Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your fat, old, hairy friend...  (Read 16028 times)

vandevanterSH

Your fat, old, hairy friend...
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2010, 11:13:39 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
So how many of you guys (or gals) ever rode a Norton? My other bike (before the BMW) was a Norton with single 500cc cylinder. Loud, wild, unreliable, but fun. 

1955 BSA A10 Road Rocket....still have it,  still leaks oil and requires a baking tin under the crank-case.  Newer bike is the Triumph Thruxton,  a modern Cafe Racer.

Steve

dseelig

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »

From a tall old bald but not quite fat, about 10 to 15 lbs overweight, can one of you other old bald fat short guys with too much money, give a poor struggling photographer a 39 mp back for a contax? In return you get a lifetime of gratitude place to stay when In Hailey idaho, by sun valley, and undying gratitude. I just figure I am better off with the back then you guys are with a motorcycle that could easily hurt you. LOL well it was worth a try. David
www.davidseelig.com
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:01:58 pm by dseelig »

Ray

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »

Quote from: dseelig
From a tall old bald but not quite fat, about 10 to 15 lbs overweight, can one of you other old bald fat short guys with too much money, give a poor struggling photographer a 39 mp back for a contax? In return you get a lifetime of gratitude place to stay when In Hailey idaho, by sun valley, and undying gratitude. I just figure I am better off with the back then you guys are with a motorcycle that could easily hurt you. LOL well it was worth a try. David
www.davidseelig.com

There's a very instructive principle of economics called 'opportunity cost'. You have a certain amount of money available to you, including credit, and you have to decide what expenditures of such money will give you the greatest satisfaction.

Is it perhaps a 1,000cc BMW, or a $50,000 MFDB system? If you are wealthy, you can have both. If you are not, you may have to choose.

On the other hand, you can juggle the satisfaction benefits between the two very desirable items to find out the relative priorities.

For example, would you prefer the swankiest BMW available, but a humble Canon 550D, because that's all you can afford? Or would you prefer the ultimate MFDB system, but a humble Honda 250cc bike, because that's all you can afford?

It's your choice. Don't whinge.

dseelig

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 11:45:13 pm »

What is whinge. I am a pro photographer, that is the only profession I have had through 52 years . If Ray you are making a joke fine if not look at my website before you try to tell me something.  I was kidding with the request, I am very happy with the choices I have made with my life, I just do not think you were kidding and do not appreciate how I see your words.

Ray

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:08 pm »

What is whinge.

I still have my Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, bought in 1974. It's interesting that it doesn't have an entry for 'whinge'. Maybe this dictionary is just out of date, although whinge is a very old term of British origin.

It basically means to moan or complain. British immigrants to Australia are/were sometimes called 'whinging poms'. They whinged because they were disatisfied with life in Australia as a result of the very different conditions and circumstance to those they had been used to in England.

I got the impression that behind your comment was a bit of a whinge, whether in jest or not. My reply was not so much directed at you personally, but at the general situation of people buying stuff without full consideration of the 'opportunity cost' principle.

However, if I've offended you, then of course I apologise. Don't let me spoil your day. Be happy!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:57:46 pm by Ray »

dseelig

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »

I accept the apology and in the future do not make assumptions about people you do not know.

Ray

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 12:10:21 am »

I accept the apology and in the future do not make assumptions about people you do not know.

Sorry! But it's unavoidable that we make assuptions based upon the post, whether such assumptions are justified or not, misunderstood or not.

I don't know you and you don't know me. For all I know, you could be a child molester, a rapist and an ex-criminal. And the same applies to me from your perspective.

The thing that brings us together on this forum is our common interest in photography where we can respond to ideas, concepts and techniques that are related to photography, however loosely.

I'm instinctively suspicious of people who make a big deal out of a small insult. Take it from there.

dseelig

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 01:06:18 am »

Why insult people you do not know? If you want to know sometimes reactions are about something else in someone's life. Last year in this forum I gave thanks for these forums for being here. you see I had lost my wife to alcohol.  MY wife was a great lady from a family where she was blamed for everything sstarting from her father to her siblings to her first husband and lastly her children. To get away from the abuse she draink.I had never seen such negativity and emotional abuse and yes marrying her I got the abuse too.  So forgive me for not liking someone  giving me grief when they do not know me and just make a stupid assumption.  Life is too short, why be negative.  Maybe Ray you should keep your suspicions to your self and not dump on someone.

Ray

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:54 am »

Why insult people you do not know? If you want to know sometimes reactions are about something else in someone's life. Last year in this forum I gave thanks for these forums for being here. you see I had lost my wife to alcohol.  MY wife was a great lady from a family where she was blamed for everything sstarting from her father to her siblings to her first husband and lastly her children. To get away from the abuse she draink.I had never seen such negativity and emotional abuse and yes marrying her I got the abuse too.  So forgive me for not liking someone  giving me grief when they do not know me and just make a stupid assumption.  Life is too short, why be negative.  Maybe Ray you should keep your suspicions to your self and not dump on someone.

I see your problem. I've already explained that the thrust of my earlier comment was about the objective and unemotional economic principle of 'opportinity cost', not an intention to personally insult you, which I've already aplogised for, since you took it as an insult.

If you are sensitive and frail, emotionally disturbed and distraught for any reason, for God's sake don't participate in banter on such forums as this, and especially not on dpreview.

During my time on this forum I've been called an idiot, a moron, an illogical twit and quite a few other derogatory terms which I can't recall because I don't dwell upon such matters.

All I did was imply indirectly that you might be a bit of a whinger. Get over it! I apologise again.

dseelig

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 03:34:58 am »

Ray
Sorry you cannot see my point do not guess as to my state assumtions make people an ___ . My point is  simple why be negative. Sorry you do not get it . I would not waste time at get dpi. Just here sportsshooter get dpi and rangefinder forum. I was never hurt just wondered why, I was going to offer you a dollar so you could buy a sense of humor.
David

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:34 am »

Gentlemen - enough already!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up