Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D700 and Copyright Info  (Read 3137 times)

Rob C

D700 and Copyright Info
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:38:53 pm »

I wonder if I am just too dumb to figure it out, or whether there's a glitch with my camera.

When I try to enable the copyright function, I get the appropriate lines of copy in the menu to highlight, as well as get the little Nike logo in the tiny square and then I click on OK as instructed in the book. But, the minute I leave that screen and go back to the menu itself, it tells me that Copyright is OFF, but I thought I had just switched it on!

Help!

Rob C

Gary Brown

Re: D700 and Copyright Info
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:55:12 pm »

When I try to enable the copyright function, I get the appropriate lines of copy in the menu to highlight, as well as get the little Nike logo in the tiny square and then I click on OK as instructed in the book. But, the minute I leave that screen and go back to the menu itself, it tells me that Copyright is OFF, but I thought I had just switched it on!
Be sure to select “Done” after making the changes, which essentially means “save.” On most of the menus, if you make changes and back out without selecting “Done,” it assumes you don't want to save the changes.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:20:25 am »

Be sure to select “Done” after making the changes, which essentially means “save.” On most of the menus, if you make changes and back out without selecting “Done,” it assumes you don't want to save the changes.

Gary, I owe you a debt of gratitude: your instructions have worked!

Told you I was too dumb to figure it out on my own; just not that sort of mind - I see it every day in different ways. Thanks again for your help.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:24:38 am »

Rob,

Welcome to the digital age, where everything you do on a camera has to be somewhat counter-intuitive to any of us over 15-years-old, and the simplest P&S camera comes with a 200-page totally unreadable manual!

Eric

P.S. I'm delighted to hear you are getting back into the game, at least for fun if not for profit.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:27:49 am »

Eric

Yes, for fun if not profit... fun?

Yesterday, Sunday, I did something I haven't done since Novemebr '08. I got up at 07.30 and found myself at the local market about 45mins later. Ann and I used to go every week - she loved it, the same old stalls, the vendors and the delightful, real produce, and she loved cooking. Frankly, I haven't had the balls to go back on my own, quite apart from the fact that I can't cook.

It was bitter-sweet. I couldn't, wouldn't, avoid a certain old lady who was aware of Ann's condition for the four years she had it, and who lost a niece to the same damn thing duing that time. This lady is 80 years old and still runs an orange stall, which since she lives and farms in Soller, a long mountain drive away, makes me feel not a little guilty at my own pampered and slothful existence. Anyway, she hadn't forgotten a thing, and had deduced the reasons for my absence. It was difficult for both of us.

But, photography. I trawled around said market for a while and also around some cafés with their little outdoor tables, waiting for something to happen, HC-B and Doisneau running through my head, and their conviction that you find a stage and await the actors... mine were all on friggin' strike.

Anyway, from there I moved down to the coast and the beach, with its millions of touristas, and wondered what I was doing there. I eventually stumbled across a lady of indeterminate age - late 60s? - with the most amazing and amazingly cantilevered and exposed bosom I have ever seen. I simply couldn't raise the camera. I discovered a sad truth about myself: not a voyeur, or if a voyeur, a cowardly one at that!

All in all, I must have been walking the land from about half-past-eight until half-past-one, by which time I figured it was sunstroke or lunch. I settled for the latter, which I think I made at home. Later, in the afternoon, I decided I had to face the computer and see what I’d got. It’s amazing how, at a first run-through, one can discard so much stuff! It was never like that with my work days! The trick was finding the best, a different choice altogether; I am not used to seeing so much crap, all my own, at any one time.

I don’t think ‘street’ was intended for me.

However, I’ll persevere with the few, current, provisional keepers, and if any are, indeed, kept, will pop a couple into the web.

One thing: I felt quite smug at being able to manage five hours on the foot at one go! Those pills must be working after all. But the D700 is not a camera for carrying on a strap. It’s a killer.

