Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best pano equipment to get ?  (Read 19335 times)

tho_mas

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: What's the best pano equipment to get ?
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:46 pm »

I have been a happy RRS users for many years. Very good gear.

The best has started to get better: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=PG-02-LLR&eq=&Tp=

The image below was shot last week with a near final prototype of this head:

The PG-02 can be used both as a support super telelenses and as a very robust pano head. It is both more simple and more robust than the current spherical head though. It is an amazing piece of equipment that will help get even better image quality in windy conditions. It is a bit heavier though.

RRS pays real close attention to the needs of pano shooters and they are looking at going even further in the future, but I was requested not to say more.

Cheers,
Bernard

stever

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:32 am »

wow, that looks like way the best yet, although if you're only shooting a 35mm and normal lenses it's going to be a bit heavier than i'd like to carry - doesn't say what the actual weight is

i've been using a 4th Generation Mongoose 2.3 with a RRS rail (for nodal point and balance) - the center of rotation is almost perfect for verticals with a 7D or 5D, but won't work for horizontos or with a professional camera and i've thought how nice it would be if the center of rotation were adjustable (without reducing rigidity or adding too much weight - weight is comparable to a good ball head)

note that they are also showing an optional leveling base with their tripod.  i've kind of gotten used to adjusting legs, but will probably end up accepting the extra weight of a leveling base

i've found that i prefer the gimbal over a ball head for almost everything i do

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:28 am »

Bernard told us about the Clauss pano heads (3k5 to 5k Euros) but I wand to use a 60Mpx camera with a 300mm lens on a 10m tripod, and the Clauss remote can handle 5kg, 7kg or 15kg cameras (the Hasselblad with a big lens is over 4kg).

My Manfrotto 400 fully geared tripod head would be fine for single-row landscapes.

¿but does a £30,000 camera do a better job than a £3,000 camera?

When the picture includes large moving objects like a speed boat, or surf it would do.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

vandevanterSH

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:10 am »

i've kind of gotten used to adjusting legs, but will probably end up accepting the extra weight of a leveling base
The RRS leveling base is quite light ~ 320 gms.  Weight with attached 80mm lever clamp is ~500 gms.  With attached PCL-1 clamp, 640 gms.  The weight of standard base + BH-55 ball head and lever clamp is 1065 gms.

As a point of interest, I stacked a lever clamp, a PCL-1 with plate and a nodal rail on the leveling base and after leveling the base, all of the other components were also dead level.  Precise machining by RRS, I guess.

Steve

Aristoc

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 02:23:49 pm »

I have been a happy RRS users for many years. Very good gear.

The best has started to get better: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=PG-02-LLR&eq=&Tp=

The image below was shot last week with a near final prototype of this head:

The PG-02 can be used both as a support super telelenses and as a very robust pano head. It is both more simple and more robust than the current spherical head though. It is an amazing piece of equipment that will help get even better image quality in windy conditions. It is a bit heavier though.

RRS pays real close attention to the needs of pano shooters and they are looking at going even further in the future, but I was requested not to say more.

Cheers,
Bernard

I saw this being demonstrated on RRS you tube website a couple of weeks ago. First saw it on RRS newsletter links below:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs015/1102441290359/archive/1103592621930.html

They said it was a protype then. It looked a little bit big too me and and they were using a VERY large lens with it. The only thing I think for me is that what I change my mind and don't want to shoot a pano? I can keep carrying around that large thing or I have to take un-install it from the tripod and then re-install a ballhead and clamp and then put my camera back on. So once it is on...you kind of have to leave it on I guess. Plus you do need to buy a levelling base of some sort it seems.It's does do away with buying a second RRS PCL panning clamp for the vertical bar which is over kill. would love to hear about it in use.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:14:49 pm by Aristoc »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 03:02:06 pm »

It looked a little bit big too me and and they were using a VERY large lens with it.

Then that is when you need it. For lighter duty setups, the regular RRS kit is sturdy enough and can be stored quite compact (or just compactly mounted upside down on the tripod for carrying with camera in bag). As said by others, the individual components can also be used for other tasks, they are parts of a system.

Pluse you do need to buy a levelling base of some sort it seems.

I use an EZ leveler II for that, and e.g. use the RRS PCL-1 rotating clamp on top of that (or use a click stop in between). It will allow very accurate leveling, and that leveler carries a lot of weight and is very lightweight itself. As with most levelers, they are limited to a number of degrees tilt, less than a ball head, but that's where the weight saving comes from.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »

They said it was a protype then. It looked a little bit big too me and and they were using a VERY large lens with it. The only thing I think for me is that what I change my mind and don't want to shoot a pano? I can keep carrying around that large thing or I have to take un-install it from the tripod and then re-install a ballhead and clamp and then put my camera back on. So once it is on...you kind of have to leave it on I guess. Plus you do need to buy a levelling base of some sort it seems.

