Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR to m4/3?  (Read 5928 times)

johnwolf

DSLR to m4/3?
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:43:20 am »

I'm wondering if others in the forum have experimented with micro four thirds cameras and how they feel in relation to their DSLRs.

I'm a 5DII user. This year, as an experiment, I shot my 2010 SoFoBoMo project using a Panasonic GF1. (You can view the PDF book at http://sofobomo.org/book-412-The-Road-Ends-in-Water.) I know there's no comparison for large prints or high ISO, but I printed several shots on my Epson 2400 at 12 x 16" and I'm impressed. I have not done comparison prints, but at that size I suspect there wouldn't be much difference. Has anyone done such comparisons?

I really enjoyed the small size and light weight. And for this particular project, I think having a more touristy-looking camera was an asset.

Not sure I'm ready to sell my Canon gear, but I haven't used it much since getting the GF1 kit.

John

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: DSLR to m4/3?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:44:49 pm »

Your experience echos mine. On digital I shoot 550D and E-PL1, and since getting the MFT haven't done much shooting with the 550D. I've been very impressed with the MFT performance at up to 13x19" prints with the Panasonic 14-45mm MFT zoom. In fact when I first printed out a full-sized print I was having really hard time understanding how exceptional it looks. I'm planning to move to MFT primes, just like I shoot entirely with primes on the 550D, which will make for even better IQ and lighter kit.

I haven't done rigorous testing, yet; waiting for my newly acquired LF film camera to arrive from CLA after which I'll do a shootout to compare results I get between MFT, APS-C, MF film and LF film.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »

I'm not going to give up my DSLR cameras quite yet, but I love my GF1. Just got it last month (I know, late to the party as usual), and it's been a blast. It's the perfect everyday-carry camera, great for travel, tourism, and it fits nicely in my briefcase so I always have a camera at work, even when I leave the big cameras in the car. With the 20/1.7 I can shoot most anything I want and get good results.

In my work, the image quality is at least as good as the files from the 40D. Not as good as the 1D Mark IV, but then I wasn't expecting that. I treat it like an old Leica CL with the 40mm lens -- shoot at f/2 most of the time, using the EVF and the smallest center focus point. Pick the best camera position, and crop later as required (like the old days....) Getting some really nice results.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

johnwolf

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:00:45 pm »

Feppe, what primes are you considering? I like AF, so about the only prime candidate seems to be the 45 2.8. Although rumors say more are coming.

On the 5DII I use center point focus/recompose. But on the GF1 I'm so impressed with the multi-point AF that I use that method.  It seems uncanny in targeting the right focus area. 

I'm considering selling a Canon lens for a second GF1 body. One with the 20mm and a second with the 14 - 45 seems ideal to me.

John

feppe

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:12:32 pm »

Feppe, what primes are you considering? I like AF, so about the only prime candidate seems to be the 45 2.8. Although rumors say more are coming.

The 20mm pancake and 45mm Panasonic/Leica (link below) would cover 80% of my needs. I'm hoping for a non-fisheye wide angle which would cover the last 20%. There's a 14mm Panasonic expected at Photokina which might be wide enough.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense_detail.html#45f2.8

Man, creating links with this new forum software is a PITA.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:26:50 pm by feppe »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:04:26 pm »

The 20mm f1.7 pancake might be my favorite lens of all time.  The only issue I have with m43 is speed, dynamic range and lens selection.  I'll cope with that for the weight savings.

Ken Bennett

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »

I've been really happy with the 20mm Panny lens. If and when the 14mm comes out, those two lenses will cover 90% of my personal/travel shooting.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:13 pm »

I'd rather they made a 12mm but I still want that 14mm.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:10:31 am »

I bought a GF1 a couple of months ago and it continues to amaze me. Normally I use a D700 but the GF1 get pretty close.

pcunite

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:24 pm »

What I want/need in a camera is the ability to shoot a person in a smallish room from about 5-10 feet from the camera and have the out-of-focus look, image grain, and image sharpness in an 800 pixel final image. The 1D Mark III body along with the 35L gives me this now. Of course the 1D body is huge but it has all the features I need in professional situations.

