Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: AF microadjustment - SpyderLensCal  (Read 28800 times)

cboh

Re: AF microadjustment - SpyderLensCal
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »

I am interested in the lensalign product but have read a review stating the instructions are being redone. I also learned for a$100.00 buck a year you can have Canon calibrate all your lenses and clean your camera through CPS.

I guess if the price was a bit lower I would buy one of them.

Mike Arst

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:03 am »

I am interested in the lensalign product but have read a review stating the instructions are being redone. I also learned for a$100.00 buck a year you can have Canon calibrate all your lenses and clean your camera through CPS.

Which review was that? And, is there a web site where Canon specifies prices for these services?

No doubt Nikon offers such a service as well, so let me think about it a bit....I can send my camera body and all of my lenses back to Nikon, at some fairly high cost for both shipping and insurance -- don't forget the insurance, not to mention the time involved in ensuring that you've done a VERY good job indeed with your packing -- and then wait for however long it might be for the equipment to be returned.

Add the cost of the above to the fee for having this sort of thing done. What's the total? (Not to mention: not having your equipment during the time it's in the shop or in transit.)

As opposed to: buy a lens alignment product or DIY -- whatever. Make the adjustments yourself via the focus-adjustment tools available in the camera. If memory serves, the manufacturers included those controls for a reason. As far as I can recall, the reason was: doing the focus adjustment yourself.

So which solution costs you more? I don't know the answer in precise dollars and cents. Which enables you to have your equipment at hand during the time you're doing the adjustments? The answer to that question is obvious enough.

Send the equipment away, 0. Do it yourself, 1. YMMV.

(And b.t.w., there's no guarantee that the company will always do the job correctly. There are stories of botched camera/lens adjustments, after which people had to send their equipment back to the service center for a further correction. If this were to happen, what would be the additional cost?)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:52:30 am by Mike Arst »

cboh

Michael Tapes

• Contributor
LensAlign
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:12 am »

I am interested in the lensalign product but have read a review stating the instructions are being redone.

Hi,

1 - A full User Guide has existed for a long time. Also a bunch of Quick Start Guides and some videos. And check out the Distance Tool. All available at the LensAlign Support Page.

2 - We will be announcing a new Lower Cost version that replaces our previous LITE version. It is far more comprehensive than LITE or any other product on the market except for our LensAlign Pro systems. Watch for the announcement in the next week or 2. Our plan is to be shipping by Nov 1 if all goes to plan.

Thanks for your interest in our product.
Michael Tapes
Designer: WhiBal, LensAlig

Mike Arst

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:22 am »

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/CPS_Member

When I used Canon equipment, I would not have qualified for CPS membership. And I don't qualify for membership in Nikon's similar program. Why not take advantage of an extremely useful feature enabling me to make the adjustments myself, customizing them until I'm satisfied that they're exactly right?

cboh

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 01:44:22 pm »

I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was cheaper. I read about the one coming out that I guess may have less features. Why not just make the one that is supposed to work now available for a better price.

There is another company who is looking into making something very similar for a reasonable cost. He isaid s making sure he does not infringe on any patens.

No offense to the creator of this product but when there was no other competion its one thing but soon I think there will be.

BTW I have nothing to do with anyone making these now or in the future.

Michael Tapes

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 02:11:13 pm »

As I stated above we plan to have a less costly version available shortly. We are in the final testing phases now.
Michael Tapes

cboh

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »

Will it be the same design? I do think , by the looks of it, your current product is superior to the other guys cardboard thing.

Michael Tapes

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 03:57:23 pm »

Yes, we believe that our new product will be superior to the "other guys" product. The new product incorporates many aspects of our current LensAlign Pro product. I would rather not say anymore here, lest this turn into a marketing spiel and/or pissing match. Let's let the product speak for itself when it is official announced. Thanks.
Michael Tapes

cboh

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 05:09:52 pm »

ok...hope I can hold out....doing a friends wedding in two weeks. Thanks

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2010, 01:39:42 am »

I sent an email to datacolour pointing out CDTobies weird response on the marketing materials.
Fortunately they seem to have other people working for the company with more sense:

Quote from: datacolor
Thank you for contacting Datacolor with your concerns and please apologize my delay.

You are perfectly correct that the proper response to any omission or simplification in marketing materials is to apologize and please accept my apology.

Our marketing departement has been informed and we will adjust our descriptions.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other issues.

Best regards,

Sophie Colla Schwery
Global Sales Director, Consumer BU

Phone:  +41 44 835 38 33
Mobile:  +41 79 431 33 62
Fax:       +41 44 835 38 20
Email:    sschwery@datacolor.com

pieter, aka pegelli

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2010, 09:40:59 am »

ok...hope I can hold out....doing a friends wedding in two weeks. Thanks

Stick the camera in front of a computer screen, switch to liveview, maximize the moiré, finished.

instructions on the Northlight (Cooper) site.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2010, 02:26:16 pm »

" lest this turn into a marketing spiel and/or pissing match.

That's quite sweet; took me right back to when I was around twelve or so and we used to acually hold such events in the school's junior Gents... as I recall, most of us were able to send it right above head level, in front of us, of course, never over the shoulder.

I don't suppose I ever found a good, practical outlet for such an ability in later life, quite apart from the fact that the altered power to weight issues that gravity and height impose changed the dynamic beyond repair. Interesting reminisce, though.

;-(

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up