Yep, indeed. That's how I have been using it. Left permanently on the tripod on top of a leveling base.

It works for me as I basically only do panos. If I don't I just use the pano head as a 2 axis ball head. A bit less convenient since you have to lock the 2 axis, but there really is zero drift after lock. I would be a bit limiting when trying to shoot really now though.

It is actually faster compared to the former head when you shoot panos since the horizontal bar is already on the tripod. Assuming you leave the clamp on the camera all the time you have only 2 parts to assemble together to be able to start shooting, which is a matter of 30 secs or so once the tripod has been set.

As far as the old head being enough for light lenses/combos, I guess that it is true most of the time. The whole thing depends very much on the weather. There is no such thing as too robust when the wind blows and you are still trying to achieve critical sharpness.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:22 pm »

I have looked at Nodal Ninja and RRS and others. What is the best pano equipment to get for doing single row and possibly multiple row panos of both landscape and architecture?

Thank you.

For what end purpose? In other words how large of output are you looking to produce

I use the Really Right Stuff Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package and mount it on a Foba ASMIA ripped head on top of a heavy duty aluminum Gitzo legset. I general ywork with cameras  i the D3s and EOS-1Ds size class but sometimes with PhaseOne medium format bodies. The largest output I've created so far was a 24 x 8 foot panoramic for a cities recent Olympic bid. It was shot with the camera out over the edge of a 65 story condominium tower using The phase One with a P45+ back: 3 rows of 22 frames each. Yo can pick out details in apartment windows a few blocks away and individual bricks maybe a tenth to a quarter mile away.

I use PtGui 9.0.2beta software to stitch and allow for very generous overlap.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 06:31:56 am »

I would think these need to be on the list somewhere.
http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm

Kevin.
Kevin.

SeanStacy

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 09:01:28 am »

Do anyone know about Agnos Pano Equipment?
My friend suggest me about it.
I am looking for some help to know about it.
Thanks in advance!
San Diego Custom Stickers

vandevanterSH

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »

I am sitting here taking apart my RRS Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot and using the clamps and rail for other purposes.  Just another factor when evaluating prices...If the piece of gear is less expensive but it is "purpose" specific"...where is the cost savings??? 

Steve

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:55 pm »

I am sitting here taking apart my RRS Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot and using the clamps and rail for other purposes.  Just another factor when evaluating prices...If the piece of gear is less expensive but it is "purpose" specific"...where is the cost savings???

Indeed. I also use the RRS system, because that's what it is, a system. All components can be repurposed in different configurations. Components of the Ultimate Pro Omni Pivot can also be used for macro photography or stereo photography or other uses. It's truly multipurpose 'stuff'.

Here is how some components can be combined into a "flat stitch" configuration for a shifted lens where the camera needs to be counter shifted a fixed amount to avoid parallax:

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

vandevanterSH

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »

Slightly different take on "flat stitch for my old 'blad.  I may decide to go back to using "stops" rather than using the lever CR.  Again the point is that with a few parts and Allen wrenches different needs can be met without buying dedicated configurations. 
The parts "bin".

Steve

vandevanterSH

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »

First pic didn't post:

Steve

LarsHansen

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 06:47:43 am »

I have looked at NN and will not be going with that company. Their products are made in asia. They also seem to be having some quality issues. The NOdal Ninja 5 is discontinued. Their web site is not fully updated such as the selector graph.

A german made pano head is the Pano-MAXX - similar to the NN5 in many ways, but with a few trade-offs: as I understand it has no lock on the rotator and the camera plate isn't as easy to mount at as the NN5:
http://www.panorama-hardware.de/cgi-bin/framestore.cgi?action=open&site=open&lang=com

Haven't used it myself, so don't take it as a recommendation..  ;)

LarsHansen

JohnKoerner

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2010, 09:29:05 am »

I am pretty sure I am heading towards the RRS system. I like the modularity and good design. It seems fool proof. their web site is very detailed and clear. They have very quick customer response. It is a made in north america. It is solid. Good resale value too.

I just made my first purchase from Really Right Stuff and their service was even faster than B&H. Ordered on Friday; product delivered on Monday (from CA to FL).

They seem to be obsessed with both truly useful innovation and exceptional customer service, which is an awfully hard combination to beat.

I will be buying a lot more gear from RRS in the future because of this ...

Jack

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 01:44:29 pm »

If I want to use a 4 to 8Kg cameras on a 10m tripod, is there any alternative to the Clauss?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Aristoc

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 02:31:17 pm »

That's my experience also Jack and I live in Canada.

I just made my first purchase from Really Right Stuff and their service was even faster than B&H. Ordered on Friday; product delivered on Monday (from CA to FL).

They seem to be obsessed with both truly useful innovation and exceptional customer service, which is an awfully hard combination to beat.

I will be buying a lot more gear from RRS in the future because of this ...

Jack

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up