Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone used an iphone or ipad to accept for credit card processing?  (Read 20058 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com

This is starting to be an option offered by some credit card processors. While it has been offered only recently, it’s already had an impact on current wireless credit card processor hardware vendors – namely that they have dropped their prices.

Anywho, one group I spoke with said that the iphone/ipad options don’t print a receipt and instead send it by email. With them if you want to provide a paper receipt, you need to carry an card imprinter.

Anyone worked with an iphone/ipad for this purpose?

TIA

Dennis Carbo

Re: Anyone used an iphone or ipad to accept for credit card processing?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:16:54 pm »

Hi Justan,

I use gopayments from intuit on my iphone....love it ..fast easy and imports into quickbooks

regards,

Dennis

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:38 pm »

I use the system from squareup.com on an iPhone.  I print my usual invoice on paper and mark how it is was paid if credit card was used.  I simply process the squareup transaction as payment for my invoice number xxx.  I've only been using this system for about a month.  Works like a charm.  Previously had used PayPal Payments Pro and Virtual Terminal for a couple of years.  Worked fine... no complaints but the squareup/iphone system is way more convenient and quite a bit less expensive for the relatively small volume I handle.

Bob Smith

mobland

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:26:26 pm »

There's a great one i use, called PhoneSwipe. Its really easy to use and the rates are comparable, if not better than Squares!

PhoneSwipe

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:48:10 am »

Been using Square on Iphone.  No problems.  Told my c/c company and all their fees to take a long walk off a short pier.
CMurph

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 06:27:59 pm »

Another satisfied Square customer here.  No complaints.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:18:10 pm »

+1 to Square - love it!

Craig Murphy

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:35:32 am »

Had a c/c processing saleswoman talking to me yesterday.  Seems that many of these processors are now offering a phone swipe only option.  You don't have to rent a terminal.  This company had a $10 a month fee for the 'handling' and a take percentage of 1.49 or 1.69% depending on swipe or keyed in.  Legislation coming from Congress due in October is forcing the c/c companies to lower their fees to the c/c processing companies.  So.  According to this girl, her company in October is lowering their rate to 1.19% for swipe or keyed in.  Now that is a pretty good deal that starts to make Squares percentages look not so good even with the $10 a month fee.    
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:37:56 am by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:58:36 am »

Be sure to ask them about additional fees for cards with bonus miles or other rewards programs.  That is a hidden charge that companies that offer low rates usually fail to mention.  Most cards are part of some type of rewards program now, and a lot of processors to get sneaky additional fees tacked on to your bill for handling those cards.   Square is a single tier program, except for card not present transactions.
-Ron H.

Craig Murphy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:51 pm »

That is interesting.  Because you swipe someones card that happens to have a rewards program they are going to charge you some sort of fee?  I don't get how that would work. How a vendor could get caught up in a customers card deal.  How you could wind up paying a price because Master Card decided to have a rewards program.  
CMurph

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 01:02:23 pm »

I found out when I started researching the "low cost" program being advertised by Costco.  I researched the deal, and found out that it was tied to many strings and caveats, including higher rates for rewards program cards.  MasterCard and Visa know what is being tied to each card, so they let the processing company know which card has what type of baggage.  Who knows what sort of back room deal the various companies have with each other for these, but I know that the extra fees are something that some processors levy the vendor for, whether the processor actually pays additional fees or not.
-Ron H.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 04:04:49 am »

I use Square for the iPhone and it works great.  Really handy as many of my private guided clients want to pay with a credit card and it was always frustrating prior to Square because they'd have to go through PayPal.  Never had any issues w/ Square, either.  Good service.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 05:12:42 pm »

I used one of these services once as a paying customer and I was extremely uncomfortable about it. What assurance does the customer have that the phone is running legitimate software and is not just cloning the card and storing your PIN?

RFPhotography

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:34 pm »

That is interesting.  Because you swipe someones card that happens to have a rewards program they are going to charge you some sort of fee?  I don't get how that would work. How a vendor could get caught up in a customers card deal.  How you could wind up paying a price because Master Card decided to have a rewards program.  

