Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tripod ideas for DSLR  (Read 3520 times)

etrexler

New tripod ideas for DSLR
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:03:50 pm »

Everyone,

I'm looking for a new tripod to replace my trusty old Bogen carbon fiber from the 90s as its cracking.  I need something sturdy, but lightweight to hold my Canon 5D MII and travel the world with me for another decade.  I know tripods aren't that exciting and they aren't reviewed very often.  I've been to B&H several times but I'm looking for more user feedback since they all look good in the stores.  My current sticks are a 3 piece setup, but I'd be willing to go to 4 if that make sense.  Most of my work is outside for landscapes, but I need to travel good distances with my Guru Gear pack and tripod strapped in so it can't be too large.

Any ideas or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Eric

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »

I have a Gitzo 2541 ... perfect for my D700 and 70-200 ... I love it.

I chose the 4 section because it fits in a carry-on for the plane.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:34:35 pm »

I'm in the same boat as my aluminum Manfrotto is showing its 11 years of age, one hinge is cracked but still functional, and one leg slips - so working but not as sturdy as I'd like it to be. Broke the quick release handle on my Manfrotto ballhead as well so now it's more of a PITA-release. Both have taken quite a beating at airports and in use, and am very satisfied how it's held up, though.

I wanted something very light and very small so I can fit it in/on a motorcycle saddle bag, and ended up ordering a Gitzo 1541T with a Markins ballhead specifically designed for that tripod.

Freakishly small at 41cm folded, light at less than 1kg, quick to open with one twist of the wrist, reportedly rock solid. It specs to 8kg load, and from what I've heard it takes a full-sized dSLR with a medium-sized telephoto well. Long telephotos get a bit wobbly due to weight being more off-center - don't own any and don't plan on getting any, so no issue for me. Downsides are very high price and it's not as tall as some of the bigger ones, especially with the center column down.

stever

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:20:24 pm »

i think the Gitzo is too light for use with a DSLR and got a Feisol ct-3441s instead - very happy with it

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:21:41 pm »

Quote from: stever
i think the Gitzo is too light for use with a DSLR and got a Feisol ct-3441s instead - very happy with it

I was convinced by the 51 pages of comments in the link I gave, many of them using the Gitzon with dSLRs.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:29:14 pm »

Hi,

I like the Velbon Sherpa Pro, have a 630 model. I also have Gitzo GT3541LS (the normal size 35 with four leg section). It's a bit to large for the Gura Gear.

Regarding heads I have the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, and two RRS head the BH40 and the BH55. I'd say all of these are good. The BH40 is a bit two cramped on the GT3541LS, as the top plate is very large (I didn't want a center column). Would I buy another Actratech head I would opt to buy it without the quick release and mount a RRS level type QR on it instead. I didn't try the Markins heads but they are supposed to be very good.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: etrexler
Everyone,

I'm looking for a new tripod to replace my trusty old Bogen carbon fiber from the 90s as its cracking.  I need something sturdy, but lightweight to hold my Canon 5D MII and travel the world with me for another decade.  I know tripods aren't that exciting and they aren't reviewed very often.  I've been to B&H several times but I'm looking for more user feedback since they all look good in the stores.  My current sticks are a 3 piece setup, but I'd be willing to go to 4 if that make sense.  Most of my work is outside for landscapes, but I need to travel good distances with my Guru Gear pack and tripod strapped in so it can't be too large.

Eric
Erik Kaffehr

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 05:57:17 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I have a Gitzo 2541 ... perfect for my D700 and 70-200 ... I love it.

I chose the 4 section because it fits in a carry-on for the plane.

Do you mean you have taken a tripod inside a plane?
I always assumed I would not pass controls with such a thing with me...

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:22:19 am »

Quote from: EduPerez
Do you mean you have taken a tripod inside a plane?
I always assumed I would not pass controls with such a thing with me...
Yes, I do all the time.

Gould Photography

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:45:47 am »

Hi Eric,
My father has this tripod that he has carried all over the country http://www.rtsphoto.com/html/cullm2.html
I have seen and used it. It felt pretty sturdy and is definitely compact when collapsed and folded.

Hope this helps some

Steve
www.gouldphoto.com

Quote from: etrexler
Everyone,

Eric

tokengirl

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:32 pm »

I recently upgraded my Manfrotto 055CXPro4 for a Gitzo GT3531 and I could not be happier.  It weighs about the same, but is much more stable, sturdy and easier to deploy.  I do not find that having 3 sections instead of 4 is a burden, in fact quite the opposite, as it's faster to set up.  While the Gitzo cost almost twice as much, it was totally worth it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »

Quote from: Gould Photography
Hi Eric,
My father has this tripod that he has carried all over the country http://www.rtsphoto.com/html/cullm2.html
I have seen and used it. It felt pretty sturdy and is definitely compact when collapsed and folded.

Hope this helps some

Steve
www.gouldphoto.com

Gitzo makes a fine product; that's certainly no secret.  Among my gear I have a Cullman 2504 tripod that is now... 27 years old.  Last year I contacted Cullmann because I needed a couple of replacement parts for one of the legs and they sent them for free.  That kind of service is hard to find these days.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up