For some reason Kelby seems like he has to sound funny!
It seems Kelby always had a longing to be recognized as an entertainer but, with acne, couldn't go very far. He managed to find a different kind of stage to perform on. Whatever his longings, Kelby is a success. A pamphlet advertising NAPP was included in my Adobe CS5 Design Premium box. Adobe shows Kelby some love.
I joined NAPP in the early days and quickly got turned off by the circus-like effort. I got the impression the "show" was far more important than the learning experience and I eventually let my membership expire.
I'm attracted to teachers who won't let their "schtick" dominate the learning experience. Schewe is the exception because I think his talent as a photographer/artist and his genius mind trump all else.
Evening's beauty images seem to be stuck in the 80's but he's an excellent teacher, an excellent writer, he's an accomplished professional photographer, and he's a hell-of-a nice guy. Evening has personality but it never gets in the way of the learning experience.
My new love is George Jardine. A friend turned me on to his new Lightroom 3 tutorial (
http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=2) and I've never been more impressed. The quality of Jardine's learning experience is far superior to anything I've seen. And his talent as a professional photographer allows us to see our work in his. As George manipulates his images, it's easy to imagine ourselves working on a similar image in our own library. I'm most impressed with the production quality of Jardine's videos. Even on a very large screen, the images are crisp, clear, and his cursor is easy to follow. Jardine's voice is soothing, too. He shows plenty of personality in his voice but it never gets in the way of learning experience. Not a second of schtick. I can't praise Jardine's videos highly enough.