Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning - Acratech plates and RRS Lever Clamps don't mix  (Read 4564 times)

sydlow

Warning - Acratech plates and RRS Lever Clamps don't mix
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:51:58 am »

Just discovered that the D700 Acratech plate slips in the RRS Lever Clamp. And, so does a lens plate from Acratech.
I do see a general warning on the RRS site that says that only RRS and Wimberley plates are recommended - now I know why!

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:20 pm »

When we were at the RRS facility in San Luis Obispo, I got a demo of this problem.  I thought my Kirk L-bracket would work with the RRS ball head.  But when pushed a bit, while tight, it still slipped.  So I determined that the safe thing to do would be to slowly change out all my non-RRS plates and brackets for similar RRS models.  A financial pain, but not something I have to worry about again.  Now that everything is changed to the RRS system, insecurity caused by poorly matching parts is one thing I don't have to worry about any more.  The guy at RRS said the problem is caused by other manufacturers not having the same manufacturing tolerances as RRS...whatever!

sydlow

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:06 pm »

Quote from: soberle
... slowly change out all my non-RRS plates and brackets for similar RRS models...
Yep - just did the same - luckily I only had two plates.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:41:07 pm »

At one time, RRS had a trade-in policy on plates, don't know if they are still doing that.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:11:02 am »

I understand the problem is the RRS lever clamp. Supposedly the screw clamps are better.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:45 am »

The screw clamp is clearly adjustable, which enables it to deal with plates of slightly different widths. That is, when presented with a slightly thinner plate, you just have to tighten a little more. The lever clamp isn't really adjustable (there is some tolerance but clearly not as much as with the screw clamp) and hence depends on plates made to a certain width. Any thinner than that and you're playing with fire ...
Eric Chan

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:03:20 pm »

Madmanchan is right on with his assessment...the screw clamps are adjustable and can take up any slack while the lever clamp is not adjustable, so the plate must be exact.  But the screw clamps are much slower to operate and the lever clamp allows easier attachment of the bracket.  And yes, RRS does have a trade-in policy, although it isn't really too much.  You must trade the old clamp for the same model lens or camera as the new clamp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up