Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a wagner, need some help  (Read 2091 times)

natas

Got a wagner, need some help
« on: June 30, 2010, 08:52:12 pm »

Hey guys,
So I got the new Wagner control spray plus today and tried it out on some canvas that were not up to par. I am using glamour ii. I tried 3 canvases and each one did not turn out well. It seems as through I put to much on. This new gun supposedly has more control.

I had the sprayer set to barely shoot any volume but am not sure how wide i need to make my pattern. Supposedly yup can control it from 1 inch to 12. What should i set it to if spraying at 9 inches or so? I tried it at the lowest setting which seemed to make it shoot a smaller pattern but way to thick. The other mystery to me is where or how is this 1 to 12 inches calculated? Is this e assumed diameter at 12 inches from he gun.

When i get a good spray down should i expect a milky orange peel look or something way more smooth?

Roscolo

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:33:38 am »

Spraying the rosco coating, with my canvas taped to a piece of foam core only slightly angled up from being parallel to the floor, I held the Wagner gun with the tip anywhere from approximately 12-18 inches from the canvas. I adjust the sprayer so that the least amount of coating possible comes out, and then even that is a little heavy, so I just lay off the trigger to get the right amount. I think you need to develop a good control of trigger tension to use the Wagner. Or if you want to spray heavier, I suppose you can just move the gun faster. I didn't find any problems spraying with different shape patterns, although I settled on adjusting it so that I had what appeared to be a pretty good circle of spray just test spraying onto a piece of cardboard. With the rosco coating, even my first canvas that wasn't sprayed exactly even turned out great once it dried. Can't speak to the Glamour product in this regard.

natas

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:36 am »

Quote from: Roscolo
Spraying the rosco coating, with my canvas taped to a piece of foam core only slightly angled up from being parallel to the floor, I held the Wagner gun with the tip anywhere from approximately 12-18 inches from the canvas. I adjust the sprayer so that the least amount of coating possible comes out, and then even that is a little heavy, so I just lay off the trigger to get the right amount. I think you need to develop a good control of trigger tension to use the Wagner. Or if you want to spray heavier, I suppose you can just move the gun faster. I didn't find any problems spraying with different shape patterns, although I settled on adjusting it so that I had what appeared to be a pretty good circle of spray just test spraying onto a piece of cardboard. With the rosco coating, even my first canvas that wasn't sprayed exactly even turned out great once it dried. Can't speak to the Glamour product in this regard.

So you use the circle pattern? I need to try that, I was going with the horizontal and spraying against a wall (canvas taped to a makeshift setup)

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:59 am »

Quote from: natas
So you use the circle pattern? I need to try that, I was going with the horizontal and spraying against a wall (canvas taped to a makeshift setup)

Circle worked best for me. I had to lay my prints down because the rosco glaze is pretty thin (instructions tell you to cut it 1:1 with water) and I think it would run if I had it vertical. Might be why all of mine turned out so good - it was able to pretty well level out even if I hit it a little heavy in some spots on my first ones. My very first test spray on a bad print had several runs in it, but when it dried one almost can't see the runs, so it's very forgiving.

After a few prints you'll probably have it figured out.

natas

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
Circle worked best for me. I had to lay my prints down because the rosco glaze is pretty thin (instructions tell you to cut it 1:1 with water) and I think it would run if I had it vertical. Might be why all of mine turned out so good - it was able to pretty well level out even if I hit it a little heavy in some spots on my first ones. My very first test spray on a bad print had several runs in it, but when it dried one almost can't see the runs, so it's very forgiving.

After a few prints you'll probably have it figured out.

So are you laying it completely flat? Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:01:09 pm »

Quote from: natas
So are you laying it completely flat? Would you mind posting a picture of your setup?

I don't have it set up now, but I took the plastic stoppers that are in the tubes of your paper rolls and put 3 of those in a row on the floor. I taped the canvas print(s) to a 32x40 sheet of foam core with duct tape. Then I placed the sheet of foam core so the plastic stoppers held one end up off the floor 2-3 inches at a slight incline. For all intents and purposes I could have just laid it flat. I was worried about drips from the Wagner based on what someone else wrote here somewhere, but I did not have s single drip from the Wagner, so you can do what I do or just lay it flat. Definitely want those edges and corners taped down good because the air from the Wagner will blow it around otherwise. The slight angle probably helps you work around a larger canvas, though.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 04:29:27 pm »

I use the Wagner with Glamour also.  Do the same thing.  Prop it up at an angle on the floor and secure it so as not to get air underneath.  You have to watch it between coats for any little blobs that might come out.  Just use a pin or something to lift them off.  Can do that with dust also.  Blobs might come out because of the time between coats that lets the Glamour dry a little inside the nozzle.  Been wrapping with a damp cloth in between coats to help prevent that.    I usually move it to a lit flat surface for a close look between coats.  Seems pretty hard to really screw it up as Glamour II  evens out nicely.
CMurph

mburke

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 08:29:19 am »

This may be a little off topic but does anyone spray anything besides canvas? I was thinking of framing some longer panos printed on bayarta or matte or watercolor paper and framing without glass because of the weight and cost. I was wondering what kind of success anyone has had in spraying the above papers. TIA

Mike

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:26:37 am »

Quote from: mburke
This may be a little off topic but does anyone spray anything besides canvas? I was thinking of framing some longer panos printed on bayarta or matte or watercolor paper and framing without glass because of the weight and cost. I was wondering what kind of success anyone has had in spraying the above papers. TIA

Mike

Mike,
Have sprayed Epson Premium Luster,Moab Entrada Rag and several metal prints. All with Clearstar FA.
Actually works quite well. I have used the 12 oz. cans and also by the gal. through my Binks HVLP gun and SG2 pressure pot.
I like everything about it except its price. At $100 a gal. I only use it to demonstrate spraying a solvent based finishes at my workshops.
On the matte paper you can go with several light coats. You get protection and maintain the texture and finish of the paper. Apply 3 or 4 coats to the same paper and you have a nice semigloss finish with a little bit of the texture still showing through. Buy a can or two from Shades of Paper and give it a shot.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:19:45 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up