Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions about the Sigma 12-24 on a 5DII  (Read 9772 times)

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
Opinions about the Sigma 12-24 on a 5DII
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:07:10 pm »

Hi Guys!

I have a 4DII and I've been interested in the Sigma 12-24 lately, I'd like to know your opinion from a landscape photography point of view. How does the lens behave, weaknesses and strengths, etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

Luis

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:16:19 pm »

Quote from: Luis Argerich
Hi Guys!

I have a 4DII and I've been interested in the Sigma 12-24 lately, I'd like to know your opinion from a landscape photography point of view. How does the lens behave, weaknesses and strengths, etc.

Luis

I have one I use on a Sony a900. It's OK for, say, 8 by 10s and unusual effects, but it's not a lens for large prints.
Bill

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:14:37 pm »

Hi,

I have that lens on a Sony Alpha and posted a bunch of sample images (full size) here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/1224Demo/

Observations:

Usable for special effect. Corners are bad.

The images I posted should give you an idea.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Guys!

Luis
Erik Kaffehr

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:46:55 pm »

Hi Guys!

Luis
Stopped down and carefully used its a capable lens.  Nothing else out there offers 12mm rectangular so comparing the 12mm view against other lenses is pointless.  I use mine at 12-14mm often and am pleased with the results at any print size.

I've heard there are sample variations and I'm sure there all, but like more "defective lenses" we read about in forums I'm sure most of these are operator error/induced..

Sure, the corners are soft.  Show me a Canon mount wide without soft corners at 12-16mm and I'll go buy it.

The lens when compared to other choices starts to lose it's edge from 20-24mm.. but it still performs well enough where I won't hesitate to use it there.

Overall | think it's superior (above f8) to any of the Canon wide angle zooms I own or have used (16-35, 16-35 II, 17-40),  and only primes will give you significantly better results.  And even then there are only small differences above f8.  Below f8 there are much bigger differences.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:11 am »

Thanks a lot, I probably need more opinions as I found some comments that worry me. I do print quite large when I like a shot so I need the photo to stand for the large print.

Many thanks keel the feedback coming!

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:48:15 am »

Thanks a lot, I probably need more opinions as I found some comments that worry me. I do print quite large when I like a shot so I need the photo to stand for the large print.

Many thanks keel the feedback coming!
Luis -  All the opinions in the world isn't going to make the lens work any better.  Besides, it's silly to me to even say a lens won't make good large prints (when at the same time it makes good smaller prints) but that's besides the point.

Go rent or borrow the lens or walk into a store and try it out.  More opinions just isn't going to be helpful because I've never once seen a lens perform better by vote.. but as someone who prints large 'shots' you know that.  

Some people just get warm and fuzzy hearing someone likes something they're about to spend money on.. and I suppose I'm no exception.. but try to keep it in perspective.  No matter what ANYONE says here it doesn't guarantee one way or the other how your sample will work.

Luis Argerich

• Astrolandscaper
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:16:44 pm »

Thanks Steve, trying the lens is always the best way to evaluate it. Unfortunately I live in Argentina so I can't test it at any store nor I can rent it.
That's why the opinions and feedback are the only tool I have to decide.
Of course I can return it if I get a bad copy but I need to decide if a good copy will be good enough for me or not.

Cheers

Quote from: Steve Weldon
Luis -  All the opinions in the world isn't going to make the lens work any better.  Besides, it's silly to me to even say a lens won't make good large prints (when at the same time it makes good smaller prints) but that's besides the point.

Go rent or borrow the lens or walk into a store and try it out.  More opinions just isn't going to be helpful because I've never once seen a lens perform better by vote.. but as someone who prints large 'shots' you know that.  

Some people just get warm and fuzzy hearing someone likes something they're about to spend money on.. and I suppose I'm no exception.. but try to keep it in perspective.  No matter what ANYONE says here it doesn't guarantee one way or the other how your sample will work.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »

You could also take a look at this site (www.the-digital-picture.com) - it focuses on Canon lenses but there are Sigmas including the 12-24.  You can do comparions against ISO charts and vignetting between this lens and others.  May be helpful to you as another source of information.
[size=12p

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

Thanks Steve, trying the lens is always the best way to evaluate it. Unfortunately I live in Argentina so I can't test it at any store nor I can rent it.
That's why the opinions and feedback are the only tool I have to decide.
Of course I can return it if I get a bad copy but I need to decide if a good copy will be good enough for me or not.

