Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to get Lightroom ratings to show in C1?  (Read 4395 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Any way to get Lightroom ratings to show in C1?
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:16:36 am »

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to get the lightroom ratings to show up in C1.   I've got LR3 and C1 5.1  
Thanks,
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »

anybody?
Rolleiflex USA

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:17:37 pm »

Use Capture One to edit/rate or use Lightroom to move the selects into another physical folder.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:57:46 pm »

Doug,
Thanks for the suggestions.   I guess the brute force folder method will work but wish there were a faster way.   What would be really awesome is if I could rate in either application and have it pass.  I really like LR3 for cataloging and printing.  Was pleased to find out that LR3 also works with the phase IIQ files as well.    So really want my workflow to be LR3 for cataloging and rating and C1 for conversions but sometimes its convenient to just start working in C1 and do my pics there especially when in the studio or on site.
Eric

Rolleiflex USA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Investigate switching to a DNG based workflow. C1 will read DNGs' ratings and other metadata. Alternatively, just put more effort into figuring out why you're not happy with the results you're getting out of LR.

John

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:15:51 am »

Quote from: johnbeardy
Investigate switching to a DNG based workflow. C1 will read DNGs' ratings and other metadata. Alternatively, just put more effort into figuring out why you're not happy with the results you're getting out of LR.

John

Thanks for the suggestion, but  I'm not excited about converting tens of thousands of my phase files to DNG right now but something to think about in the future I guess.  I realize that there may be ways to improve the output of LR3 but that's probably true of C1 as well.  Doug's suggestion to move the selects into folders will be much easier.

LR3 is vastly improved over LR2 for the phase p20 files I have.  I've noticed that for ISO 400 and ISO 800 the change is really dramatic (though I don't have so many of these images).   Very pleased with LR3 for these images but over the color and detail are better with C1 and its much easier to get images the way I like them in C1.   I do feel that for the ixpress 528c files, LR3 is doing a good job with those DNG files however the highlight and shadow tools are better in Phocus than in LR3.   It just seems like reading the side cars LR3 makes would be an easy thing to do.

Rolleiflex USA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 04:00:40 am »

Quote from: EricWHiss
It just seems like reading the side cars LR3 makes would be an easy thing to do.
Indeed it should be easy. Maybe ask if someone in the PhaseOne community has figured out how to script it?

The other possibility would be to go through Expression Media (you should have received a free licence number for it). This will certainly read ratings from sidecars, but it can also write them directly inside raw files, which C1 could then read. A few caveats though - not sure you'd want to write into your raw files, I don't know if it'll write them into Phase raw formats, and again I don't know but maybe in PhaseOne's initial work on Expression Media they have made it open files into C1 without needing to write anything into the raw file. You may then question what role, if any, LR plays in the workflow.

Lastly, what role do the ratings play? Why not simply identify the items you want to process in C1, and then drag them from LR to C1's icon. There are also LR plug-ins (my OpenDirectly can open files directly in C1 and Syncomatic could copy metadata if that's the underlying issue).

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up