Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR library question  (Read 1717 times)

netherscurial

LR library question
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:39:28 am »

Hello, I am trying to move a catalog and the files over to a firewire drive to use on my laptop but I can get my lightroom on the macbook pro to read it. I hit option when starting up and I selected the library on the FW drive but the photos are not there in the LR library window. Both my macbook pro and my mac pro have the same version, LR 2.4. Am i doing something wrong?

thanks!

Kevin

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
LR library question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:38 am »

Quote from: netherscurial
Hello, I am trying to move a catalog and the files over to a firewire drive to use on my laptop but I can get my lightroom on the macbook pro to read it. I hit option when starting up and I selected the library on the FW drive but the photos are not there in the LR library window. Both my macbook pro and my mac pro have the same version, LR 2.4. Am i doing something wrong?

thanks!

Kevin

You do know that the images are separate from the LR catalog? You have to copy both, plus all the previews that LR has generated. Strictly speaking, copying the previews is not needed because LR can regenerate them, although that can take time.

Better to use the LR Export as Catalog command than trying to copy files manually.

netherscurial

LR library question
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:11 pm »

Yes I copied both the actual images and the catalog....that's why I thought it was weird.

I will try the export thingy.

francois

LR library question
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:05:38 am »

Quote from: netherscurial
Yes I copied both the actual images and the catalog....that's why I thought it was weird.

I will try the export thingy.
Kevin ,
I use the "Export as catalog…" function all the time. It has always worked fine. Be sure to include negative files (raw files). Exporting previews is optional as Lightroom will rebuild them when needed. It just takes time to do it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:06:08 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up