Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 48x36mm Digital back and Flexbody: which lens?  (Read 5966 times)

EinstStein

48x36mm Digital back and Flexbody: which lens?
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:14:58 pm »

I think 40mm IF would be the best partner for flexbody+ 48mmx36mm digital back. What would be the next lens?
It seems 40mm FLE is lack of coverage, particularly for shift. 50mm FLE has more coverage but lack of angle of field.
Suggestion?

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:20:08 am »

For interiors, you don't really have the choice, the 40mm only has a few mm shift i think, the 50 some more.
All the other lenses do great on the flexbody, the CFE 120mm is hard to beat in the studio, I also used the (very old ) c 60mm and CFE 80mm. The old black C 60mm is the only lens I was never really happy with on all my 'Blad bodies. At least get a CF or CFi/e.

Tom

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:54:51 pm »

CF 60mm is a good suggestion, thanks. I think I'm still back to 40mm IF, which has the coverage up to 50mm fle and 60mm. The price is high though, even with the used one.
The best price I can get for a 40mm IF is enough to purchase a Canon TSII 24mm and 17mm.  I'm hesitated if I should instead get the two Canon TSII's for my FF DSLR.\

E.S

Quote from: tom_l
For interiors, you don't really have the choice, the 40mm only has a few mm shift i think, the 50 some more.
All the other lenses do great on the flexbody, the CFE 120mm is hard to beat in the studio, I also used the (very old ) c 60mm and CFE 80mm. The old black C 60mm is the only lens I was never really happy with on all my 'Blad bodies. At least get a CF or CFi/e.

Tom

vandevanterSH

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:15:12 pm »

deleted
Steve
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:21:26 pm by vandevanterSH »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:20:13 pm »

Quote from: EinstStein
I think 40mm IF would be the best partner for flexbody+ 48mmx36mm digital back. What would be the next lens?
It seems 40mm FLE is lack of coverage, particularly for shift. 50mm FLE has more coverage but lack of angle of field.
Suggestion?

Hasselblad gives values for shift when using the supplied 40mm x 50mm "mask".  With a 48 x 36 digital back the shift numbers will be slightly better.  Shift with mask 40mm=7mm, 50mm=12mm, 60mm=15mm.  IMO, the best bang for the buck, cost and shift,  is a 50mm CF @ about $700 in ex cond.

The problem with short focal length with inadequate image circle to support significant shift if the reason Hasselblad developed the ArcBody and the 35, 45, and 75mm Rodenstock lenses.

Steve

David Klepacki

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:17:06 am »

Quote from: EinstStein
Suggestion?

I used to work with the Flexbody and a 48x36 digital back and had no problem shifting the full 14mm with the 40mm IF lens.  The 40mm lens data that is published by Hasselblad is for the older 40mm FLE lens, which is a much different design.  The newer 40IF lens is much much sharper.  Of course, it is indeed much more expensive than the 50mm lens as mentioned above, but 50mm might not be wide enough for your needs.  

As for lens choices with the flexbody and your mfdb, I would recommend the 40IF and the 120CFi/CFE as the best two lens kit.  If you also need to have something in between, I would then recommend adding the 80CFE.  In general, the CFi/CFE lenses do seem to have higher contrast and better internal flare control than the earlier versions.

EinstStein

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:19 am »

The 7mm shift for 40mm/FLE and 12mm for 50mm/FLE are with horizontal format. With veritical format they actually drop to 2mm and 7mm.
I thought about switching to Arcbody, but Hasselblad doesn't recommend it for digital back. Rodenstock has similar statements. I think this is now a common sense.

I'm down to the choice between 40mm/IF + Flexbody and 24mm+17mm TSII + Canon FF DSLR.
Anyone could share your experience or your observation?

E.S

Quote from: vandevanterSH
Hasselblad gives values for shift when using the supplied 40mm x 50mm "mask".  With a 48 x 36 digital back the shift numbers will be slightly better.  Shift with mask 40mm=7mm, 50mm=12mm, 60mm=15mm.  IMO, the best bang for the buck, cost and shift,  is a 50mm CF @ about $700 in ex cond.

The problem with short focal length with inadequate image circle to support significant shift if the reason Hasselblad developed the ArcBody and the 35, 45, and 75mm Rodenstock lenses.

Steve

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
Re: 48x36mm Digital back and Flexbody: which lens?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:07 am »

I use the new 24 TS-E on a 5D2 and this combo is awesome. The 24 TS-E is the best wideangle lens i´ve ever come across and that by a margin. Sharpness, color, distortion, build quality are all top. The workflow is fast and comfy with it on the 5D2. Live view makes composing and focussing easy (also in dark places). I can work much faster with this combo and this leads to more shots taken and the client has more options.

Philipp
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

Yangt26224

• http://thomasyangimage.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

i found the 50mm/flexbody + Arca Cube C1 the best combo to get wider coverage by using the pan on the C1 head and the rise/fall of the rear standard on the flex body to get the same or wider coverage as the 40mm. I have the 40mm CF IF. It is excellent lens, but a bit too heavy for the flexbody to handle in the field plus it uses larger filters. I normal kit nowincludes a 501CM, 50mm CF, 80mm CFE and 150mm CF and a flexbody. I rarely carry the 40mm any more. Hope this help.

EinstStein

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:11:47 pm »

I'm understand your comment about 24mmTS. But do you have experience on Flexbody? How do you compare?
I'm asking because I am comparing apple to orange. Obviously 24mmTSII would cover much wider than 40mmIF. But the image quality is also different.
The question is which is more delicious, apple or orange? 

EinstStein

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:29 pm »

If you are talking about stitch, why not using gigapan + 35mm DSLR or such?
You'll need a few times more shots for the puzzles, but you are likely to get much finer shots per angle of field.

i found the 50mm/flexbody + Arca Cube C1 the best combo to get wider coverage by using the pan on the C1 head and the rise/fall of the rear standard on the flex body to get the same or wider coverage as the 40mm. I have the 40mm CF IF. It is excellent lens, but a bit too heavy for the flexbody to handle in the field plus it uses larger filters. I normal kit nowincludes a 501CM, 50mm CF, 80mm CFE and 150mm CF and a flexbody. I rarely carry the 40mm any more. Hope this help.

adammork

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 03:41:06 am »

I'm understand your comment about 24mmTS. But do you have experience on Flexbody? How do you compare?
I'm asking because I am comparing apple to orange. Obviously 24mmTSII would cover much wider than 40mmIF. But the image quality is also different.
The question is which is more delicious, apple or orange? 

The two new canon lenses, the 17 and 24 mm, is quite good, and will outperform the Hasselblad lenses regarding distortion, CA and coverage, and they are sharp too.....

You need modern digitars, or the like, from Schneider or Rodenstock to get better performance than those two, and the margin between them in practical shooting are not that huge.

and yes I have experience  ;)

/adam

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 04:24:13 am »

The lens I have used most on my Flexbody is the Macro 120... on 6 * 6 this is a good lens for the Flexbody as it has plenty of spare image circle, but this is not an issue with a "small" digital back (the large (53.7 * 40.2) digital backs are not compatible, but they are only about 4mm each way bigger).

I think I am about to get a CF39, which will be very useful for back-packing with the Flexbody.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up