Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colors do not match Screen (not close enough, at least for my taste)!  (Read 4788 times)

nilo

I work a lot with little proof prints or segments at original size. I accepted that the screen does not match the print well enough. Nonetheless I bother to get my screen as close as possible to the print. I adjust the white point as good as I can, comparing the paper white to the screen, but it doesn't really help. It is above all, this color mismatch that forces me to rely on hard proofs more than I thought that a soft proof work flow would need.

BTW I use a NEC PA241W paired with a NEC sensor for color critical work. And, yes everything here, except myself, is Munsell 8/5000K only ;-)

Thank you in advance for any help with this

regards

nino

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Colors do not match Screen (not close enough, at least for my taste)!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »

I work a lot with little proof prints or segments at original size. I accepted that the screen does not match the print well enough. Nonetheless I bother to get my screen as close as possible to the print. I adjust the white point as good as I can, comparing the paper white to the screen, but it doesn't really help. It is above all, this color mismatch that forces me to rely on hard proofs more than I thought that a soft proof work flow would need.

BTW I use a NEC PA241W paired with a NEC sensor for color critical work. And, yes everything here, except myself, is Munsell 8/5000K only ;-)

Thank you in advance for any help with this

regards

nino

Are you using manufacturer or custom profiles for your printer/paper combination?

edit: never mind, your post appears to be a duplicate.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:28:06 pm by feppe »

nilo

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »

Are you using manufacturer or custom profiles for your printer/paper combination?

edit: never mind, your post appears to be a duplicate.

no, the post is not a duplicate. I thought it would be of importance to dissociate the brightness issue from the color problem. And where things are holding now that's what got out of the other post. I leave "simulate paper color" unchecked and the problem of a to dark prints, became a lot better. Now that left me still with the colors being off.

I do use manufacturer profiles and custom profiles, though not made inhouse.

regards

nino

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:21 am »

I thought it would be of importance to dissociate the brightness issue from the color problem.
you can't dissociate color from brightness... as color is directly related to brightness.

I don't know your NEC software. With Eizo's Color Navigator I can adjust the colors (hue and saturation) in the hardware of the monitor to get a better screen-match of the print. In fact I use a tweaked monitor profile to softproof my preferred paper... but these are only very slight adjustments on the saturation of 3 colors.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:43:47 am »

Do you have a viewing booth with a dimmer, or standard 500lx? Are these proofs certified? What's written on certification label?
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

nilo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:57 pm »

you can't dissociate color from brightness... as color is directly related to brightness.

I agree. You are right, I have no doubt about that, it's just that the two are often symptoms for different problems in color management.

I don't know your NEC software. With Eizo's Color Navigator I can adjust the colors (hue and saturation) in the hardware of the monitor to get a better screen-match of the print. In fact I use a tweaked monitor profile to softproof my preferred paper... but these are only very slight adjustments on the saturation of 3 colors.
I can do all that too.

nino

nilo

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:29 pm »

Marcin,

Do you have a viewing booth with a dimmer, or standard 500lx?
The viewing booth next to my soft proof station is dimmed to 50%. The large wall booth is at max.
Are these proofs certified? What's written on certification label?
"certified" what  ??? Don't know what you mean  ;)  Honestly, I did not bother with that till now. I work only for inhouse print. I do portraits, fine art and a bit of reproduction of oil paintings.  I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but I know about those strips that when placed under standard lighting conditions, show that the lighting is correct, or something like that. Interesting, but for sure expensive and hard to get here in my tinny little oasis. Please do tell me more!

regards

nino

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:30:35 am »

Sorry, misunderstanding. In printing industry a "proof print" is a simulation of a printing press, and it usually contains a wedge, that is measured with a spectro to check that it's printed with accordance to a standard. GATF metameric strip is something different.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

nilo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:56 am »

Sorry, misunderstanding. In printing industry a "proof print" is a simulation of a printing press, and it usually contains a wedge, that is measured with a spectro to check that it's printed with accordance to a standard. GATF metameric strip is something different.

So how should I call my "proof prints" in the future to avoid misunderstanding?
Pages: [1]   Go Up