Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon camera of the future  (Read 4700 times)

wtlloyd

Canon camera of the future
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:06 am »

Here's a glossy tech demo for a future consumer camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Vkws4AgR8...player_embedded

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »

I endured through several minutes of droning digressions, wild speculation and uncritical adulation. What the narrator describes is a camera which has "everything in focus." We already have that, they're called point&shoots. The camera also has face recognition of multiple faces simultaneously, and smile detection. We already have that, they're called point&shoots.

So it's a mock tech demo for a funky-looking multi-hundred megapixel wondercamera which ignores the laws of physics, with features from 2007.

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »

Quote from: feppe
I endured through several minutes of droning digressions, wild speculation and uncritical adulation. What the narrator describes is a camera which has "everything in focus." We already have that, they're called point&shoots. The camera also has face recognition of multiple faces simultaneously, and smile detection. We already have that, they're called point&shoots.

So it's a mock tech demo for a funky-looking multi-hundred megapixel wondercamera which ignores the laws of physics, with features from 2007.
Feppe, the time when we'll have some auto-device to hang our .... when we go to pee is not that far.
And who's gona have the copyrights? The photographer, or the gear  that thinks for him.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Feppe, the time when we'll have some auto-device to hang our .... when we go to pee is not that far.
And who's gona have the copyrights? The photographer, or the gear  that thinks for him.

Oh you're gonna love these: no need to trip the shutter with this tech from 2007. And perfected in 2009.

A good reason to never ever use rule-of-thirds again. My horizons will be right in middle of the frame, thank you very much.

Now add sunset detection to those cameras, combined with jack-up-everything-up-to-11 in LR or PS, who even needs the photographer?

LKaven

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:01:30 am »

But but...“Party-shot captures candid moments that tell natural life stories and also offers a new style of photography that enriches time with your family and friends.”

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:03:30 am »

The video is drier than an NPR program. Anyway, I guess that once this Wonder Camera is released, all I need to do is capture an image and then sit back and a magic rope will appear from the sky, I will pull this rope and money will fall from the sky. I will be able to pull whatever detail from the image, crop and have perfect exposure from any point in the image plus have video. I admit to being more than a little cynical when it comes to a product promising to be all things to all people. Next thing you know, Apple will be telling us that the iPhone will have broadcast quality video, capture 21MP RAW files and perfect phone reception anywhere in the world.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:40:49 pm »

Quote from: feppe

I didn't bother watching the video, but regarding ignoring the laws of physics and everything in focus, research in non optical imaging systems using electromagnetic imagers (no glass) allows for nearly perfect capture of incoming electromagnetic energy (light), with 100% of everything in perfect focus and no diffraction limitations.

Whether this can be done in an affordable and transportable system remains to be seen ... but the idea is intriguing.

tokengirl

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I didn't bother watching the video, but regarding ignoring the laws of physics and everything in focus, research in non optical imaging systems using electromagnetic imagers (no glass) allows for nearly perfect capture of incoming electromagnetic energy (light), with 100% of everything in perfect focus and no diffraction limitations.

Whether this can be done in an affordable and transportable system remains to be seen ... but the idea is intriguing.

Yes it can be done in an affordable and transportable system.  I am building one right now.  It has a pinhole instead of an electromagnetic imager.  

LKaven

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:54 pm »

Quote from: tokengirl
Yes it can be done in an affordable and transportable system.  I am building one right now.  It has a pinhole instead of an electromagnetic imager.  
Good for action-stopping photos...the action of grass growing and tectonic plates moving.  Hmmm...I do wonder how quickly you could get an exposure at ISO 12800.

Statistician

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 04:10:43 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox

Lots of things can be done with optical systems if one samples the whole light field. Here is a place to start
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcame...mera-150dpi.pdf

Some more recent reports:

1. Park, JH; Hong, K; Lee, B
    Recent progress in three-dimensional information processing based on integral imaging
    APPLIED OPTICS, 48 (34): H77-H94 DEC 1 2009

2. Levoy, M; Zhang, Z; Mcdowall, I
    Recording and controlling the 4D light field in a microscope using microlens arrays
    JOURNAL OF MICROSCOPY-OXFORD, 235 (2): 144-162 AUG 2009

3. Brady, DJ; Hagen, N
    Multiscale lens design
    OPTICS EXPRESS, 17 (13): 10659-10674 JUN 22 2009

4. Raskar, R; Agrawal, A; Wilson, CA; et al.
    Glare aware photography: 4D ray sampling for reducing glare effects of camera lenses
    ACM TRANSACTIONS ON GRAPHICS, 27 (3): Art. No. 56 AUG 2008

5. Fuchs, C; Heinz, M; Levoy, M; et al.
    Combining confocal imaging and descattering
    COMPUTER GRAPHICS FORUM, 27 (4): 1245-1253 JUN 2008

6. Levin, A; Fergus, R; Durand, F; et al.
    Image and depth from a conventional camera with a coded aperture
    ACM TRANSACTIONS ON GRAPHICS, 26 (3): Art. No. 70 JUL 2007

Pages: [1]   Go Up