Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visible Aurora Tonight  (Read 2053 times)

BobFisher

Visible Aurora Tonight
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:00:26 pm »

High levels of storm activity on the sun in recent days and the directionality of the storm activity apparently will give a fairly rare opportunity to see the Northern Lights further south than normal.  Folks in the northern U.S. and southern Canada may be able to see the aurora late in the night of August 3 and/or early in the morning of August 4.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Visible Aurora Tonight
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:39:32 pm »

Quote from: BobFisher
High levels of storm activity on the sun in recent days and the directionality of the storm activity apparently will give a fairly rare opportunity to see the Northern Lights further south than normal.  Folks in the northern U.S. and southern Canada may be able to see the aurora late in the night of August 3 and/or early in the morning of August 4.

Here is a link that graphically shows the intensity of the aurora and tips on photographing them.  Something to note the display has a red arrow that points to the sun and what you can see from the graphical representation is that the intensity is heaviest/ and tends to be further south on the opposite side of the planet - so midnight your local time.

Here in the Toronto area the President of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada was on the radio, said look north, and if really intense these could be overhead around midnight.  But also only something like a 50% chance these actually happen or are visible here (about 43-44 deg. N).  Try to get away from cities.urban areas for better chance of seeing these too.

http://www.skynews.ca/pages/aurora.html
[size=12p

SJ.Butel

Visible Aurora Tonight
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:50 pm »

Good luck, hope you get to see them.

One was "likely" to come last night for us in the southern hem but I was at 1000m till 3.30 when the clouds started to come in and didn't see anything.

BobFisher

Visible Aurora Tonight
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:15:40 am »

No go, at least where I was.  Too much haze in the air and too much light pollution.  The sky looked grey rather than black.  This was between about 11:40 and 12:30.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:16:07 am by BobFisher »

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Visible Aurora Tonight
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »

Quote from: BobFisher
No go, at least where I was.  Too much haze in the air and too much light pollution.  The sky looked grey rather than black.  This was between about 11:40 and 12:30.

Same in Toronto area - humid and I was in urban area plus intensity had died down significantly by midnight according to that link I provided.
[size=12p

Joe Behar

Visible Aurora Tonight
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »

Quote from: AndrewKulin
Same in Toronto area - humid and I was in urban area plus intensity had died down significantly by midnight according to that link I provided.

Andrew,

Don't feel bad. Although it was clear just south of Barrie, I waited and watched till well past midnight and there was no sign of any activity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up