Cheers
You probably already know the chink in Canon's armor is its wide angle lineup.. It's especially weak.  With that said a good copy of the Sigma 12-24 will 'better' the Canon wide-angle zooms from F8 up.  

Then there's the issue of a "good copy", how many bad ones are turned out.  I don't know this answer, but I can tell you this.  My students are usually so impressed with the lens after trying it out they go to the local store here in Bangkok and buy their own.  I can think of at least a dozen people who have done this, this year.  Not one copy was unacceptable.

Is it perfect.  No.  But it is better from f8 up.. than any of my Canon zooms.  Sharpness, distortion, contrast, and the color rendition is very "Canon like."  

I keep hoping Canon will make the equiv of the Nikkor 14-24mm.. perhaps.. we'll see.  But until then this Sigma is one of only two non-Canon lenses (excluding my Zuiko lenses) I use..

Good luck.

stever

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 03:15:06 pm »

i bought mine some time ago before there were any real wide angles for crop-frame cameras

the only thing i've used it for on a full frame camera is interior shots

i tested it a bit and at 17mm f8 it is sharp in the center and falls off very badly (but symetrically) towards the edges - significantly worse than a 17-40 - suspect mine is an average copy, but i can't believe a good copy would be dramatically better

unless you have a special application (which i can't conceive of) i wouldn't consider this lens for landscape, and certainly not if you want large prints

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »

Quote from: stever
i bought mine some time ago before there were any real wide angles for crop-frame cameras

the only thing i've used it for on a full frame camera is interior shots

i tested it a bit and at 17mm f8 it is sharp in the center and falls off very badly (but symetrically) towards the edges - significantly worse than a 17-40 - suspect mine is an average copy, but i can't believe a good copy would be dramatically better

unless you have a special application (which i can't conceive of) i wouldn't consider this lens for landscape, and certainly not if you want large prints
This just isn't my experience and I've used over a dozen copies.  I've heard people say this.. but have never seen in person the sample with a person who claims this.

1.  There is an entire 5mm (12-17) the 17-40 doesn't cover.. That's a world of difference in FOV.

2.  The copies I've used equal or better my 16-35 (and the 17-40's, 16-35 II's) I've sampled from 12-20mm at F8 or more.  There is a variance.. without a direct back to back comparison you really can't say either way.. but from using them on the same subject matter over and over again (the locations we visit) the 12-24 gives no ground at 12-20mm and f8 or greater and in most cases betters the Canon's..

3.  I'll never understand this 'not for large prints' mindset.. if the lens doesn't make acceptable large prints to me it's not going to make good small prints either.  Acceptable sharpness  in my view holds constant across print size with the resolving power of the sensor being the variable I'm worried about.

4.  From 20-24mm there are certainly better choices.. and from F5.6 or lower there are better.. And yes the corners are bad from 12-18mm.. but so far I haven't seen a lens in a Canon mount that's significantly better.  Soft corners unfortunately is to be expected in this focal range.

5.  A lot of what's 'acceptable' depends on subject matter..  And this is the issue with 'opinions' and forums.. our variance in opinions (what we consider acceptable, consider sharp, consider soft, etc) is always going to be far greater than the variance in lenses.  

6.  Would posting samples be useful?  Samples won't show if one lens is better than the other.. not with two or more people posting samples of different scenes using different cameras and different techniques.. but they might be useful for seeing if the resulting images are acceptable to the OP in general..  I've been making landscapes and more with my 12-24 for years and I've never.. not once.. had someone look at the image and say anything about soft anything.. they're usually looking at the image and not the pixels.  Which frankly is what I'm looking at when I make the images.

MatthewCromer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:51:01 pm »

A very simple and straightforward answer:  For landscape work, stitch.

Using, say, Sigma's 20/1.8  or your camera maker's 20/2.8 stopped down to f/8 or f/11 or so and take 3-4 frames.  You'll get far better detail and IQ than you will from any ultrawide.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:35 am »

Hi,

[attachment=21569:1224sample1.jpg]

Full size image here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/1...11-DSC05477.jpg

Some more samples (illustrating strength/weakness) here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/1224Demo/

Note: all these files are large! They are intended for potential buyers of the Sigma 12-24. Sorry for not having thumbnails!
It may be a good idea to download a few of these images and even print.

And, yes I do stitch, even with a 12mm lens: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/F...Melk1_large.jpg

This article is on stitching in general:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.ph...a-and-stitching

This article essentially says just do it:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.ph...s-quick-a-dirty

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: MatthewCromer
A very simple and straightforward answer:  For landscape work, stitch.

