Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens Profiles in 6.1 beta?  (Read 4403 times)

AFairley

Lens Profiles in 6.1 beta?
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:28 am »

I have figured out how the lens profile selection works in ACR 6.1 beta ("Make" refers to the lens make, not the camera make, go figure), and I guess you have to search and update your profiles via CS5, but why is the profile selection system different in the two? (CS5 = camera make, camera model, lens model;  ACR = lens make, lens model, profile)  Seems unnecessarily confusing.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:54:58 am by AFairley »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:59:11 am »

We felt it was more useful for photographers to be able to select the lens make, model, and profile in the context of Camera Raw. Selecting the camera make & model from a popup is not useful, because in 99% of the cases CR already knows what camera make & model you use. (This is determined by the EXIF data and other metadata, and is shown in the title bar if the dialog is not in fullscreen mode.)

For doing lens corrections, it's more helpful to know which lens is being used (e.g., you could be using a Zeiss or Sigma lens on a Nikon body, or a Canon body -- selecting the camera make & model doesn't help you narrow down which lens is being used).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:00:43 pm by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »

Thanks Eric, I was totally stumped for a bit, but having figured it out, it makes sense.  Though on the Canon/Nikon lenses, doesn't the camera make a difference (assuming you have a single profile for the lens made on a "full frame" body) -- or does ACR take any crop factor into account by reading the Camera body type from the EXIF info?

BTW, thank's for all your work on this, it is an addition to ACR I have wanted for a long time.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:19:38 pm »

Wow. Very happy. Just did some auto correction of my 16-35 shot at 16mm, and it looks great.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:31:11 pm »

Quote from: AFairley
Thanks Eric, I was totally stumped for a bit, but having figured it out, it makes sense.  Though on the Canon/Nikon lenses, doesn't the camera make a difference (assuming you have a single profile for the lens made on a "full frame" body) -- or does ACR take any crop factor into account by reading the Camera body type from the EXIF info?

BTW, thank's for all your work on this, it is an addition to ACR I have wanted for a long time.

Hi AFairley, yes, ACR does take the crop factor into account (reading it from the metadata). Especially with Nikon cameras, there's a wide range of possibilities: e.g., using a 24-70 f/2.8 lens on a FX body, DX body, or in one of the crop modes (e.g., 5:4 crop, 1.2x crop on D3S, etc.). And of course on the Canon side there are 1.0x, 1.3x, and 1.6x bodies. All of this should be properly accounted for automatically.

Our intended workflow is that you just have to click the "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" box and ACR will take care of the dirty little details ...

Eric Chan

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 12:21:33 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
Hi AFairley, yes, ACR does take the crop factor into account (reading it from the metadata). Especially with Nikon cameras, there's a wide range of possibilities: e.g., using a 24-70 f/2.8 lens on a FX body, DX body, or in one of the crop modes (e.g., 5:4 crop, 1.2x crop on D3S, etc.). And of course on the Canon side there are 1.0x, 1.3x, and 1.6x bodies. All of this should be properly accounted for automatically.

Our intended workflow is that you just have to click the "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" box and ACR will take care of the dirty little details ...
Just installed CS5, and down loaded ACR 6.1 Beta. When I open an image then look at "Filter", there is no Lens Correction. What am I missing?
Thanks in advance
Dave

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

You need to be in ACR.  Then select the Lens Correction tab
Pages: [1]   Go Up