Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds3 focusing screen  (Read 3242 times)

timplog

1Ds3 focusing screen
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »

Any of you 1DsMK3 users found a better (for manual focusing) screen than the one that ships with the camera??
Thanks for this great forum!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:39:12 pm »

Quote from: timplog
Any of you 1DsMK3 users found a better (for manual focusing) screen than the one that ships with the camera??

Funny you should ask, I was just yesterday looking at focusing screens for my 550D. KatzEye seems to be premium product, then there's another ingeniously named Focusing Screen.

I would also appreciate some first-hand reports on these - from what I've read elsewhere they are both solid products, but might have problem using them with f/5.6 lenses.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:31:00 pm »

The Ec-S screen provides a much better manual focusing experience *if you are using fast lenses.* It also does a better job of showing actual DOF.

If you are using f/2.8 zooms, it's darker than the standard screen. If you are using anything slower, it's much darker. If you want to focus the f/1.2 and f/1.4 primes, it's great. Otherwise, not so much.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:33:19 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
The Ec-S screen provides a much better manual focusing experience *if you are using fast lenses.* It also does a better job of showing actual DOF.

Fully agree. It makes manual focusing much more accurate, and it adds another visual feedback confirmation with AF. DOF can be seen much more accurately, especially at wider than f/2.8 apertures.

If you are using f/2.8 zooms, it's darker than the standard screen. If you are using anything slower, it's much darker. If you want to focus the f/1.2 and f/1.4 primes, it's great. Otherwise, not so much.

While darker, I also use it to focus my f3.5 TS-E lenses (which really require Live View for tilted focusing anyway).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JonathanBenoit

1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:21:44 am »

From my experience, Maxwell makes the best focusing screens. I'm not sure if he makes them for the 1ds though.

timplog

1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:11:25 am »

thanks all-wonder if Canon's Ec-B split microprism screen has any darkening affect in the viewfinder.
Supposed to be sort of old-school MF standby we used to know.
Also I frequently use the angle finder C.  
I've only got 2.8L zooms-and worse the 100-400L 5.6.
Thanks for your thoughts.

marcmccalmont

1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 01:30:40 am »

I have had very good luck having Bill Maxwell make them for me. I also had a katseye in a Xti that worked well
Call Bill at 404 244 0095, tell him you will order a Canon screen from B&H and have it shipped to him
Then discuss the max aperture of most of your lenses which will determine which coating he puts on the screen.
I also have him put a rule of thirds grid on it. He has probably made half a dozen screens for me. Some times it takes a month or so to get it.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »

Live View?
~ CB

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
1Ds3 focusing screen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:32:11 pm »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
Live View?

Yup - I am using Live View for pretty much 100% of my landscape tripod work - zoomed in 10X its a cinch to get critical focus.

I dont think there is a better way to get critical focus, short of tethering a laptop.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up