Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: raw NEF images in Lightroom  (Read 3227 times)

DeanSonneborn

raw NEF images in Lightroom
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »

I just got a new-to-me DSLR and shot some raw images and some JPG images. When I imported them into LR 2.7 I see the JPGs that I just imported just as I use to see when I imported from my point and shoot but I don't see the NEF images. When I tried to re-import them LR states the NEFs are in the catalog and so won't re-import them. But I just can not locate the NEF images. I had all the files in 1 directory and selected to import all the images in that directory and got all the JPGs, just like I always do. But the NEF are a bit of a mystery. What is LR doing with them? Why are they not located in the same LR directory as the JPGs?

Peter Stacey

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:50:21 am »

It's possible that each jpeg and NEF pair is stacked together.

If you right click (or cmd click) on one of the images, under 'stacking' you should be able to select 'expand stack' or 'expand all stacks' and then you'll see all the photos. To remove the stacking all together, select 'unstack'.

If you want to change your preferences so that the NEF and jpegs aren't stacked at import, under 'edit -> preferences', select 'treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate photos'.

Regards,

Peter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:27:44 am by Peter Stacey »
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:23:15 am »

How did you download them.  Nikon has a " feature" built into the camera system.  If you shoot raw and jpeg which I do and download them directly from the camera, the NEF's for some reason cannot be seen.  There are discussions of this in various forums.  The lightroom 3 beta did not have this problem nor does downloading the images with a Card reader.  This has happened to me before so as I refuse to use Nikon viewer to download images, the cards do to a dedicated card reader and the problem is solved.

DeanSonneborn

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:27:21 am »

I took 2 images: just a JPEG or just a RAW. I did use ViewNX to move them from the camra to the computer. The computer has the NEF files in the directory just like the JPG files. I was just expecting LR would also have them sitting right nest to the JPGs. I did use Bridge and opened them into Camera Raw, adjusted and then opened in CS4 and saved. I also downloaded the demo of Capture One and Nikon's Capture NX2 so I have several avenues to explore. But I had been thinking that I would be able to do the whole work flow in LR and don't want to give up on LR until I really explore using it with RAW images. I also used ViewNX to adjust the RAW files but it seems very slow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up