Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Your fat, old, hairy friend...  (Read 16029 times)

Photo Op

Your fat, old, hairy friend...
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »

Here goes. The original topic that contains the words found in the Title of this thread has been closed, so I can't make the comment there. And at the risk of being called a fanboy on several levels, I would like to request that the Forum Owner ban the author of the phrase for at least 10 years. As a fat, old, hairy reader of this forum, I take offense to that characterization. No suspension, no probation..just make him history. AND, make the announcement as the last entry in the Topic, so any like minded authors can have pause for thought.
David

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »

Oh Michael, you spoilsport.

And it was just getting good . . .

John  
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:25:31 pm »

Quote from: John R Smith

:~)

Well, poor Jerry thinks he's "special" because Adobe and NAPP decided to do a last minute wide beta release for purposes I'm not at liberty to completely explain (but DID have to do with the platform Jerry uses). And I do know the circumstances regarding the NAPP testers involvement and what rules have been set and the primary motive was for technical testing not so much marketing...

Jerry seems to think I've had a falling out and I'm no longer a "beta tester" for Adobe...which is really pretty funny because he's essentially correct...I don't do a lot of "beta testing" anymore because I don't have the time for it (although I do submit bug reports). I do a lot of engineering development and consultation on Camera Raw, Lightroom and Photoshop. Which is, of course, not beta testing but still subject to NDAs...

I'm actually not in the least bit pissed off by the phrase "fat, old, hairy friend". It's both descriptive and accurate; I am a friend of Andrew and I am fat, old and hairy.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Well, poor Jerry thinks he's "special" because Adobe and NAPP decided to do a last minute wide beta release for purposes I'm not at liberty to completely explain (but DID have to do with the platform Jerry uses).

Well he’s somewhat special at least as a “Super Moderator” over on the ProPhoto forums where he feels its OK to delete posts where he’s called out for the same issues discussed here. So he’s both a special late beta tester who needs to hone his Photoshop skills and a censor. Now I do know who I feel more sorry for, its Adobe.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 04:06:15 pm »

I'm actually not in the least bit pissed off by the phrase "fat, old, hairy friend". It's both descriptive and accurate; I am a friend of Andrew and I am fat, old and hairy.

It's classic, isn't it - no-one here is ever going to forget this piece of Sunday afternoon nonsense. And I am also old, hairy, short and bald into the bargain. But still tolerably slim  

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 04:48:39 pm »

...And I am also old, hairy, short and bald into the bargain.

Ah, well, if you throw in SHORT & BALD into the equation, then if the guy had said "old, hairy, short, bald & fat" then I would be pissed...I'm not short and while my forehead has grown, I hate being called "bald".

Ray

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:59:44 pm »

Nothing wrong with being old and hairy, Jeff. But not even the American health reforms will save you from the consequences of obesity.

Provided your heart is okay, can I suggest 2 month's trek in the Himalayas, at least 8 hours every day. This is a most enjoyable way of losing weight. You can partake in your passion for photography at the same time whilst burning off the fat. The combination of altitude sickness and plain food also helps reduce your appetite and contributes towards further weight loss.

You'll soon be so slim and dapper, you'll hardly recognise yourself   .

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 07:35:44 pm »

Quote from: Ray
Nothing wrong with being old and hairy, Jeff. But not even the American health reforms will save you from the consequences of obesity.

Well, I'm taking steps to deal with the morbid obesity–literally. (don't ya just love medical terms?)

I workout for 1.5 hrs 3 days a week and walk 1.5-2 miles (30 minutes) for the other 2 weekdays. My problem now seems to be the weekends...I will say my cholesterol is better than Obama's and my blood pressure is well under control.

I added a lot of weight post 2007 when I quit smoking. The goal of this year is to get below where I was when I quit then keep going...

As for the "old" not sure what I can do about that...when it comes to hairy, no way will I EVER not have a beard (too friggin' lazy to shave–plus it hurts) and not having a pony tail isn't an option either...

So...the only thing it looks like I have the power to modify in the "Your fat, old, hairy friend..." phrase is the fat parameter.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:36:51 pm by Schewe »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 07:40:16 pm »

I workout for 1.5 hrs 3 days a week and walk 1.5-2 miles (30 minutes) for the other 2 weekdays. My problem now seems to be the weekends...I will say my cholesterol is better than Obama's and my blood pressure is well under control.

I added a lot of weight post 2007 when I quit smoking. The goal of this year is to get below where I was when I quit then keep going...

Sounds like a good start. Weight lifting is more efficient for weight loss * than cardio, but it's better to do something than nothing. Also, diet is one third of keeping in shape (the last being proper rest), so all sugars should be minimized for starters.

* when people talk about weight loss they usually mean fat weight loss. One can gain weight but look leaner since muscle is more dense than fat.

Photo Op

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:14 pm »

Geez! This thread is getting out of hand. All this talk about weight loss, cardio and cholesterol is down right depressing. This is not the tone I come here to read about from the Harley rider (that might get "him" going).  
David

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:30:11 pm »

Quote from: Photo Op
This is not the tone I come here to read about from the Harley rider (that might get "him" going).  

Harley? What planet are you from dooode?

I ride a BMW R1200 GS Adventure...This is my new bike. My old 1996 R1100 GS got traded in with 96K miles.

Harley? Really?

Why? The beard?

Heck, even the current Hell's Angles president is riding BMW now...

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »

I ride a BMW R1200 GS Adventure...This is my new bike. My old 1996 R1100 GS got traded in with 96K miles.

Harley? Really?

Why? The beard?

Heck, even the current Hell's Angles president is riding BMW now...

Now you're making me feel bad - I'm waiting for the weather to get better here so I can pick up my Harley (in red) from the shop.

No facial hair here, overweight is muscle mass and midlife is still several years off

That's a nice BMW, though.

Photo Op

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »

That's better. I was starting to think you were mellowing on us.
David

michael

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:42 pm »

Oh Michael, you spoilsport.

John  

Not me, I've been off line all day. Must have been my alter-ego.

Michael

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 08:50:58 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Now you're making me feel bad - I'm waiting for the weather to get better here so I can pick up my Harley (in red) from the shop.

Funny that you say it's in the shop–which when I did have a Harley that's exactly where it spent a lot of time at. I switched to BMW (and the GS in particular) because I could load my computer and some cameras/lenses and go 500-700 miles a day no problem. Ya see, I'm about 1,000 miles from really nice riding and it just takes too long if you only do 250 miles a day like most Harley riders :~)

So, what model is your red one?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 09:26:00 pm »

It's classic, isn't it - no-one here is ever going to forget this piece of Sunday afternoon nonsense.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »

Ah, well, if you throw in SHORT & BALD into the equation, then if the guy had said "old, hairy, short, bald & fat" then I would be pissed...I'm not short and while my forehead has grown, I hate being called "bald".

How about follicley challenged?

MelHill

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »

Schewe

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »

Quote from: MelHill
Who owned this Harley?

Oh, it was my FLSTS alright...but I didn't put over 3,000 miles on it before I sold it. My 1996 R1100 had 96,000 miles on it when I traded it in last year...

Greg Barnett

• http://
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:29 pm »

Jeff, are we old????.... Damn, I thought our age bracket was the new 30?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up