Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stylus Photo 825: profile questions  (Read 2204 times)

walter.sk

Stylus Photo 825: profile questions
« on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:14 pm »

I consider myself fairly comfortable with color management issues, and have no problems with my NEC3090 and HP Z3100 and CS5.  However, a good friend is just starting out and asked if I could help her get going.  Looking at her equipment I found the following:

A Windows XP machine with Photoshop Elements 7, a Dell very inexpensive LCD monitor, and a printer given to her by another friend: Epson Stylus Photo 825.  These tough economic times have hit her particularly hard and upgrading right now is totally out of the question.

Two days of work and a half bottle of FixYourOwnPrinter's Epson cleaner finally unclogged the heads.  I was able to turn her blue-gray on the monitor to neutral gray with the i1Display2 with an acceptable but not excellent profile using 6500K, 120 cd/m2, and gamma of 2.2.  She shoots Jpegs with a decent Panasonic camera, which she brings into Elements and converts  to Adobe RGB.

I set up the printer driver for Epson Photo Paper Glossy (she has 100-sheet box) and for Color Management>ICM>No Color Management.  Back in Elements I set up the Print Dialog for Photoshop Elements Manages Color, and set up Adobe RGB as the source profile.  For the Printer Profile I looked for something saying Epson Photo Paper Glossy but there was no such paper profile.  I did find e-sRGB, Epson Adobe RGB, and Stylus Photo 825 as choices, and each turned out to be much too blue and much too dark.  I also tried letting the printer manage color, and tried its gamma at 1.8(much too dark) and 2.2(much too light and not enough contrast.)  Although the color was a bit better it was still too blue, and off in other ways.

I tried the Epson website for specific paper profiles for that printer, but found nothing.  I have no idea of what settings to use in this case and she would be happy just to be near the ball park.  

Any thoughts, other than to ditch Elements for Photoshop, and ditch the printer for a new one?

Farmer

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »

If you download the driver from the Epson website and install it then it should install the ICC profiles at the same time.  If it's just the Windows supplied driver then it won't have them.
Phil Brown

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:33 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
If you download the driver from the Epson website and install it then it should install the ICC profiles at the same time.  If it's just the Windows supplied driver then it won't have them.
I did download the drivers from the Epson website.  However, the software that contains the drivers also installs the P.I.M. plugin, but it looks for Elements 3 or Photoshop 5 something, and refuses to finish the installation.  My friend has Elements 7, and the software is not smart enough to find later versions.  Maybe I'll find the unzipped files that have the profiles in some obscure windows temp folder.  I would assume that they would have .icc or.icm as the suffix.

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:01:04 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I did download the drivers from the Epson website.  However, the software that contains the drivers also installs the P.I.M. plugin, but it looks for Elements 3 or Photoshop 5 something, and refuses to finish the installation.  My friend has Elements 7, and the software is not smart enough to find later versions.  Maybe I'll find the unzipped files that have the profiles in some obscure windows temp folder.  I would assume that they would have .icc or.icm as the suffix.

Well, today I installed an old copy of Elements 3 and was able to get the printer's PIM driver installed.  Sure enough, it deposited the individual paper profiles in the Color folder and I was able to get a decent print from Elements 7, disregarding the lack of softproofing, of course.  My friend is very happy that she can now get a decent print to show off her really good eye for photography.
Pages: [1]   Go Up