Using, say, Sigma's 20/1.8  or your camera maker's 20/2.8 stopped down to f/8 or f/11 or so and take 3-4 frames.  You'll get far better detail and IQ than you will from any ultrawide.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:57:07 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

tesfoto

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 04:04:30 am »

Hi Guys!

Luis

Dear Luis

I have the privilege to have access to an excellent dealer I my country who will let me test and hand pick the lenses I want.

It has been discussed many times that the sample variation of Canon lenses is large especially for zooms. Do a search and you have some interesting reading.

Regarding the Sigma 12-24 I tested 5 and I can honestly tell you that the sample variations of the Sigma 12-24 was larger than any Canon lens. They vary from good to the feel of looking through a coke bottle. I have no idea how Steve Weldon can somehow tell you something different.

Well I did buy the Sigma 12-24 and have been very happy with this lens. Distortion is very low but it does suffer from CA.

Later when the Canon 16-35II arrived and I got to hand pick a sample, the sharpness and crispiness was so much better than the Sigma 12-24. I did come with a cost:  more lens distortion and CA (this is easily corrected in post) I sold my 12-24 with no regret.

Then the TS-E 17 arrived and I have no idea how I could ever accept the sharpness of the 12-24 and even the 16-35. This lens is in a different league and you can stitch wider than the 12mm of the 12-24.

These are just words, but thanks to Erik Kaffehr you can look at files. If you look at the architectural shots with details this will show IMO a good sample of a 12-24 (mine was the same picked out of 5, but there might be better samples out there).

We all have different standards but looking at these files from Erik, this lens performance is an absolutely NO GO for ME when knowing what a good canon 16-35II can produce not to mention the 17TS-E.

My advice to you is not to buy the lens unless you can hand pick a good sample.

It the early years of RG forum and LL forum bad advice regarding lenses cost me a lot of money. Listening to advice from people who raved about a certain lens and who spoke their case well, let to many frustrations since my standards regarding lenses was not in sync with what I read and got exited about.

Good luck,

TES

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:47:34 am »

Hi,

Jus a small comment. I use the Sigma 12-24 as a "special effects" lens. My main interest is not wide angles or architecture. Also, I have an old 20/2.8 Minolta AF lens which is actually quite good, so sometimes I use that lens when I need corner to corner sharpness.

If I interpret TES correctly, the samples I have posted are fairly typical of a decent sample of the 12-24. There may be better samples but also worse ones.

If you are interested in really high quality wide angle lenses for Canon I would consider subscribing to these two sites:

http://www.diglloyd.com/dap/index.html

http://www.diglloyd.com/zf/index.html

Photozone has good info and its is even free: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: tesfoto
Dear Luis

I have the privilege to have access to an excellent dealer I my country who will let me test and hand pick the lenses I want.

It has been discussed many times that the sample variation of Canon lenses is large especially for zooms. Do a search and you have some interesting reading.

Regarding the Sigma 12-24 I tested 5 and I can honestly tell you that the sample variations of the Sigma 12-24 was larger than any Canon lens. They vary from good to the feel of looking through a coke bottle. I have no idea how Steve Weldon can somehow tell you something different.

Well I did buy the Sigma 12-24 and have been very happy with this lens. Distortion is very low but it does suffer from CA.

Later when the Canon 16-35II arrived and I got to hand pick a sample, the sharpness and crispiness was so much better than the Sigma 12-24. I did come with a cost:  more lens distortion and CA (this is easily corrected in post) I sold my 12-24 with no regret.

Then the TS-E 17 arrived and I have no idea how I could ever accept the sharpness of the 12-24 and even the 16-35. This lens is in a different league and you can stitch wider than the 12mm of the 12-24.

These are just words, but thanks to Erik Kaffehr you can look at files. If you look at the architectural shots with details this will show IMO a good sample of a 12-24 (mine was the same picked out of 5, but there might be better samples out there).

We all have different standards but looking at these files from Erik, this lens performance is an absolutely NO GO for ME when knowing what a good canon 16-35II can produce not to mention the 17TS-E.

It the early years of RG forum and LL forum bad advice regarding lenses cost me a lot of money. Listening to advice from people who raved about a certain lens and who spoke their case well, let to many frustrations since my standards regarding lenses was not in sync with what I read and got exited about.

