Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR in CS5, how fast should it take the screen to refresh after adjustment?  (Read 19874 times)

Bill Koenig

I just upgraded to Win7 ultimate 64 installed PhotoShop CS5 64, 8 GB ram, video card has 256 MB of on board ram, its also on the list of recommended cards.
After making adjustments in ACR the little hour glass is taking 4 to 5 seconds to refresh, this seems a bit slow, and the time adds up waiting 5 sec every time I make any adjustment
Is it possible that I don't have something set right, or is this normal?
The raw files are from my D200.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:05:16 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

madmanchan

• Web

What types of adjustments do you have applied?  e.g., local corrections, lens profiles?
Eric Chan

Bill Koenig

Hi Eric,

First, just to let you know, I've just started using CS5 in the last 10 days.
I'm bringing my raw files into ACR, just one at a time and just doing global edits, white balance, exposure, recovery, fill light, black point, mid range brightness, clarity, vibrance, ect.
If I move one of the sliders, the little hour glass pop's up and there's about a 4 to 5 second delay before I see the result.
I'm not sure about this, but when I first start out I think its a little quicker, but by the time I start to edit the luminosity and saturation sliders, 5 sec wait for sure, and that's really a drag when your going back and forth between plus and minus side of one of the colors trying to find that sweet spot.

BTW, I'm opening Bridge from CS5 if that matters.
Also, if I use the magnifier in bridge, there's a longer wait for that to refresh (the image starts blurry, then clears up) 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:40:35 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

First off, if you open Camera Raw hosted by Bridge, you'll be limited to a 32-bit version of camera Raw since only Photoshop is a 64-bit app.

Second, it's unclear if you are using an updated 12.0.1 Photoshop and the most recent GM release of ACR version 6.1? There were specific improvements in ACR 6.1. If not running the updates, update and try opening Camera Raw via Photoshop and not Bridge.

Bill Koenig

I'll check when I get home and report back.

Thanks.
Bill Koenig,

Bill Koenig

I have ACR v 6.1.0.250

OK, when first making edits in the basic panel, that's pretty quick (1 to 2 sec)
When making adjustments in the HSL/ Grayscale panel, that's where I'm having about a 4 to 5 second delay. If I go back to the basic panel from HSL, I still get a 4 to 5 sec delay.
So far I haven't done anything beyond the HSL panel (no profiles)
If I close out ACR and open another raw file, the basic panel is back to the 1 to 2 sec.
Now that I took the time to take a closer look, I think going back to the basic panel from HSL and having the same 4 to 5 sec delay is what had me scratching my head.
Is this normal behavior for ACR? If not, what could be causing this delay?

BTW, I do open Bridge from CS5 64
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:10:38 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

Schewe

BTW, I do open Bridge from CS5 64
But if you are opening Camera Raw hosted in Bridge (command/control R) vs Photoshop (command/control O) then you are opening the 32-bit version of Camera Raw, not the 64-bit version. Depending on your Bridge prefs, double-clicking may open ACR hosted in Bridge or in Photoshop. You really, really do want to be sure you open ACR via Photoshop that is running as a 64-bit app, not a 32-bit app.

As to the slowdowns, if you have 6.1 and are running the 64-bit ACR, then the only other thing external to PS/ACR is to make sure your vid drivers are up to date.

All I can tell you is normally, ACR is virtually instant when make spider adjustments...the only thing that slows down for me s if I have a ton of local corrections on a really big raw fileā€“like a 60MP Phase One P-65+. But I'm running a Mac with tons of ram and opening ACR via Photoshop.

Bill Koenig

OK, yes I wasn't opening ACR correctly to get 64 bit. After doing this, the sliders in HSL panel are twice as fast, but not instant.
I turned Open GL off in PH, still a bit faster, but not instant.
I turned Open GL back on and ran in basic mode, this worked the best. Now its almost instant when moving the HSL sliders.
My vid card only has 256 MB of ram, so I guess that's holding me back, but I'm happy with the speed improvement running in basic mode.
Thanks Jeff, problem solved.
Bill Koenig,

Schewe

Thanks Jeff, problem solved.

Well, problem improved...the bottom line is that adding the new Process 2010 with Lens Corrections and local adjustments is still very, VERY processor intensive. At a certain point, it's always a trade off regarding image quality (almost always worth it) and speed. But making sure you run Camera Raw 64-bit in Photoshop as a 64-bit app is worth training yourself from opening image in ACR hosted in Bridge!

jpegman

I'm not sure if I missed it, but you never said what CPU your PC has nor what video card you have driving your 256Mb of RAM - CPU's, multi-cores. and CPU speeds as well as GPU and video RAM bus speeds are a critical part of the performance equation!

Jpegman

ravel03

I have also noticed performance improvements when opening ACR hosted by Photoshop as a 64 bits app on the Mac. Question: can we expect Bridge CS5 to ever become a 64 bits app via updates or are we looking more at CS6 for this to happen?

sniper

It should be more or less instant, we still have an old dell (8 years) with 2 gb ram on xp and even that shows the ajustments as they are made for the basic ajustments.

01af

Re: ACR in CS5, how fast should it take the screen to refresh after adjustment?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:23:24 am »

Setting both luminance and chroma noise reduction to zero seems to help; refreshing the preview window is much faster then. Adjust the noise reduction parameters as the last step in your Camera Raw workflow.

AFairley

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 04:09:10 pm »

I'm not sure if I missed it, but you never said what CPU your PC has nor what video card you have driving your 256Mb of RAM - CPU's, multi-cores. and CPU speeds as well as GPU and video RAM bus speeds are a critical part of the performance equation!

Jpegman

I thought PS did not use the GPU to render except in 3-D and some zooming applications, neither of which should be implicated in and ACR image refresh situation.  I have a quad core with 8GB of RAM, and my refresh slows to a crawl when I start making local adjustments.

stevenskl

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 04:55:47 am »

Just an idea: Could ACR not be faster, if Adobe added OpenCL? I have tried Capture One, which uses OpenCL and have to say that it reacts in realtime to every slider you move. Turning OpenCL off makes it way slower (and slower than ACR). Moving sliders in ACR does not look as fast on screen as Capture One. The "slowest sliders" are the manual CA corrections.

jpassaneau

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »

Jeff..

Thanks for pointing out the setting in Bridge preff's. I've read many comments on ACR in 32/64bit but no clear information on how to do it.

Thank you very much, ACR is noticeably faster now.

John Passaneau
Pages: [1]   Go Up