Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost all of my star rated images on importing existing catalogue - Help!  (Read 1952 times)

AndyWatson

Help ! Please... I followed the tutorial instructions to transfer my Lr 2 catalogue to my newly set up  Lr 3 but none of my star rated images transfered.
Is that because I had not saved to XMP metadata files on these images in the old catalogue ?  Any hints? Will I have to start again and reload Lr 3, having saved to
XMPs on my old catalogue ?  Many thanks if any advice.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years

Andy

You did have your catalog backed-up, right?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

AndyWatson

Yes John, I had it backed up and have all the original raw files too. I also have my Lr 2 catalogue still running in its
original form. My worry is more about why all of the star rated images did not transfer into Lr 3.
Thanks if you can help.

john beardsworth

• My photography site

I don't know what the tutorials says, but this is how to get your LR2 catalogue into LR3. Open LR3 and File > Open Catalog, then point to your LR2 catalogue, and let LR3 convert it (it creates a copy so there's no risk). You should not be thinking about xmp files in this upgrade context.

John

AndyWatson

John,

Yes that is what I did and it has imported everything Ok except for the 15% of the images which I had star rated. Of course those are the most important
ones and the ones which I had done crop and retouch to so that is my problem.

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Andy

In Lr3, create a completely new catalogue, then use File > Import from Catalog to import your LR2 catalogue. Make 100% sure it is the LR2 catalogue that's being imported (you should get a message about converting the format). This should work reliably and I've not seen any other reports of a problem in this area.

John

AndyWatson

John,  Thanks for that. I have had success by uninstalling Lr3, spending some tome on my Lr2 using 'cmd'  's' to save all my rated images information to XMP and optimising again Lr2. I then reinstalled Lr3 but this time on an external HD and File >imported the Lr2 catalogue.  All seems well so far, so I'm not quite sure which procedure helped but happy to be up & running. Thanks for your help. Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up