Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Rica Shoot  (Read 2077 times)

Costa Rica Shoot
« on: February 17, 2003, 05:37:01 pm »

The shot appeals. That's all. It has the theme of a Luminous Landscape so I put it on the masthead.

What makes you think ( or presume to know) that it was done with a "machine gun" approach? In fact I did exactly 6 exposures at that location in a 1 hour period. Machine gun?

If you're talking about the fact that I did 2000 exposures in a 10 day period, keep in mind that we were primerily shooting wildlife. I'd say that this was modest under the circumstances, and comparable quantities were done by the other trip members.

All I can say is that it's too bad you can't see a large print. It's absolutely stunning, and nothing like the compressed JPG found on the site.

Michael

dbarthel

Costa Rica Shoot
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 10:07:42 am »

Ah, now we're back to my request about optimizing for the web. It is fustrating to take subtile detail and munch it into a blob with JPEG. This is one of the images I was thinking about when I asked Michael for an optimizing for the web tutorial. SO much is lost going to a 500x1000 medium quality jpeg.

Dan

Doug_Dolde

Costa Rica Shoot
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 04:31:31 pm »

I can't help but notice that the masthead shot title Sunset Ridge for your Costa Rica trip was judged by you to be one of your best out of 2000 frames.  It's a good enough shot but I'd be extremely dissappointed if this was my best from a weeks trip with that many frames shot.  To me this illustrates just how bad the machine gun approach to photography can be.  

I'm not trying to make an attack, but I think the point is worth considering.  I've found many of your Pentax 67 shots to be much more pleasing aesthetically than those from the 1Ds.

By comparison, this image of mine was taken on a day where I exposed only 8 sheets of 4x5 film.

Hank

Costa Rica Shoot
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 08:23:00 pm »

I don't think there's any point in mixing comparisons between pixels and film grains with statements of personal taste.  Without any reflection on either photographer's past or future images, I find the image on the opening page of LL much more appealing than this particular post.  That might change in viewing them side by side as large prints, but judging image quality from small jpeg's posted on the web is akin to directing a slender stream of water up a tall rope.

Hank
Pages: [1]   Go Up