Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reinstalling EOS Utility software  (Read 2614 times)

walter.sk

Reinstalling EOS Utility software
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:04:54 pm »

After upgrading from WinXP to Windows 7 64-bit, I had not reinstalled the software for my Canon 1DMkii until today.  Wanting to do some tethered shooting, I downloaded the most recent software from the Canon website.
I started by installing from the original CD that came with the camera, and was able to have the camera recognized by DPP and the EOS Viewer.

Since there was change to the EOS Utility, I then tried installing the most recent Canon stuff, which asked for the original CD.  The old software got uninstalled, and I then installed the newer  software.  However, when asked to close the setup program and connect the camera, nothing happened and the camera was not recognized.  Using Devices and Printers I was able to get Windows to recognize the camera but it said I needed the WIA driver installed (it already was).

I uninstalled everything and started over but could never get the camera to be recognized by the Canon software.  I followed the procedures in the Canon software manual and did the troubleshooting they recommended, all to no avail.

Any ideas of how to proceed from here?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:05:48 pm by walter.sk »

daws

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Windows 7 64-bit, where the Motto is"We'll Driver You to Drink!"

Joking aside, I'm also slogging through the migration from XP Pro to a new Win7/64 machine. Although I can offer you no firsthand advice installing the EOS utils (I'm still trying to get my *%#*!! scanner drivers updated), if I were in your situation I'd first manually create a restore point (S.O.P. before installing anything on Win7/64), then try installing the EOS software as Administrator. If that failed (and I'd be prepared for it to fail, or at minimum to create a conflict with another driver), I'd try to contact Canon for updated software (expecting there'd be none), while simultaneously Googling to see who else was having the same issue. And of course, posting here on LL.

Good luck. Those of us who are about to follow in your blood-soaked footsteps salute you.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:37:43 am »

Quote from: daws
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Windows 7 64-bit, where the Motto is"We'll Driver You to Drink!"

Joking aside, I'm also slogging through the migration from XP Pro to a new Win7/64 machine. Although I can offer you no firsthand advice installing the EOS utils (I'm still trying to get my *%#*!! scanner drivers updated), if I were in your situation I'd first manually create a restore point (S.O.P. before installing anything on Win7/64), then try installing the EOS software as Administrator. If that failed (and I'd be prepared for it to fail, or at minimum to create a conflict with another driver), I'd try to contact Canon for updated software (expecting there'd be none), while simultaneously Googling to see who else was having the same issue. And of course, posting here on LL.

Good luck. Those of us who are about to follow in your blood-soaked footsteps salute you.
I will keep on trying.  Concerning your scanner, I had the problem of Epson not writing a Win7 driver for the model.  I found a publisher named Hamrick, with a product called VueScan.  The publisher has written drivers for many "legacy" scanners and other peripherals that way surpass the scanner manufacturer's drivers.

While I don't have the link handy, Google Hamrick and/or VueScan and I'm sure you'll find it.

daws

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:13:40 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I will keep on trying.  Concerning your scanner, I had the problem of Epson not writing a Win7 driver for the model.  I found a publisher named Hamrick, with a product called VueScan.  The publisher has written drivers for many "legacy" scanners and other peripherals that way surpass the scanner manufacturer's drivers.

While I don't have the link handy, Google Hamrick and/or VueScan and I'm sure you'll find it.
Thanks Walter, I'll check it out.

ReggieBurris

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »

Quote from: daws
Thanks Walter, I'll check it out.

Try this link: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...d=7-10048-10537

I had to update my Digital Photo Professional component of the software and this link or rather the directions given allowed me to update my existing software.
1D3, 5D2, 7D
16-35, 24-70, 70-200 all f2.8
300mm f4, 100mm 2.8 Macro
Pages: [1]   Go Up