Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban Landscapes of Dublin, Ireland added to my website  (Read 1953 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Urban Landscapes of Dublin, Ireland added to my website
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »

I took this photo about an hour or 2 after sunrise at the Forty Foot in Dublin, Ireland. It's just beside the James Joyce Martello Tower, where some of James Joyce's Ulysses was set. It's part of a Dublin based project of mine. I would love all feedback good or bad.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »

Well?  I like the movement of the waves over the rocks, but my first thought was that the image is too busy - there are too many elements and my eye doesn't know where to look.  There's the rock wall and the path on the right, but the path leads out of the frame and I wonder where it goes.  There are two cargo ships and the island in the background on the right of the frame, so I stop to wonder about them for a second.  Then there's the pool and the rocks in the middle of the frame, which should be the focal point of the image, so I stop there for a while, wondering about the metal railing and where it leads, but then there's the urban/ industrial landscape on the left.  There's also that shaft of cloud that points down to the left, almost as if it's pointing out something I might have missed.  So in the end my gaze wanders around and around the image with no firm place to settle.

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

seamus finn

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:47:13 pm »

Coming from down the road, as it were, I can see what you're about, but in this case, I think Mike is right. Less is more. By the way, nice website.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 03:13:09 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Well?  I like the movement of the waves over the rocks, but my first thought was that the image is too busy - there are too many elements and my eye doesn't know where to look.  There's the rock wall and the path on the right, but the path leads out of the frame and I wonder where it goes.  There are two cargo ships and the island in the background on the right of the frame, so I stop to wonder about them for a second.  Then there's the pool and the rocks in the middle of the frame, which should be the focal point of the image, so I stop there for a while, wondering about the metal railing and where it leads, but then there's the urban/ industrial landscape on the left.  There's also that shaft of cloud that points down to the left, almost as if it's pointing out something I might have missed.  So in the end my gaze wanders around and around the image with no firm place to settle.

My $0.02

Mike.

Hi Mike
Many thanks for you comments. Not sure where you are coming from with the distractions. I used the rock wall, the concrete path and the foreground to lead your eye to the main focal area, around the steel handrail where the sea is gushing over the rocks where I wanted to have a contrast between the rough hard texture of the rocks and the softness of the water gushing in. I was also using the wall on the right to frame the area of focus. I don't really think they are distractions. The pool is not strong to be the main focal point of the image to be honest. I was using the pier on the left and the headland on the right as a subtle backdrop to compliment the focal area. The cloud you talk about becomes high level haze towards the left of the image. I think if I included more to the left it wouldn't benefit the image really as it would just weaken the composition. I wanted to have a strong graphic composition. Sometimes less is more.  .........at least that's what I was trying to achieve.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »

Quote from: seamus finn
Coming from down the road, as it were, I can see what you're about, but in this case, I think Mike is right. Less is more. By the way, nice website.
Hey a fellow Sligo Man

seamus finn

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:44:45 am »

Small world, smaller country, Enda!!!

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:36 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
...So in the end my gaze wanders around and around the image with no firm place to settle.

Mike.

I don't know... The need -- or OPPORTUNITY -- to "wander around' an image I think is great!  I don't want to be able to grasp, or appreciate, an interesting image right away.  I prefer either some mystery or necessity to spend some time studying and taking it in, or both.  This is perhaps stating a cliche -- but I very much LIKE this photo.  My two-cents, too.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:59:29 pm »

Quote from: JimAscher
I don't know... The need -- or OPPORTUNITY -- to "wander around' an image I think is great!  I don't want to be able to grasp, or appreciate, an interesting image right away.  I prefer either some mystery or necessity to spend some time studying and taking it in, or both.  This is perhaps stating a cliche -- but I very much LIKE this photo.  My two-cents, too.
Thanks very much Jim
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:59:58 pm by Enda Cavanagh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up