Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Da Movies  (Read 1441 times)

Rob C

Da Movies
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:01:35 am »

For years I have been haunted, on and off, by the slogan for something that probably dates to the 40s or 50s. I know that the answer to this can probably be found at a couple of clicks of Google, but that's so damn inhuman, cheating, don't you think?

So, the question. Does anyone know (without going the inhuman route) which movie used the words "Mitchum is mad, Bendix is bad and Greer is gorgeous" in its publicity? Must have seen the ad in Photoplay, Silver Screen or something like that.

I know the full names of the actors referred to, of course (I wasn't always a fossil), but darned if I can name the film.

Rob C

DarkPenguin

Re: Da Movies
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04:01 am »

I'm assuming "Mitchum" is Robert Mitchum but who the hell are "Bendix" and "Greer"?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:27:45 am »

Dark, So your profile is correct and you actually are nine years old. Naturally you wouldn't know about Bill Bendix. On the other hand "Greer" might be Greer Garson or Jane Greer. You wouldn't know about Greer Garson, since she died before you were born, but you might have seen something about Jane. She died the year you were born. Actually, Rob got me to wondering and I went the inhuman route: the movie was The Big Steal, 1949, with Robert Mitchum, Bill Bendix, and Jane Greer.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »

The only Greer I could come up with was Rosie.  I believe his great movie was "The Thing with Two Heads".

Should watch more Turner Classic Movies.

I should also fix my profile.  Not old but I'm sure not young.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »

Dark, So your profile is correct and you actually are nine years old. Naturally you wouldn't know about Bill Bendix. On the other hand "Greer" might be Greer Garson or Jane Greer. You wouldn't know about Greer Garson, since she died before you were born, but you might have seen something about Jane. She died the year you were born. Actually, Rob got me to wondering and I went the inhuman route: the movie was The Big Steal, 1949, with Robert Mitchum, Bill Bendix, and Jane Greer.

Russ - thanks for that; am I alone in thinking that movies then were more interesting, more skilled in the use of dialogue and far more able actually to connect with people? Or were we just more gullible? I don't think so. I believe that all this CG stuff has sucked the excitement out of the business. As for the sex - there isn't any now, just peek-a-boo mechanics.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up