Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase 1 Acquires MS Expression Media  (Read 5221 times)

Steve Gordon

Phase 1 Acquires MS Expression Media
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:27 am »

You probably all know this and the fact all C1-5 owners can get a free copy of EM.

Good news that EM has been pulled from Microsoft's grasp. The great potential of this program may continue to be fulfilled now.

Imteresting what the Phase One strategy will be; integration with C1 to rival Lightroom I wonder?

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »

Hello,

I am an EM2 user and hope that phase one keeps the cataloging software separate. I do not like software like LIghtroom etc... I just want to have a simple and powerful catalog program.

Siegfried

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

Quote from: Sigi
Hello,

I am an EM2 user and hope that phase one keeps the cataloging software separate. I do not like software like LIghtroom etc... I just want to have a simple and powerful catalog program.

Siegfried
I'm on the same boat.
I hope Capture One will not do a remake of Lightroom and will keep separe products.
I find the lightroom (to my personal taste) confusing whith all this integration philosophy.

In fact, the fastest and most efficient workflow I've been able to acheive so far is combining C1 or ACR with bridge.
Hassle free.

The web gallery integrated in LR are ok but of course it does not fit professional standart.

I'd like to see some really reduced but powerfull features, an integrated backup system, being able to write scripts etc...
C1 is a professional tool and IMO it has to keep its nature.

If they go Lightroom-style they will enter the consumer market with all these fancy gadgets like the web gallery. No thanks.

Let's see what they will do, but I trust Phase to stay on track.

tived

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:20 pm »

I have been hoping for this for some time now, I had always thought it was the natural thing for P1 to do, and was really surprised to see that MS went ahead and bought it. So I can only say, this news made my day

Henrik

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:02 pm »

Before it was MS Expression Media it was iView. I have a copy of iView on my computer and have been using it for years.

It's just starting to get a bit flaky now but it still works. It was a sad day when Microsoft took it over.

I am just starting to use Bridge now. This is the first stable version of Bridge that I have been able to use.

It's good to see it has a new lease of life as it has been part of my daily workflow for so long.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:42 am »

Microsoft did not do very much making Iview3 better ( the expression 1 is in my view just as good as version 2)
- So I hope C1 will boost its functionality and keep it an elegant easy program to work wth.

I would like it to show previews faster- but do not know if that is possible.
Like others i hope it will stay a separate program. - The Aperture/Lightroom solutions are not for me.
I never know what is stored where with these programs. I am a photoshop user that uses lots of material to make one photo - so then it really does not work.

Pieter Kers
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:57:46 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:41 am »

I'm glad Phase One has acquired the Expressions/iView media catalog software. I lamented the day MS bought it 'cuz of their penchant for making bloatware. My hope is that Phase One will keep it a lean, fast and stable program. I use it to catalog about 5 TB of data, including images, sound files, movie files, PDF files, Illustrator files and InDesign files. It doesn't generate previews from InDesign or Illustrator files, though. In my studio, it's main competition comes from Adobe Bridge, and it'll be good to see what Phase One provides as an alternative.
~ CB

fredjeang

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »

I do not have experience with Expression Media, but Bridge allows a very deep personalization with scripts.
It is true that this is not aimed to the casual user in that sense that it is pretty much heavy having to do some programing, but
for the ones that has the chance to understand Java or has a competent programmer in his/her team, this is trully a powerfull option.

Now, it will be nice if Phase would bring us some customizations directly from the interface without having to know scripts
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:26:13 pm by fredjeang »

James R

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:38:20 am »

I would like to see EM2 have a seamless integration with C1Pro, similar to the Bridge in CS5.
Pages: [1]   Go Up