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:42:03 am »

Culling straight after taking some images might be the wrong thing? By all means look at them and leave for a few days or longer. If you look at them straight away you are comparing them in your mind with what you saw when you took them but later on you will possibly be looking at them as images which after all that is what they are. BTW Rob I have seen your website and you are definitely a voyeur. ;D ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 06:35:19 pm »

I agree with Stamper on this.

Sometimes I go back and browse through my original raw files a year or more after taking them, and when I do, I almost always find some shots that are better than the best of my first picks.

Anyway, Rob, it sounds as if it was a good and informative first venture out since ...

You might want to hire a Sherpa to carry the camera for you.

Cheers,

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:58:36 am »

Culling straight after taking some images might be the wrong thing? By all means look at them and leave for a few days or longer. If you look at them straight away you are comparing them in your mind with what you saw when you took them but later on you will possibly be looking at them as images which after all that is what they are. BTW Rob I have seen your website and you are definitely a voyeur. ;D ;)

Hi Stamper

No, I'm not deleting the NEFs, just not developìng them further at this stage; I also agree 100% with the fact that instant selection depends too much on emotional memory. It still lingers with old work stuff too! One funny thing: I was inside a bar looking out, and the deep shadow inside and the oblique view through a window, the bright exterior of a table with a woman sitting at it in sunlight, made me very happy that I remembered the sunny 16 trick! Nailed it perfectly! It is a keeper, if only for that fact. I also liked the massive darkness around the bright slit of a window. An odd dynamic.

I also tried some shots into one of those decorative mirrors with booze-maker logos on them; unfortunately, the motorbike race I was catching in it was too distant and I couldn't hold focus, even just recognizably, on both the mirror and tv screen, and partly because of that, the pic just looked like an accidental double-exposure, which wasn't the idea at all.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:09:45 am by Rob C »

stamper

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:14:04 am »

Rob, it sounds as if the hunger to do more shooting has returned for you? Personally I am in the doldrums at the moment with regards to finding subjects to shoot. I have bought a filter to shoot, which I haven't used yet, Infrared type images. That will probably keep me amused for a couple of weeks once I start using it and then what will I do next? Autumn is coming so it will be colour on the trees and in between times I will wander around covering old ground. Sounds like a chore? :(

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:09:24 am »

Stamper

The hunger to shoot never left me - what left me was the possibility of models and the impossibility of finding alternative genres that I could hang my interest upon; worthwile alternatives are hard to come by.

It all comes down to personality and mindset - how do you change what you are? And if you have to, is it worth the effort, the inner sense of betrayal? You have no idea the number of times I wish I had not bought into digital cameras at all. Though happy enough with the computer instead of a darkroom, for what I have done since buying digital bodies, I could have used up all my frozen films and bought heaps more and been ahead of the financial game; well ahead!

Perhaps the single biggest change has been this: with film, I don't think I'd have been prepared to spend film and processing on stuff such as I did on Sunday; it was only because I knew that it made no financial difference at all that I got out of bed and into Doisneau mode. But there was an immediate penalty, as I noted: the number of duff shots, which I thought probably were going to be duff at the time of doing them, was not a pleasant experience at all; quite bad for the ego, and it feels as if something in the standards department is on holiday or has slipped away, bit by bit... But, at least I got out, other than to go eat! That can't be bad. And I did see the woman with the magical front.

I have recently chatted up a girl I once asked to pose a year or two ago... gave her the website address, though she had already seen some b/w stuff way back... she's a bit older - maybe her mind might change. It already had then - first it was yes and then no. But that's the cool thing of second bites: you know it'll probably come to nothing, but it passes the time regardless.

I never did any infrared stuff - doesn't it require very long exposures and that's a problem with digi?

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:13:21 am by Rob C »

stamper

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:21:19 am »

I never did any infrared stuff - doesn't it require very long exposures and that's a problem with digi?

Unquote

You need to use a tripod unless you get the camera converted to remove some sort of filter. I have only so far took a couple of test shots to get the idea of it all. There is some post production work needed on the computer to make the images worthwhile.

Pages: [1]   Go Up