Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw decoding error turns images green  (Read 8227 times)

stevegoldenberg

• Steve Goldenberg Photography
Raw decoding error turns images green
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:19:55 am »

Hi everyone, I'm really stuck.  I shot a few images on my Panasonic GF1 yesterday, imported them into Aperture and when I viewed the image, it went completely green - as if I was looking only at the green channel in Photoshop.  I rebooted my computer, same problem.  I opened the images in Preview, same problem.  I shot a RAW+JPG pair and viewed them in preview - JPG looks fine, RAW file is green.  Can anyone help me figure out what's up?

Steve Goldenberg
Street &

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Raw decoding error turns images green
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:27 pm »

There's a fair number of posts on this on the Apple Aperture forum. I haven't followed closely, as it hasn't affected me, but that would be the first place I'd look for a solution. FWIW, I think it may be a graphics driver problem, rather then RAW decoding, as it seems to be limited to certain models of Macs. But that's just a guess.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

stevegoldenberg

• Steve Goldenberg Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:25:27 pm »

All, I couldn't find anything useful on the Apple message boards but I found a solution myself:

My GF1 had the version 1.1 firmware and it produced the green RAW files every time.  I upgraded to version 1.2 of the GF1 firmware and shot another raw test and: Success!  So, if you've got a GF1 and use OS X 10.6.4, upgrade your GF1 to version 1.2 of the firmware and (hopefully) you'll lose the greens.

Steve Goldenberg
Street &

gponz

• Disturbances in the Wash
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:59:19 am »

I've been merging my libraries into a single big one and I had the same issue happen with some of my images turning green. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and finally what did it was to re-generate all previews. Took a while but it worked. I wrote a blog post with the details here: http://bit.ly/eD0yAL

I ended up also generating thumbnails even though it worked by just doing the previews. Hope that helps.

cloudcitycollective

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:05:56 pm »

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this GF-1 green tint disease that affects all RAW images in Aperture!

I'm running Aperture 3.1.1
Digital Camera RAW 3.5.0 - Build 5510000.1

on OSX 10.6.6
on a 15" i5 MBP with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M GPU

I can import my GF-1 files fine, but as soon as select one, the RAW processing kicks in, and it gets the dark green tint. The weird thing is that it doesn't seem like it happens all the time, I believe I have been able to successfully work with, and even export RAW files from Aperture.

I have tried regenerating previews and all of the things that people suggest, but have had no luck. Does anyone else have any ideas???

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:55:00 pm »

Are these shots you made using the GF-1's "burst mode", by any chance?

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:25:32 pm »

If there weren't any threads about this on the Apple Aperture forums back in September, there sure are now. I haven't seen anyone come up with a solution other than the OP, who solved it by updating the firmware in his camera. Have you tried that?
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up