Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cameras,  (Read 2122 times)

Rob C

Cameras,
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:07:14 pm »

I was wondering to myself, as I attempted to avoid consiousness of washing the dishes, whether current digital cameras are equipped with any security devices that can disable them and render them useless to thieves. You know, like the simple code your mobile 'phone employs. And if not, why in hell not?

This came about - the thought - as I was musing about taking myself off for a week or so's drive in France towards the end of September, and I realised that my insurance for cameras is only valid whilst they are in the house, just as is the one for the watch etc. I'm with Liberty, not exactly a tiny business, but one that is certainly averse to offering cover where you are likely to actually find yourself needing it, and I wonder whether anyone here can recommend an insurance company in Spain that thinks otherwise.

I have a gripe with Zurich Insurance as well: the cars have all been through them since '81, a pile of bucks that would easily have bought at least one nice new car over the years, but they still seem to be quite cavalier in their attitude to the customer (me). For example, when I pay the agent, I no longer get a proper certificate with the Zurich name, logo etc. that at least looks official; I have been told that these are no longer being issued, and that I must carry the receipt from the bank instead - in other words, if I do take the car abroad, then in the case of being challenged I must hope that the fuzz speak/read Spanish and are willing and able to accept a bank statement as proof that a car insurance has, indeed, been paid. In Britain? In France? Yeah, right.

I have sometimes thought about internet insurance companies - always felt a bit odd about that - whose office door do you open when things go wrong?

Worried,

Mallorca - Spain
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:08:38 pm by Rob C »

fredjeang

Cameras,
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I was wondering to myself, as I attempted to avoid consiousness of washing the dishes, whether current digital cameras are equipped with any security devices that can disable them and render them useless to thieves. You know, like the simple code your mobile 'phone employs. And if not, why in hell not?

This came about - the thought - as I was musing about taking myself off for a week or so's drive in France towards the end of September, and I realised that my insurance for cameras is only valid whilst they are in the house, just as is the one for the watch etc. I'm with Liberty, not exactly a tiny business, but one that is certainly averse to offering cover where you are likely to actually find yourself needing it, and I wonder whether anyone here can recommend an insurance company in Spain that thinks otherwise.

I have a gripe with Zurich Insurance as well: the cars have all been through them since '81, a pile of bucks that would easily have bought at least one nice new car over the years, but they still seem to be quite cavalier in their attitude to the customer (me). For example, when I pay the agent, I no longer get a proper certificate with the Zurich name, logo etc. that at least looks official; I have been told that these are no longer being issued, and that I must carry the receipt from the bank instead - in other words, if I do take the car abroad, then in the case of being challenged I must hope that the fuzz speak/read Spanish and are willing and able to accept a bank statement as proof that a car insurance has, indeed, been paid. In Britain? In France? Yeah, right.

I have sometimes thought about internet insurance companies - always felt a bit odd about that - whose office door do you open when things go wrong?

Worried,

Mallorca - Spain
Rob, I might be arround La Rochelle or Bordeaux end of sept!
Ready for a swim in the atlantic ocean?

schrodingerscat

Cameras,
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »

Rob -

Check out safeware.com., not sure if they're international or not. There may be a similar outfit on your side of the pond.

Rob C

Cameras,
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »

I've checked out safeware and sent them an inquiry - we shall see what happens.

Thanks -

Rob C

Rob C

Cameras,
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Rob, I might be arround La Rochelle or Bordeaux end of sept!
Ready for a swim in the atlantic ocean?

Fred, in recent years I've kept myself out of the Mediterranean as long as possible - the Atlantic would kill me.

My wife and I were heading for Bordeaux once and decided to peel away and ended up at Chenonceau instead. It would have been better continuing to the coast as planned. I love fish. Oddly, for a place on the sea, fish is very expensive on this island. But then, so is everything else.

Actually, if I do go in September, I'm thinking of trying out the stretch of coast in the Sète area. However, knowing myself too well, by the time I make it near Narbonne I might just as easily end up heading for the Dordogne again because I know how lovely it is. Also, I guess that one Med coast is going to be pretty much like another in most ways - might be crazy spending time doing much what I can do at home in a different language. The only thing I know for sure is that winter sports zones are out!

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:18:15 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

Cameras,
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:41:47 pm »

An e-mail came in from safeware regarding insurance - they don't cover Spain right now...

Worth a try, anyhow.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up