Good luck,

TES
Erik Kaffehr

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 06:54:43 am »

Quote from: tesfoto

Good luck,

TES

Tes -  First, please don't misquote me.  It's not appreciated.  I never said the sample variation from Sigma was any worse or any better than Canon.  I simply gave my experience with more than a dozen samples.

Second, I also recommended he go to a dealer and rent/try/borrow one and see if it met his standards.

Third, I find it very interesting that you were "very happy" with the Sigma 12-24mm.. until you found something better.. and then your 'standards' increased when a new lens came out on the market.. You were "very happy" before, but now you can "never be happy" again with that lens.  I maintain this is a mentality we need to be careful of far more than choosing a bad lens.  Its nonsensical in the extreme.  Think about it.

Fourth, you didn't state at what focal lengths and apertures you claim the 16-35mm II betters the 12-24mm.  Obviously it cannot better it at 12-15mm at any aperture.  And in my experience with many samples the 16-35mm II is on par or perhaps a bit less at F8 or better.  I haven't tried the 17mm TSE yet.. and stitching is an option.. but it does change the intended utility of the lens so I think this becomes about far more than a lens when you bring stitching into the equation.

Some have said you can't get good quality "large" prints from the 12-24mm and I think this cannot be claimed unqualified.  I've made "large prints" for years from the 12-24mm.  I say if someone buys your prints or the client is happy when he pays for your work.. then the lens did just fine.  I don't have some abstract "personal standard" in my head..  I've never ever had someone point to one of my images from the 12-24mm (or any other lens for that matter) and tell me the print is unacceptable because of the lens.. or sharpness.. or any of the small pixel peeping details.  I think it's silly to think someone would.

But yes, for sure Luis should see what images come from this lens and see if he'd be happy with the images.   A quick look on the DPR forum today shows this thread (and several others featuring the 12-24mm) showing some images from the 12-24 from a guy who knows how to use his equipment.  He states he prints at 20x30 inches.. and looking at the images I believe him.  I don't think anyone who considers themselves a photographer  would look at these images and say "gee, that 12-24mm didn't do the scene justice" or something to that effect.

The 12-24mm in the right hands is going to take great images.  Yes, there is probably sample variation.  I just haven't experienced it and that should come as no surprise, a dozen samples is hardly representative.  Yes there are probably better lenses available.  Yes stitching would create more wide and detailed images.  But there is nothing else out there that allows a 12mm view, that you can easily hand hold, and use to take great images.  or 13mm.. Especially at this price point.  Personally I'm not even sure a Canon 14mm prime will do 'better' at F8 or better.  From 12-15mm it stands alone.. and from 16-20 it at least holds its own with anything else out there at F8 or better.  

I can say this because I've used it for over five years and handled over a dozen samples of the lens and many times that many 16-35's and 17-40's.  Of course the lenses you handled could perform differently.. it would be a more than a bit.. well.. weird.. to pretend I know how the lenses you used that I haven't seen performed..

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 07:18:41 am »

I've been using the Sigma 12-24 for about 5 years now, almost always on a 1D-series (1.3x crop factor) Canon body. I did, however, test a 1Ds Mark III full frame 21mp camera for a month last year, thanks to a Canon rep, so I think I can offer some useful comments for a 5D2 user.

I use the Sigma as a special purpose architectural and landscape lens. The lens requires Live View for best focusing, and it really needs to be stopped way down for best results. f/11 at a minimum. In my mind, this is not a hand-held lens, but needs to be on a tripod with very careful technique.

Overall the quality of the images is quite good, certainly better than any of the other 12mm Canon mount rectilinear lenses out there....
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:27 am »

Quote from: k bennett
I've been using the Sigma 12-24 for about 5 years now, almost always on a 1D-series (1.3x crop factor) Canon body. I did, however, test a 1Ds Mark III full frame 21mp camera for a month last year, thanks to a Canon rep, so I think I can offer some useful comments for a 5D2 user.

I use the Sigma as a special purpose architectural and landscape lens. The lens requires Live View for best focusing, and it really needs to be stopped way down for best results. f/11 at a minimum. In my mind, this is not a hand-held lens, but needs to be on a tripod with very careful technique.

Overall the quality of the images is quite good, certainly better than any of the other 12mm Canon mount rectilinear lenses out there....

I agree.  I use this lens quite often for interiors of boats and rv and have for quite a few years.  Ther is simply nothing else like this lens if you have the need.  That noted I use this lens in the 12- 16 range.  Beyond that there is better glass. I shoot ( now ) a 1DsmkIII.

You need to very carefully focus and stop down.  I prefer f8 to 11.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up