Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust on the sensor?  (Read 3047 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Dust on the sensor?
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »

Hi,

I just wonder if those folks using prime lenses mostly don't get problems with dust on sensor? Especially with the M9 which doesn't have sensor cleaning.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:49 am »

Erik,

Some zooms can be dust pumps as well  , and it's more a function of the environment, care and switching frequency of your lenses than a question of zoom vs. prime.  

Also the effectiveness of my dust shaking sensors is not 100%, and I still have to resort to an arctic butterfly every 1-3 month and sometimes even a wet cleaning. I also clean more often in the "macro season", not so much because of more dust or lens switches, but because I use smaller apertures more often.  
pieter, aka pegelli

alanscape

Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:30:28 pm »

Quote from: pegelli
Erik,

Some zooms can be dust pumps as well  , and it's more a function of the environment, care and switching frequency of your lenses than a question of zoom vs. prime.  

Also the effectiveness of my dust shaking sensors is not 100%, and I still have to resort to an arctic butterfly every 1-3 month and sometimes even a wet cleaning. I also clean more often in the "macro season", not so much because of more dust or lens switches, but because I use smaller apertures more often.  

I quite agree, my friend always laughs at me for cleaning the inside of the rear cap and the back of the lens before changing lenses, periodically with a dab of anti-static. This comes from ny old Sony a100 days when the dust removal system left something to be desired... but it's not a bad habit to get into, it gets a laugh anyway.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 03:49:12 pm »

Hi,

I presume that with primes I would switch more often. I'd say that dust is a problem, manageable, but barely. This long I could do with just arctic butterfly. I don't really want to wet clean my sensor because I don't want to apply any pressure to the sensor because of the antishake mechanism.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: pegelli
Erik,

Erik Kaffehr

250swb

Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:04:54 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I just wonder if those folks using prime lenses mostly don't get problems with dust on sensor? Especially with the M9 which doesn't have sensor cleaning.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr

I just clean the sensor from time to time, it isn't difficult or I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd have thought that a zoom pumping air in and out of the lens and into the shutter box would be a bigger problem than using a prime though.

Steve

CodyGantz

Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 03:38:28 am »

Do you all like the Visible Dust brushes? are there others that you use as well?  What's the main thing to look for in a sensor brush? anti-static, hair density, etc.?

250swb

Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 03:34:07 am »

I like Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly brush, and a wet cleaning system for sticky dust and oil.

Dust does seem to settle down in most cameras after they have been given some use. I guess the mechanical parts have bedded in and any surface coatings have either polished up or worn off. So after this initial period of heavier cleaning , and when any oil has finished splashing on the sensor, the Arctic Butterfly brush can be used on its own for a quick clean any time you like.

The ones I don't like are the sticky pads. They work very well when they work. But from time to time and without warning the glue that is used to remove dust from the silicone pad can get transfered to the sensor, and thats a bigger cleanup job.

Steve

Peter Barnes

• Peter Barnes photographer
Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:30:57 am »

Erik, when I shifted from using a zoom to primes only on my Pentax K10Ds I got no more dust on my sensor - well, no dust that stuck after the sensor shake that the camera can be set to give every time it is turned on.  And I change lenses in all sorts of dirty environments - including beaches in strong winds, and my house which we share with one teenager, two cats and two dogs.  I just make sure the camera is face down for the brief time there is no lens or body cap attached.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:32:04 am by PeterBarnes »
Peter Barnes

DaveL

• http://
Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 03:13:33 pm »

Appreciate your posts here; my G9 had dust on the sensor. I didn't expect that.
DaveL

madmanchan

• Web
Dust on the sensor?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »

You can get dust with the extended focusing mechanisms of some prime lenses, too. I actually get a reasonable amount of dust on my 5D II even though it has the auto sensor cleaning mode. So I still need to do an Arctic Butterfly treatment plus the occasional (admittedly rare) wet clean.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up