Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not quite an upgrade  (Read 2448 times)

D. King

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 101
Not quite an upgrade
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:56 am »

I'm running LR 2.  My kids gave me LR 3 as a gift but it's not the upgrade version.  Is there anything I need to be aware of when I install it or will it act like a normal upgrade?  

Thanks
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:59:11 am »

Hi,

Pretty sure you just install it. I think there is only one version and only the serial numbers differ.

BR
Erik Kaffehr

Quote from: D. King
I'm running LR 2.  My kids gave me LR 3 as a gift but it's not the upgrade version.  Is there anything I need to be aware of when I install it or will it act like a normal upgrade?  

Thanks
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

pegelli

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1664
    • http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:00:15 am »

I'm sure there is no technical problem, but would your kids be willing and able to exchange it for the upgrade version? Saves about 200 $ that can be spent on something else (I leave the negotiation for who to you   )
Logged
pieter, aka pegelli

D. King

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 101
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:07:20 pm »

Thanks, gents.
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »

I installed the LR3 Beta 1 and Beta 2 before the final version came out and had no problems running LR2 and LR3 - although they can't be run at the same time.  I have the full LR3 version now and LR2 still runs fine.

Mike.

P.S.  You should definitely look into the upgrade for the $200 though.  If you provide Adobe with your LR2 serial number and your LR3 serial number maybe they can give you a rebate?
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

jjj

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4705
    • http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:22 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I installed the LR3 Beta 1 and Beta 2 before the final version came out and had no problems running LR2 and LR3 - although they can't be run at the same time.
You can run them both at the same time. What you cannot do is have two versions/copies of LR open the same catalogue.
Logged
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:41:36 am »

Quote from: jjj
You can run them both at the same time. What you cannot do is have two versions/copies of LR open the same catalogue.

Which brings up another question. (Sorry no intent to hijack the thread.)
I was thinking of adding 2 iMac's in my gallery for my workshops.
Both with CS5 and LR3 installed.
Only loading images for the students to work on,no catalogs.
Will the 3 computers with the above mentioned programs work at the same time? My Mac Pro and the 2 iMac's.
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

BobFisher

  • Guest
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 01:16:48 pm »

LR doesn't install over an older version.  It's a separate install.  The previous version will still be available on your system.  The 'upgrade' is only related to pricing.  It's not like upgrading your OS.

That said, if they can exchange and get you the upgrade pricing, that'd be good.
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Not quite an upgrade
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:29:13 pm »

Quote from: jjj
You can run them both at the same time. What you cannot do is have two versions/copies of LR open the same catalogue.
On the Mac, maybe, but not in Windows.  I have LR3 and LR2.7 running under Windows 7.  Obviously one is a LR3 catalog, and the other opens an LR2 catalog.  If I start LR3 and then try to open LR2, it won't start.  Ditto the reverse.  If I open LR2 then minimize it and go to open LR3, it simply pops up the LR2 program again.  It's always been like that for me.

Mike.

My apologies  for getting away from the original question!
Logged
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up