Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Cutter suggestion please  (Read 4275 times)

natas

Paper Cutter suggestion please
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »

Hey guys,

I have a dahle 552 that I use for cutting. It does a great job of cutting but I have 3 issues with it.

1) It scratches paper to easy. Maybe it is me, but anytime I cut Ilford Gold Fibre silk with this thing it leaves some scratching on the surface where it holds the paper

2) The metal bar right below the plastic thing that holds the paper down has started to rust. As you can imagine I have cleaned it over and over and Dahle says it is not replaceable.

3) its to small for me now. The 552 worked great for 17 inch prints but I now print 24 inch wide.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

StephenOzcomert

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:31:48 pm »

I like my Rotatrim.  I got it because my last printer was a 24" wide model and I sometimes wanted to cut 36" so I got a 36" rotatrim.  No real issues to report.  It has just worked for me.

natas

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:51 pm »

Quote from: StephenOzcomert
I like my Rotatrim.  I got it because my last printer was a 24" wide model and I sometimes wanted to cut 36" so I got a 36" rotatrim.  No real issues to report.  It has just worked for me.

does it use the same plastic technique to hold the paper down? If so have you noticed it scratching the top of the paper?

Why mine decided to rust is beyond me. I have all sorts of things in the house that are the same metal with 0 rust. I guess the plastic touching the metal caused condensation to do this  $200+ down the toilet

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:24:41 am »

Quote from: natas
does it use the same plastic technique to hold the paper down? If so have you noticed it scratching the top of the paper?

I have a 24" rotatrim and yes, it has the same plastic bar to hold the paper down. The way I avoid scratching is to put a piece of apollo tissue on top of the print before sliding it in for cutting.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

StephenOzcomert

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 02:47:29 am »

Well, I have not cut any of the Ilford GFS as  have never used that paper, so I cannot speak to that.  Have not noticed scratches so far on HP papers or HN PR Baryta, or Canon Bright White Photo satin.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:35 am »

I LOVE my rotatrim.
Although the plastic does not usually scratch the paper, for all my crucial prints I place a piece of release paper on top of the print, just to be safe.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

natas

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:58 am »

Quote from: zachary_goulko
I LOVE my rotatrim.
Although the plastic does not usually scratch the paper, for all my crucial prints I place a piece of release paper on top of the print, just to be safe.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Looks like I may pick up a rotatrim.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:36:54 am »

Quote from: neile
I have a 24" rotatrim and yes, it has the same plastic bar to hold the paper down. The way I avoid scratching is to put a piece of apollo tissue on top of the print before sliding it in for cutting.

Neil

I too have the 24" rotatrim and have had no scratching issues, but Neil's tissue idea (or just a sheet of laser paper) would prevent even the potential. It's an excellent cutter.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:06 am »

Neil

Ditto the Rotatrim -- but.  I have noticed a slight surface scratch or two after trimming soft surface paper like Harman.  Has anybody removed the plastic bar totally and tried that?  I was going to try that next time I needed to trim, but haven't needed to trim a print in quite a while...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:03:41 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:40 am »

I use GFS and need a cutter too.  Does the Rotatrim cut a real clean edge?  Jim

JimGoshorn

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38:22 am »

I am also looking into a trimmer and wonder if rotary cutters are better than the traditional guillotine cutters and why.

Thanks!

Jim

neile

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:43 am »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
I use GFS and need a cutter too. Does the Rotatrim cut a real clean edge? Jim

Yes, it cuts a beautiful edge.
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

neile

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:16 am »

Quote from: JimGoshorn
I am also looking into a trimmer and wonder if rotary cutters are better than the traditional guillotine cutters and why.

There's no comparison between the two, Jim. Rotary cutters don't have a tendancy to bend or push the paper as the blade slices through. I can trim off the finest strip of paper off the edge of a sheet (I'd say 1mm or less) without any effort at all. When I first used one I swear I giggled because it worked so well.

Neil
Neil Enns

natas

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:24 am »

Good news! I spoke with Dahle today and they are going to replace my cutter. They said this should not of happened.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:41 am »

Might also consider the Saunders M3 series trimmers. Same design as the rotatrim but a little cheaper. I've had one of these for several years, bought it back when they were sold under the Kodak brand.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »

I have the Rotatrim M 54" model.

Only recently I noticed large scrape marks that travel in the same direction as the cutting head. A close inspection revealed a gizmo attached to the cutting head to prevent overweight paper from being used, it is basically a metal bar... that has somehow worked its way loose, so it touches and scratches the paper as the head is pulled across.  

Until I have the time to take apart and figure out how to re-mount this gizmo, I'm using a piece of tape to hold it up.

I have scratched several prints from what I thought was sliding the paper under the plastic bar ... I will try the suggestion to use tissue paper, though that might make it difficult to see properly.

GeoffM

• http://
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »

When I first used one I swear I giggled because it worked so well.

Neil

I had to laugh when I read that because I did the very same thing. And then I called the family in to see how cool it was.

They thought I had totally lost my mind. (But it really is that cool!) I know, I know, I need to get out more.    

Geoff

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:29 pm »

My 24" Rotatrim with the dual bars arrived yesterday and it's exceeded my expectations!  Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up