS4 which is still on my HD and looks as though it will be staying there longer than anticipated :)

This is the kind of thing that makes a good argument for a RIP which takes color management and driving the printer out of the mix...

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:54 am »

This is the kind of thing that makes a good argument for a RIP which takes color management and driving the printer out of the mix..

Not really. RIPs implement color management (they better). They may not however make the same calls to the OS or operate like the Quickdraw/DGI drivers that currently are causing us some problems.

Its been awhile, but printing targets for profiles out of ImagePrint was more convoluted as printing out of Photoshop CS5 with the Epson driver.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »

Adobe left in the "No colour management option" in Photoshop Elements 9 just released(mac version)..    as this version is based primarily on CS5   what happened and why is it back???

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 05:00:33 pm »

Adobe left in the "No colour management option" in Photoshop Elements 9 just released(mac version)..    as this version is based primarily on CS5   what happened and why is it back???

Interesting, taking it out in CS5 was ignorant, just because a printer manufacture couldn't get there code updated for the new printing path. And now that they have there is no reason not to put the "No colour management option" back in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up