Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpen more or less for Canvas  (Read 2980 times)

Oldfox

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 82
Sharpen more or less for Canvas
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »

I have a photo which is printed on A3 Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper. I am happy with the result.

When I print the same photo and same size on canvas (Epson Water Resistant Matte Canvas), should I use more/same amount/less sharpening than on the paper?
Logged

k_p98

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
Sharpen more or less for Canvas
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:16:15 pm »

Absolutely more!  It should actually look oversharpened, not something you would want to display on your screen, but once printed, it will give that same screen sharpness.  I find I also zoom in to just 50% in photoshop and look at it that way as a way to simulate a little.  At 100% it might look too sharp, but if at 50% it looks good, then it should print good as well.

Logged

neile

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1093
    • http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Sharpen more or less for Canvas
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:29 am »

This is where the value of the "Capture -> Creative -> Output" sharpening technique really shines. For canvas the only change I make is to switch to Matte/High in Lightroom's print module. The sharpening in the develop module remains the same.

Neil
Logged
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
Sharpen more or less for Canvas
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:58:59 am »

Quote from: Oldfox
I have a photo which is printed on A3 Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper. I am happy with the result.

When I print the same photo and same size on canvas (Epson Water Resistant Matte Canvas), should I use more/same amount/less sharpening than on the paper?
I would guess printing on that canvas you would need more, but it may not really matter, as the epson canvas really doesn't hold detail very well.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up