Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead  (Read 5387 times)

whawn

• The Daily Photographâ„¢
Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:15 pm »

The vids for the newly announced Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead have me all excited but so far the pricing seems to be a deep, dark secret.  None of the usual on-line retailers have them, yet.  A few others have but say 'call for details.'  I suppose I could do that, but I hesitate for fear of unleashing sales-call hell upon my head.

While I'm all in favor of what I've seen, price is an issue that cannot be ignored, and the quicker I discover that I can't afford it the sooner I can get on with life.

Anybody know?

\\'alt

Edited to update:  From Wired:

"The PHQ1 and PHQ3 do not yet have prices listed, but I managed to track down details via Twitter: The PHQ 1 will cost $230, and the PHQ3 $290. This fits with the generally reasonable prices of other Induro gear."

This raises the question of quality.  From the vid, I was expecting $500+.  And I understand Induro is sometimes quite good, sometimes not.

One more edit:

Several places, including B&H, now have the PHQ1 at $315 and the PHQ3 at $395, more in keeping with what I figured the price would be.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:41:50 pm by whawn »
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:48 am »

Quote from: whawn
The vids for the newly announced Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead have me all excited but so far the pricing seems to be a deep, dark secret.  None of the usual on-line retailers have them, yet.  A few others have but say 'call for details.'  I suppose I could do that, but I hesitate for fear of unleashing sales-call hell upon my head.
... snip snip...

Several places, including B&H, now have the PHQ1 at $315 and the PHQ3 at $395, more in keeping with what I figured the price would be.

Anybody try this panhead yet.  I am particular interested in it's spherical pano capability compared to say Nodal Ninja or Really Right Stuff pano heads (e.g. ease of use and stability with heavier camera and lenses).

JamiePeters

Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:07:19 am »

I attended a workshop in Curver City with Tim Wolcott as the host.  He has worked with it and helped work with Mac/Induro to help make some parts of it.  He showed us some of the pano's and explained why he shoot the way he shoots and uses it.  I'm surprised he has not posted on it.  But he also has not been on the site lately..  I will send another email to see what his detailed info is on this.  

His pano stitching is amazing and very complex.  JP

OldRoy

• http://
Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:16 am »

Quote from: JamiePeters
I attended a workshop in Curver City with Tim Wolcott as the host.  He has worked with it and helped work with Mac/Induro to help make some parts of it.  He showed us some of the pano's and explained why he shoot the way he shoots and uses it.  I'm surprised he has not posted on it.  But he also has not been on the site lately..  I will send another email to see what his detailed info is on this.  

His pano stitching is amazing and very complex.  JP

This looks like a very well made and useful product: I'd love one, but doubt that I could afford it. It appears to me to be completely useless for VR 360 stitching.
Roy

Mary K

Induro PHQ 5-Way Panhead
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:07:12 pm »

I had a chance to play with the Induro PHQ 5-Way head recently, and have to say that I was disappointed in the build quality.  The bubble levels were very slow to react to movement, and when they did the bubble would jump from one side to the other very quickly.  This made it difficult to center the bubble.  In addition, there were two bubble levels on the same axis, and when one indicated a level position, the other would not.  Hard to know which indicator to believe when this occurs. The head appeared to be very robust, but trying to achieve a level position was exasperating.

That being said, I had access to only one head, and that one may have been defective.  If I could find one that didn't exhibit the above problems I would seriously consider a purchase.

Mary
Mary Konchar
Pages: [1]   Go Up