It's to cover the costs associated with offering the rewards programs.  Why do you think there's a higher annual fee on, for example, a gold card vs. a standard card?  It's because the benefits of the gold card have costs that need to be recovered.  You don't actually think the banks are giving you something for nothing, do you?   ;D

It's not a lot different from the difference in cost between keyed and swiped transactions.  Keyed transactions are more manual and more prone to error.  Those things have costs. 

@Graham, do you ever use your credit or debit card at a gas station?  Those have historically been some of the worst places for fraud.  At the end of the day if you're not comfortable, don't use the card.  It's your choice. 

As NFC technology becomes more widespread and as the technology continues to improve, it won't be long before there will need to be no swiping or keying of cards.  Just wave the phones near each other and payment's done. 

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:18:13 pm »

@Graham, do you ever use your credit or debit card at a gas station?  Those have historically been some of the worst places for fraud.  At the end of the day if you're not comfortable, don't use the card.  It's your choice.

Gas stations? I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Maybe I'm not making myself clear. Next time someone offers to let you pay for something on the spot by iPad, ask yourself how you can be sure the iPad isn't running scam software? If it hasn't happened already it soon will.

I'm comfortable using a card in a machine which would be very difficult to fake or hack (although people have been known to manufacture an entire fake ATM to get people to enter their cards and PINs). My point is that someone could release some software to turn any mobile phone or iPad into a cloning station. That could lead to huge implications almost overnight.

As NFC technology becomes more widespread and as the technology continues to improve, it won't be long before there will need to be no swiping or keying of cards.  Just wave the phones near each other and payment's done. 

I certainly hope that never happens. Without some input from the customer, it could be anyone's phone. That would give an enormous incentive to phone thieves.

riddell

• Pro photographer Hertfordshire
    • Commercial photographer London / Hertfordshire
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »

Sorry, but there is no way I would give my credit card details to anyone using an iphone or ipad etc. I don't like the idea of the lack of security. Even if you are a genuine person its way to easy on those things to get a rogue app capturing data.

On top of that in my opinion it doesn't look very professional. Its like using Paypal.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 11:20:41 am »

I use Square for the iPhone and it works great.  Really handy as many of my private guided clients want to pay with a credit card and it was always frustrating prior to Square because they'd have to go through PayPal.  Never had any issues w/ Square, either.  Good service.

One advantage square has over paypal is that they take corporate amex cards.

ghaynes754

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:04:03 pm »

I"m a Square user and dropped my previous wireless terminal when the fees became STUPID.  Don't fall for the low ball 1.XX% stuff.  When you add up all of the other charges, fees, PCI compliance, reward card uplift everyone I have talked with has personally been paying more than Square.  (BTW the Square is US only).  For those of you worried about skimming any device can skim your number, whether it is an iPad or the wireless terminal they bring to your table in Europe.  Hand your card to someone else and the opportunity is there.  Don't like it, pay cash.

Good site for comparisons and lots of information is www.feefighters.com.  They have a comparison calculator for Square vs other processors.  There is a point in total volume where it may make sense to change to a more traditional processor but your volume and card mix will determine where that is.  For me it was charges running $8K per month or more.

fluidasfire

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 02:35:19 am »

I use intuit (like square), and it's great.  I understand some of the concerns with processing cards through the iphone or other mobile defice.  Before this the affordable option for mobile businesses was the old fashioned knuckle buster, and then go home and process through the computer, which I think is just as unsafe if not more so. First you are still processing through a computer but you also have a hard copy of the customers CC#, along with their name address and phone number, as well as 3 digit security code, and expiration date.  And to avoid charge backs you need to hold onto this slip for at least 6 months.  To me that is much more unsafe.  If a customer is completely against me processing with my phone I'll do so manually, but so far my customers think it's great.

Aundrea
Pages: [1]   Go Up