Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Leopard, hardware calibration and bugs  (Read 2136 times)

AlanRei

Snow Leopard, hardware calibration and bugs
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:43 am »

Hi,
I found this very strange thing using my i1 Display 2 and Spyder 3 calibrators in Snow Leopard (since 10.6.0 to newest 10.6.3):
I use to automatically change the background image of my desktop in random order (from System Preferences) every 5 minutes.
As soon as I updated the OS everything was ok and every time I restarted my computer I found a new image on the desktop (like in MacOS 10.5).
Now, after calibrating the display with the i1 Display 2 or the Spyder 3, using software from Xrite and from ColorEyes, suddenly the picture is the same every time I restart the computer.
Basically, the randomization is ok, but the starting image is always the same, opposite of before I calibrated.
I know this is not related with problems of color calibration itself, but I am making some test here, to figure out what kind of setup is better for my studio and I also found another strange problem in my testing:
this morning I tested my V4 ICC support on the www.color.org page and everything was fine (just after I updated to OS 10.6.3), but after calibrating the display, the result changed and now I have problems visualizing the test image in the website and on PDF file. I don't really know if this is related to the previous bug, but I think there is some problem in the color management pipeline that Apple must be aware of.

Hope this will go to the right people who can help better than me.

Ciao
Alan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:58:00 am »

Quote from: AlanRei
I tested my V4 ICC support on the www.color.org page and everything was fine (just after I updated to OS 10.6.3), but after calibrating the display, the result changed and now I have problems visualizing the test image in the website and on PDF file.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with the issue of random desktop, but the test above doesn’t really help in determining if OTHER applications will have issues with V4 profiles (some do). It be wise to consider recalibrating and saving the profile as a V2 for the time being.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

AlanRei

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:24:51 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
I don’t know if this has anything to do with the issue of random desktop, but the test above doesn’t really help in determining if OTHER applications will have issues with V4 profiles (some do). It be wise to consider recalibrating and saving the profile as a V2 for the time being.

I know, but I think the problem is not directly related to the ICC version, but to some strange way the calibration is stored and interpreted by OSX. Otherwise why the test in color.org website was good before I re-calibrated after updating to 10.6.3???

It's very strange.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up