Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When things go wrong...  (Read 4950 times)

Graham Mitchell

When things go wrong...
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:39:38 am »

How does everyone handle situations where things go wrong at the last minute, such as a model not arriving which forces cancellation of the shoot? What if the client arranged that element which went wrong? Studios and stylists and prop rental outlets will still expect to be paid. It can quickly become an expensive mess.

Or what if the weather forces cancellation of a shoot? I've heard of weather insurance, although I've never used it. Is it recommended or is there a better way?

Dick Roadnight

Re: When things go wrong...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 08:01:08 am »

How does everyone handle situations where things go wrong at the last minute, such as a model not arriving which forces cancellation of the shoot? What if the client arranged that element which went wrong? Studios and stylists and prop rental outlets will still expect to be paid. It can quickly become an expensive mess.

Or what if the weather forces cancellation of a shoot? I've heard of weather insurance, although I've never used it. Is it recommended or is there a better way?
Make it plain to the client what the costs are and organize the contract to cover your costs if your client lets you down.

Take a non-returnable deposit in advance (wedding photographers get away with it)

Call your sister-in-law, niece, (yes, OK, great-niece) or regular model as substitute model.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32:51 am »

There is a clause in most every photo contract I've ever seen that covers weather delays, etc. Usually the client pays all expenses, and some percentage of the photographer's fee. Same thing with Acts of God, or other things out of the control of the Photographer.

You can search for standard photo contracts from Editorial Photographers, ASMP, APA, etc.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:13:57 pm »

Talking about "when things go wrong", I can't resist to give here one of the cheapest remedy available in today's fashion world to prevent certain type of catastrophies: a vitamin tube!

It's been recurrent now, and specially with the anorexic style we have here in Europe (wich differs a little bit from the more solid american models), that things can go wrong because...of a simple cold...of a harsh sun in a flat terasse...or a more than a 20km/hours breeze.

I remember a very close girlfriend saying to me not a long time ago: "where are the men now?"
to what I repplied politely: "I was asking me the same question about the girls".

Out of the very warm, perfectly conditionnede studio, a simple advice: Don't forget your vitamines tube.

Those nowdays models are so... "fragile"?

2 problems recently in 2 session and one cancelation...big client. But one model was inexperienced and arrogant because she showed-up on tv, and the result was that she could not handle the session properly because of a simple cold.

Can't imagine BB or Linda E canceling for a little cold.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »

Welcome back, Fred, hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Rob C

Fritzer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:01:25 am »

Model agencies should have an insurance covering that kind of thing ; as for weather, my agent always has a clause in our contracts and estimates that leaves the risk to the client - in case of a shoot cancellation due to bad weather, 100% for expenses, 50 % for my fee.

Isn't that the industry standard ? Of course there is a lot of wiggle room, and your producer and you need to stay on top of things prior to the shoot, but there are not many photographers who could afford covering weather risks .
Pages: [1]   Go Up