Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5Dmk2 vs new T2i--Can't believe my eyes  (Read 4307 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
5Dmk2 vs new T2i--Can't believe my eyes
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:14:47 pm »

I have been comparing the 5Dmk2--7D and the new T2i.  some websites like imaging-resource and others have posted comparison test images with their reviews.  When I look the it the Imaging-resource in particular, what I see is much better image quality coming from the T2i than the 5D.  THis is also seen to some degree form other sites as well but not consistently.  Seeing this comparison has me confused.  How can a camera at 1/3 the cost with a smaller chip and pixel size the cost achieve this level of quality?  Am I missing something here?  Do others see what I am seeing?  Is what I am seeing real?

Can anyone shed some light of this?

Thanks

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

michaelnotar

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:36 pm »

is this regarding video or stills? i have the 7D, same chip, its about 1/2 stop cleaner than my 1d mark III at high ISO. i still regard the 1d Mark III at only 10MP as having better image quality. still getting used to the 7D tho, its my backup rig, just has to work, and I shoot video on it alot.

I went from having a back up camera, aka a bicycle vs a car aka my 1d3, to having a second car for my backup, but its got its own charm.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »

FWIW, DxOMark comparison favors 5DII, but not by a large margin. Whether the margin is big enough to justify tripling (?) the price is another matter - I chose to stick with my 450D as I determined it's not.

One factor which might play a part in what you see could be lenses. 550D/T2i is a crop sensor camera, so it uses the sharpest part of the lens; lenses with poor IQ in the edges would look worse on the 5DII (to a certain extent).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:27:16 pm by feppe »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:57:09 pm »

I checked and the same lense is used in these comparisons so that should eliminate this as a factor.

I have no interest in the video aspects of these cameras, only the still photo aspects
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:05:29 am by mdijb »
mdiimaging.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:36:39 am »

Quote from: mdijb
I checked and the same lense is used in these comparisons so that should eliminate this as a factor.

As a matter of fact it doesn't eliminate it. Again, a lens with poor edge IQ performs worse on a FF camera than on a cropped sensor, ceteris paribus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up