Make things smaller, just give me what I currenly have. I think shooting outside it where the m4/3 makes more sense.

feppe

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:50:34 pm »

What I want/need in a camera is the ability to shoot a person in a smallish room from about 5-10 feet from the camera and have the out-of-focus look, image grain, and image sharpness in an 800 pixel final image. The 1D Mark III body along with the 35L gives me this now. Of course the 1D body is huge but it has all the features I need in professional situations.

Make things smaller, just give me what I currenly have. I think shooting outside it where the m4/3 makes more sense.

You need a 1DIII for 800 pixel images? One can't tell the difference between DSLR and MFDB at such a resolution.

The 20mm Panny pancake lens is almost the same focal length (40mm equivalent), and is quite fast - although not as fast as the 35L. You'd have to compare them side-by-side if they give enough DOF blur for your needs.

Not sure what you mean by image grain, but if you like grain you can add it in post. If you're avoiding it, note that Olympus has image stabilization which works very well, so you can shoot at lower ISO than with the 1D.

pcunite

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »

You need a 1DIII for 800 pixel images? One can't tell the difference between DSLR and MFDB at such a resolution.

I use the 1DIII because it has raid, LiveView, and very little grain, less post processing. The DOF of blur is geat... same as FF with a 50mm lens I would think. I shoot at f2 mostly. I don't know if I could use something else, just saying that a replacement needs to give me all that. The most important point is that subject to camera distance while still keeping everything else constant. MFDB would be great but then I would need extra lighting, so 35mm systems seem to do it all at the moment. Just curious to know what the m4/3 world can do for my needs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:01:56 pm by pcunite »

douglasf13

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »

I just bought a Sony NEX-5 + Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 lens as a companion to my A900 for the same reason.

feppe

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »

I use the 1DIII because it has raid, LiveView, and very little grain, less post processing. The DOF of blur is geat... same as FF with a 50mm lens I would think. I shoot at f2 mostly. I don't know if I could use something else, just saying that a replacement needs to give me all that. The most important point is that subject to camera distance while still keeping everything else constant. MFDB would be great but then I would need extra lighting, so 35mm systems seem to do it all at the moment. Just curious to know what the m4/3 world can do for my needs.

According to DOF Calculator the difference of 35mm FF lens at f/2.0 and 20mm MFT lens at f/1.7 is even smaller than wide open: 2.3 feet of acceptable sharpness with FF vs 4 feet with MFT at 10 feet distance.

MFT has liveview, noise is not an issue at 800 pixels even when going to reasonably high ISOs, and LR3 noise reduction does wonders even at higher resolutions.

It doesn't hurt to test an MFT camera side-by-side if you're for some reason unhappy with the 1DIII. My main selling point when buying E-PL1 was the miniscule size and weight, even compared to an APS-C camera. I'd go for an Olympus as they have image stabilization in the body, ie. all lenses are stabilized, and allows you to shoot at lower light levels which you imply you do.

pcunite

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 08:42:27 pm »

It doesn't hurt to test an MFT camera side-by-side if you're for some reason unhappy with the 1DIII. My main selling point when buying E-PL1 was the miniscule size and weight, even compared to an APS-C camera.

I'll keep an eye on the tech, I don't want to change systems when everything is working great for me now. It is nice to know that someday things will be smaller, lighter.

johnwolf

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 08:27:16 am »

Yes, fast AF primes are what's missing from the 4/3 line. And there's still is not a fast constant aperture zoom. The other major gap is the viewfinder. Personally, I would take a significantly larger body with a good integral EVF. If it's not pocketable, what's the difference?

John

Ken Bennett

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:15:09 am »

Of course the 1D body is huge but it has all the features I need in professional situations.

Well, sure, for professional situations I carry my 1D bodies. But it's really nice to have a small camera with me in other situations, and not have to worry about image quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up