Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: L-L Guide to Capture One 5 Pro  (Read 31359 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
L-L Guide to Capture One 5 Pro
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 11:53:39 am »

just wondering how relevant this guide will be for me having just bought Capture One 5, not the 'pro' version...

I did go through the C1 to C1 pro differences list...some major things not included C1 5 are the styles tool, rgb levels and curves, lens correction, dust spots, and customizing the work space...

my primary conversion and pp tools are lightroom 3 and CS5...but on certain images I like to do versions using alternate converters for my nef files...I use Raw Photo Processor and also, now, C1...tried the trial and I liked the way it handles nef files...I only do alternates on important images...i find that for detail, color, etc., they all create different results when they spit them out as tiff or psd's...

anyway, that's my short story...I'm thinking the guide will prove useful, I'm a beginner with C1, so feeling my way around, i do see the phase one site has many videos to look at...I haven't gone through them yet...

thanks

M

AS1

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 10:55:00 pm »

[quote name='tho_mas' date='Jun 16 2010, 06:02 PM' post='371493']
Well, honestly I was expecting some more in depth discoussion of workflow options and especially the interaction of tools/adjustments (like the example of the interaction of inverse color edits and global saturation in one of the last chapters… which I found very good).

I agree; I was disappointed with the tutorial, it seemed to lack the level of detail and depth that the  printing tutorial with Michael and Jeff Schewe had (that was excellent!). In many cases it's a simple overview of the tools in C1, but without enough explanation beyond the basics.

The chapter on B/W is unusual in that there is no information on converting files to b/w, and no information on the C1 profiles.It's really more of a discussion of b/w photography (which is fine but not what the tutorial is supposed to be about). Despite Walters fondness for the color editor, he inadvertently misses one of the pitfalls of using the tool. In correcting a cool color cast in the sample still life image you can clearly see a bottle cap changing in color from blue to black! This is one of the reasons this tool is so difficult to use.... you have to be very careful that the color you're correcting is ONLY in the area you want corrected, and nowhere else in the photograph!
C1 is a fantastic tool, great software, and I can't fault Walters enthusiasm for photography (and C1) but the video is best as a basic introduction.

tho_mas

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

Quote from: AS1
Despite Walters fondness for the color editor, he inadvertently misses one of the pitfalls of using the tool. In correcting a cool color cast in the sample still life image you can clearly see a bottle cap changing in color from blue to black! This is one of the reasons this tool is so difficult to use.... you have to be very careful that the color you're correcting is ONLY in the area you want corrected, and nowhere else in the photograph!
here activating "view selected color range" helps a lot. then fine tune the selected color in the color wheel and/or adjust the "smoothness" of the selected color...

AS1

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 12:39:49 am »

Quote from: tho_mas
here activating "view selected color range" helps a lot. then fine tune the selected color in the color wheel and/or adjust the "smoothness" of the selected color...

I agree... but that's the type of info I was hoping would be in the tutorial!

K.C.

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 02:05:39 pm »

Quote from: Morris Taub
just wondering how relevant this guide will be for me having just bought Capture One 5, not the 'pro' version...

The standard version of C1 5 is missing quite few of the key features of the Pro version.

I recently went to help a friend who was new to C1 5 and had only the standard version. Everything I wanted to show her was missing.

I'd put your $40 towards the pro version and then try Capture U, IMHO.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 08:26:57 am »

Quote from: K.C.
The standard version of C1 5 is missing quite few of the key features of the Pro version.

I recently went to help a friend who was new to C1 5 and had only the standard version. Everything I wanted to show her was missing.

I'd put your $40 towards the pro version and then try Capture U, IMHO.

thanks K.C.

Phil Indeblanc

Re: L-L Guide to Capture One 5 Pro
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 05:19:54 am »

I am the same way...Sessions? Who needs sessions? :-)

One of these days James, I might give in to try...But honestly, if you can give me 3 reasons, It would nudge me a bit.
Here is a breif flow if it helps you apply to my need...

I shoot with computer A... files go to server X.... and I process/edit with computer B. 
How is Sessions going to manage a folder structure I have already setup for 30 to 40 clients with thousands of images that have a paricular role(meaning they are for different publishing reasons, or for web? 

I make the clients folder; CLIENT1(or what ever the name)....Then a CAPTURE folder (contain the raw captures), Then an OUTPUT (C1 processed files) folder.  I make my final edits in Photoshop and place in the EDITS folder. Then I have a JPEG folder for approvals, and a SUBMIT folder for files I intend for clients.

I say this as I am open ears, if anyone has a better flow.

Anyway.  I am glad Michael and team put out a video on C1 ... it was about time, and having your tutorials on other topics Michael, I can't see even the profcient user with even slight curiousity, or even a dark area using C1 go wrong purchasing this instruction. 
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »

I am the same way...Sessions? Who needs sessions? :-)

One of these days James, I might give in to try...But honestly, if you can give me 3 reasons, It would nudge me a bit.
Here is a breif flow if it helps you apply to my need...

I am an amateur, not a commercial photographer, so, obviously, my needs differ from yours.  I like Sessions for the very useful Move To folder, where I place those images which I want to edit, and the Favorites folders that allow me to organize a project by subject, location etc.  Albums can be used in a similar fashion.  I also like having all of the processed images collected in the Output folder, where I can easily find them when I want to open them in Photoshop.  This is certainly not the only possible C1 workflow, but it is one that I find simple and efficient.

Rob
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:59:02 pm by robgo2 »

alain

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 03:32:50 pm »

Hi

How useful is the tutorial when using c1 pro version 6?

Alain

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 04:15:39 pm »

The only way I can honestly answer that is to say that the tutorial still sells and we get v. positive feedback.

Chris

kuau

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 09:59:34 am »

Chris

in regards to the tutorial, which 6.0 features are not covered in the 5.0 tutorial?

Steven

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 11:21:56 pm »

in regards to the tutorial, which 6.0 features are not covered in the 5.0 tutorial?

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/12/01/capture-one-6-ten-best-changes/
http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/12/28/hdr-via-lcc/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

kmeyers

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 01:46:09 am »

I'm new to digital capture. I come from 8x10 and the darkroom where I'm a proficient photographer and printer...

First off, you can spend a fortune on digital capture equipment, software etc.  So far, I would have to say this has been the best $40 dollars I have spent.  If you pick up even a few techniques/uses after watching the videos, wouldn't that be worth it? I have version 6 and the version 5 training gets it done. Thank you Michael and Walter.  I still have a very steep mountain to climb, but you helped get me to base camp.

Ken

jessuca09

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:06 am »

I just purchased the video and watched the first few chapters.  After years, you tend to develop your own workflow, which might not use some good features of C1.  So, its worth the 44 bucks.

cole2010

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:32 am »

I'm unable to download 23, 24, and 25 (Mac).

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »

I'm unable to download 23, 24, and 25 (Mac).
What happens when you try?

BTW, C1_25.zip has nothing in it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up